Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Limewire is shut down!!

Got any cool links? Or even links to avoid? Let us know.

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Limewire is shut down!!

Bovvered :)


Image
RIP Limewire
LimeWire's launch predates the Apple iPod by 19 months and the iTunes store by 23 months. Today millions of users accustomed to illegally sharing copyrighted content over the past decade will be temporarily inconvenienced after a permanent injunction against LimeWire's illegal peer-to-peer filesharing operation.

The New York federal court ruling is a significant, but not game-changing legal victory for a battered music industry. But LimeWire as we know it is dead. As with the closure of other peer-to-peer networks such as Napster before it, LimeWire must now go legit.

The permanent injunction follows a four-year legal battle brought by music industry heavyweight, the Recording Industry Association of America. The level of damages faced by the site will be revealed in January – the RIAA says LimeWire has single-handedly cost the music industry hundreds of millions of dollars.

Ripples from the ruling will reach the internet's innumerable other peer-to-peer networks. But history says it will do no more. The internet is awash with people sharing things, legally and illegally.

"It's not about the technology, it's a paradigm shift," says Mark Mulligan, an analyst specialising in music at Forrester Research. And the notion that you can eradicate illicit filesharing if you eradicate particular networks is a fallacy.

"It's so much more than that," Mulligan adds. "The record labels have won this battle, but they've not won the war."

Some have predicted that the LimeWire closure will have an "unprecedented impact" on peer-to-peer filesharing. Hold your horses, look at the history books, says Mulligan.

"It's significant to a degree but I wouldn't say it's game-changing or will change the filesharing landscape. There are many instances of filesharing networks [where] once the legislative process has caught up with them they've just tried to make a pass towards legitimacy. Look at Napster and Kazaa – there are numerous examples," he adds.

"It has done nothing to dent the scale of filesharing. The reason they fileshare is not because they love the way the technology works, it's because it's easily accessible content which is free.

"The simple fact is that the vast majority of music fans don't like paying for music – and that's even more pronounced in the filesharing community. Look at Spotify, they're at a peak conversion rate [percentage of paying customers among all users] of 5% at the moment – and it's that high because of their iPhone strategy and portability."

The best case scenario for freemium models of music streaming is a 10% conversion rate, insists Mulligan. "LimeWire even in their wildest dreams couldn't hope to convert that amount of people. Hopefully for LimeWire's sake and for the industry's sake they can convert a small amount of users, that's the best they can hope."

The solution, experts predict, is a service free at the point of access and subsidised by a third-party carrier – a mobile operator or an internet service provider, for example.

"This is where LimeWire should start to play," Mulligan says. "In the current landscape that's the only way that free can be made to pay."

George Searle, LimeWire chief executive, today put on a brave face. "Our team of technologists and music enthusiasts is creating a completely new music service that puts you back at the centre of your digital music experience," he wrote on the parent company's site. "We'll be sharing more details about our new service and look forward to bringing it to you in the future."
Article Source

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 118687
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

a what :confused: "it's a paradigm shift " what the fuck does that mean :rofl:
usual yank shite talk :roll:

Trying is the first step towards failure...Homer Simpson
"Ahhhhhh bollox.... whats the point "... Me :D
I would like to thank the MOD for all of their support over the years ...thanks for fuck all :fingers:
do whaaaaaa ? :tizzles:

User avatar
It's all bollocks!
Posts: 47305
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:33 am
Location: Sunny, scintillating Blackpool . Riiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhtttttt
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: FUCKIN' FUCKITTY BOLLOCKS !!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

I also spotted a new word : "Freemium" :roll:

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 118687
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

I haven't used Limewire for years. record companies used to litter it with fake mp3s anyway. Although the fun bit was browsing other users shared folders. Found some 'interesting stuff' in there form time to time when people have been careless. I remember once seeing a guy's wedding photos and then seeing his collection of bestiality pics. :howl: :howl: :howl: :howl:

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 118687
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

I was on Limewire back in the day, I got to see a few hard drives on there (no bestiality though :D ) but some tasty expensive software, some of which I snaffled. Lots of MP3s too and more than my fair share of viruses. Twas all good fun I suppose but I don;t go anywhere near illegal shite these days.
The big players at the moment are the torrent sites, I'd like to see the government(s) try to catch and shut those down, no feckin chance.

Planets and Atmospheres: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter4
The Dome of Clement: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter2#
Minimal Cheese available at http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter
Website: http://www.philter.org

User avatar
Grand Master
Posts: 7197
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:16 pm

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

The business model has changed again. Artistes and Record companies get paid from performance royalties these days. Back in teh day record sales were huge and media stations were few and far between. These days record sales are crap, but media stations are plentyful. The way revenue is 'earned' up is just different.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 118687
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Like Smeggy said, all the money in music these days is in tours and gigs - just like back in the day. But if the music industry wants to waste money in suing these torrent sites, good luck to them. But they should know that the money they used to hire their lawyer should have been promoting and nurturing other bands under their 'care.'

If you aren't willing to stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Lex iniusta non est lex

User avatar
Grand Master
Posts: 7045
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 7:47 pm
Location: Residing somewhere in Sengenydd
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: Snarky

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Gunner 51 wrote:Like Smeggy said, all the money in music these days is in tours and gigs - just like back in the day. But if the music industry wants to waste money in suing these torrent sites, good luck to them. But they should know that the money they used to hire their lawyer should have been promoting and nurturing other bands under their 'care.'


Although touring can be profitable too, most of it comes from performance royalties if I would make an informed guestimate though. it used to be around 50:50 recording royalties and public performance royalties, but recording royalties have obviously plummeted. Every establishment that plays copyrighted music to the public, which is from your local hairdresser to the O2 arena, and all the TV and radio stations all have to pay performance royalties. the smaller place pay flat fee while the bigger outlets like the BBC and big independent stations have to log everything they broadcast and then the money is pro rate split between the copyright holders.

