Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

A lucky escape from the Red Ring of Death?

Shoot em up? Adventures? Here we go!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Hey all,

I know how annoying the Red Ring of Death is. And when I switched on my '360 today, I thought I had it because I had 3 quarters of my power button flashing red at me.

But I unplugged and reconnected everything and everything. When I turned it on, the console loaded up with no problem. (I even had a quick game of Dead Rising.)

My question is, was my experience an omen of an upcoming RROD? Or was it just a lucky escape?

If you aren't willing to stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Lex iniusta non est lex

Grand Master
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: Snarky

Posted on

We have been lucky and never experienced the red ring of death. I've always escaped the red ring of fire after curry too :)

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

From what I've read at xbox.com, that's a sign of an impending hardware failure. Three red lights = bad. Get ready to send it back to Mickey$haft.

Loves The place!

Posted on

Uh, I had a bad feeling this was to be the case. Just when I was going to be getting Fallout 3, Fable 2 and Gears of War 2...

If you aren't willing to stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Lex iniusta non est lex

Grand Master

Posted on

They're pretty quick, i got mine back in about a week with a new drive and mobo.

Smegster
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

I had to send my '360 off to Frankfurt once, and they were quite quick with it. However, my profile was corrupted by the time it came back and I had to re-earn my gamerscore all over again from scratch.

Lex iniusta non est lex

Grand Master

Posted on

A mate of mine works for Game and they do X box repairs. He said one tip is to keep it upright rather than flat to help avoid that. :confused:

Really Hooked!

Posted on

Thanks for the tip, Suzy. I think I'll try that. :)

*pops upstairs to try it.*

Lex iniusta non est lex

Grand Master

Posted on

SuzyQ wrote:A mate of mine works for Game and they do X box repairs. He said one tip is to keep it upright rather than flat to help avoid that. :confused:

Curiously they reccomend the exact opposite on the XBOX forums - reason being is in verticle position the heat not only travels all the way through the console (as heat rises, a vertically mounted console will have the heat pass through it), and not only because you can knock it over...

...but because when you mount it vertically you actually block approximately 25% of the ventilation grills - not a good thing.

Loves The place!

Posted on

Essence of wok wrote:
SuzyQ wrote:A mate of mine works for Game and they do X box repairs. He said one tip is to keep it upright rather than flat to help avoid that. :confused:

Curiously they reccomend the exact opposite on the XBOX forums - reason being is in verticle position the heat not only travels all the way through the console (as heat rises, a vertically mounted console will have the heat pass through it), and not only because you can knock it over...

...but because when you mount it vertically you actually block approximately 25% of the ventilation grills - not a good thing.

It depends where the heat is 'rising to'.
If turning it on one end is being reccomended, then it would be important to find out 'which' end, cos the idea may be about minimising heat to certain components on the circuit board.
Either the CPU, or heat sensing circuitry at a guess.
Be relatively easy to find some way of mounting it on one end, with a gap clearing the floor with a bit of constructive DIY?
Couple of bits of wood, with an xbox shaped square section cut out ot each?

Bought the missus a Wii this year.
Not that Nintendo seem to be genius at creating after sale add-ons and after sale gizmo's.
Why do they offer a 'cooling' base, if the main unit is designed properly?

Pictures of me naked viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10495

Super Smegsterwegsta
Current Mood: Down, down, deeper and down.

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:We have been lucky and never experienced the red ring of death. I've always escaped the red ring of fire after curry too :)

Wish I could say the same.
Vividly remember my first ever 'Indian' in Corby and dripping blood into the loo the next day!

Probably where they got the name from;

Vin de Loo :rofl:

or

Jelly Botty, from the Jolly Gapatti.

Pictures of me naked viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10495

Super Smegsterwegsta
Current Mood: Down, down, deeper and down.

Posted on

Raffles wrote:
Essence of wok wrote:

It depends where the heat is 'rising to'.
If turning it on one end is being reccomended, then it would be important to find out 'which' end, cos the idea may be about minimising heat to certain components on the circuit board.
Either the CPU, or heat sensing circuitry at a guess.
Be relatively easy to find some way of mounting it on one end, with a gap clearing the floor with a bit of constructive DIY?
Couple of bits of wood, with an xbox shaped square section cut out ot each?

Bought the missus a Wii this year.
Not that Nintendo seem to be genius at creating after sale add-ons and after sale gizmo's.
Why do they offer a 'cooling' base, if the main unit is designed properly?

I am not techy about this at all, but the reason he gave was to do with heat distribution and if it is flat on a surface there is a lot more surface contact and therefore less area for the heat to dissapate. Much more heat is trapped between the console and surface area. With regard to which way up, that would be flat end down.

Really Hooked!

Posted on

SuzyQ wrote:I am not techy about this at all, but the reason he gave was to do with heat distribution and if it is flat on a surface there is a lot more surface contact and therefore less area for the heat to dissapate. Much more heat is trapped between the console and surface area. With regard to which way up, that would be flat end down.

Turning it on end blocks vents. Also consider that when it's in horizontal mode it has a larger surface area at the top, which means there's a larger area to dissipate heat (as heat goes up).

Standing it on end just means the heat has to travel through the xbox before it can effectively dissipate, though it does mean a larger surface area exposed to the air.

There seems to be a lot of discussion on this but no real definitive answer...

...in short, if you're worried - get an intercooler :rofl:

Loves The place!

Posted on

Mines just done it, the mobo is only about two months old as well. :mad1:

Smegster

Posted on

Essence of wok wrote:

What he said. :)

Obviosuly siting it near a radiator or in a cabinet or anywhere where airflow is restricted will make a big difference.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

Mines working again with the exception of the wireless, if it happens again I'll send it off to get repaired and then flog it on its return. I'll just stick with the PS3, the PS3 may lack the selection of games available on the 360 but at least it was put together properly,

Smegster

Posted on

I was tempted to get a 360 at one time but after hearing about the RROD problems I decided to go for the PS3 after and I'm happy with it plus with my current Laptop I can take advantage of some of the PC Games out at the moment it plays quite a few of the newer games with no problems.

Cymru Ar gyfer Rhyddid

http://www.main.ffafansite.co.uk/

Super Smegster
How Hot Are You?: Scorchio!
Current Mood: Memory & Humanity is finally here

Posted on

Mines just gone tits up.

Whether long range weapon or suicide bomber a wicked mind is a weapon of mass destruction whether you're soar away sun or BBC 1 misinformation is a weapon of mass destruc you could a Caucasian or a poor Asian racism is a weapon of mass destruction whether inflation or globalization fear is a weapon of mass destruction whether Halliburton or Enron or anyone greed is a weapon of mass destruction we need to find courage, overcome inaction is a weapon of mass destruction

Bra Burning Hippy
Current Mood: waiting

Posted on

GIR wrote:Mines just gone tits up.

To expand - the Red Light Of Death, bottom-right quadrant, error code E74. Right as I was playing AC For Answer, too :(

MS are sending the label of doom...

Loves The place!

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Gaming