Songwriters who write hits for Artistes who don't write their own songs usually have to give away a % of the publishing to the artist, so the artiste can earn a bit more, and is usually done in return for the songwriter getting their song on a hit album. So when you see songwriting credits it's doesn't necessarily mean that all those listed wrote the song

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 118687
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

smeggypants wrote:
Gunner 51 wrote:Like Smeggy said, all the money in music these days is in tours and gigs - just like back in the day. But if the music industry wants to waste money in suing these torrent sites, good luck to them. But they should know that the money they used to hire their lawyer should have been promoting and nurturing other bands under their 'care.'


Although touring can be profitable too, most of it comes from performance royalties if I would make an informed guestimate though. it used to be around 50:50 recording royalties and public performance royalties, but recording royalties have obviously plummeted. Every establishment that plays copyrighted music to the public, which is from your local hairdresser to the O2 arena, and all the TV and radio stations all have to pay performance royalties. the smaller place pay flat fee while the bigger outlets like the BBC and big independent stations have to log everything they broadcast and then the money is pro rate split between the copyright holders.

Songwriters who write hits for Artistes who don't write their own songs usually have to give away a % of the publishing to the artist, so the artiste can earn a bit more, and is usually done in return for the songwriter getting their song on a hit album. So when you see songwriting credits it's doesn't necessarily mean that all those listed wrote the song


Ta for the insight, Smeggy.

If you aren't willing to stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Lex iniusta non est lex

User avatar
Grand Master
Posts: 7045
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 7:47 pm
Location: Residing somewhere in Sengenydd
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: Snarky

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Surely Limewire being a P2P network means that they can't really shut it down. Sure, they can stop offering the software, but everyone who already has it and can carry on using it and I'm sure it will still be downloadable from other sources?



User avatar
Complete Nutter!!
Posts: 19243
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:11 pm
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

look what happened to napstar

Trying is the first step towards failure...Homer Simpson
"Ahhhhhh bollox.... whats the point "... Me :D
I would like to thank the MOD for all of their support over the years ...thanks for fuck all :fingers:
do whaaaaaa ? :tizzles:

User avatar
It's all bollocks!
Posts: 47305
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:33 am
Location: Sunny, scintillating Blackpool . Riiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhtttttt
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: FUCKIN' FUCKITTY BOLLOCKS !!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

wotsit2 wrote:look what happened to napstar


Like the Greek Hydra - cut one head off and two will grow in it's place. (Limewire, Pirate Bay, BitTorrent, Torrentech etc.)

If you aren't willing to stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Lex iniusta non est lex

User avatar
Grand Master
Posts: 7045
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 7:47 pm
Location: Residing somewhere in Sengenydd
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: Snarky

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      




Fine Barman!
Posts: 10599
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:19 pm

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Resonance wrote:Surely Limewire being a P2P network means that they can't really shut it down. Sure, they can stop offering the software, but everyone who already has it and can carry on using it and I'm sure it will still be downloadable from other sources?


Depends if it uses some kind of tracker stuff I guess. Torrent sites, even though it's P2P have a tracker URL don't they? I'm no expert on this though

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 118687
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

i used 2 use limewire. was a good site for music and porn!!

previously used kazaa and bearshare.

kazaa was always full of viruses.



Really Hooked!
Posts: 334
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:52 pm

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

iain_smith wrote:i used 2 use limewire. was a good site for music and porn!!

previously used kazaa and bearshare.

kazaa was always full of viruses.


Try emule, no probs with viruses, lots of music and porn! :D

http://www.emule-project.net/home/perl/general.cgi?l=1



Fine Barman!
Posts: 10599
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:19 pm

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

smeggypants wrote:
Resonance wrote:Surely Limewire being a P2P network means that they can't really shut it down. Sure, they can stop offering the software, but everyone who already has it and can carry on using it and I'm sure it will still be downloadable from other sources?


Depends if it uses some kind of tracker stuff I guess. Torrent sites, even though it's P2P have a tracker URL don't they? I'm no expert on this though


Yes, Torrents have a tracker or sometimes multiple trackers. However there is a decentralised Bit torrent tracking system called DHT where every peer acts as a tracker. Using that system peers (with the right software) can connect to each other even if the tracker is down.



User avatar
Complete Nutter!!
Posts: 19243
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:11 pm
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Resonance wrote:
smeggypants wrote:
Resonance wrote:Surely Limewire being a P2P network means that they can't really shut it down. Sure, they can stop offering the software, but everyone who already has it and can carry on using it and I'm sure it will still be downloadable from other sources?


Depends if it uses some kind of tracker stuff I guess. Torrent sites, even though it's P2P have a tracker URL don't they? I'm no expert on this though


Yes, Torrents have a tracker or sometimes multiple trackers. However there is a decentralised Bit torrent tracking system called DHT where every peer acts as a tracker. Using that system peers (with the right software) can connect to each other even if the tracker is down.


Cool.

I get all my music form Youtube now. it's got by far the biggest selection. the enthusiasts uploading old 70s/80s/90s soul,funk,disco,electro stuff are doing music a great service for us soul,funk,disco,electro fans :)

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 118687
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Yes, Youtube is good. I also use Spotify, luckily I got in before they stopped the subscription free (advertising supported) accounts.



User avatar
Complete Nutter!!
Posts: 19243
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:11 pm
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Is Pirate Bay still working btw?

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 118687
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Next

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Cool Websites

Similar topics

  • Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
    Top of Page

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests