Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Freecycle - this is fantastic!

Got any cool links? Or even links to avoid? Let us know.

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

http://www.freecycle.org/

The quote from the site below some up what this is all about, i have already gained soem great stuff from here :thumb:

Welcome! The Freecycle Network™ is made up of 4,328 groups with 4,821,000 members across the globe. It's a grassroots and entirely nonprofit movement of people who are giving (& getting) stuff for free in their own towns. It's all about reuse and keeping good stuff out of landfills. Each local group is moderated by a local volunteer (them's good people). Membership is free. To sign up, find your community by entering it into the search box above or by clicking on “Browse Groups” above the search box. Have fun!

Quite simply you sign up for free, to your local Freecycle group. Then you will get frequent emails from people giving stuff away, or you can give stuff away. Its all about recycling and keeping goods away from landfill sites. I only found out about this a couple of days ago and already i have some Le Creuset pans, electric steamer and a pressure cooker all new. They were just sitting about taking up room, so some nice person gave them away via the site. I have seen fridges, freezers washing machines, monitors, software, dvd's etc.... all given away.

Just thought some of you might find this useful! :thumb:

or maybe i am the only one that like getting something for nothing? :oops:

Posted on

I've got a perfectly good HD CRT TV that I can't even give away, I'll give this a try. Thanks.

Smegster
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

Seems like the times have found out about this website

Online swap shop Freecycle booms as middle class feels squeeze

A website for exchanging unwanted goods is proving to be a lifeline for Middle-class households struggling to cope with the downturn in the economy are resorting to an internet swap shop to obtain goods and services for nothing.

The number of British users logging on to Freecycle, a website that allows members to exchange unwanted products, has doubled to more than 1m in the last year. Once the preserve of eco-warriors keen to promote recycling, the site is fast becoming the hunting ground of professional class families feeling the pinch.

First-time home buyers are using it to furnish new properties, mothers are scouring it for school uniforms and secondhand toys, while some users are even getting their cars fixed for free. As the cost of living continues to rise and consumers shun the high street, Freecycle is attracting more than 2,000 new members a day. It is estimated that users will have given away more than 5m items by the end of the year.

Deron Beal was inspired in 2003 to create the first Freecycle group in Tucson, Arizona, to tackle the number of white goods harbouring chemical pollution ending up in landfill.

“I set it up from a tree-hugger perspective but it’s become much broader than that,” he said. “It is becoming increasingly accepted by the middle class.

“Years ago, reusing things and buying old clothes would have been frowned upon, but today we have closets packed with junk. In a time of economic downturn people are realising that they don’t have to buy new things all the time.”

Freecycle users can sign up to one of 480 local mailing lists. They receive daily messages from fellow members, either offering goods and services or making requests. Members must offer an item when they first join and they are prohibited from giving away drugs, firearms or adult material. A guide on etiquette urges members of the “community” to be “nice” to donors.

The website has been embraced in Britain as rising food and fuel prices have taken their toll on household budgets. The average family with two children is now at least 15% worse off than five years ago, according to research by Ernst & Young, the accountants. While average household incomes have risen by £507 a month to £2,859, essential outgoings – including the cost of running a car, mortgage repayments, energy bills and public transport – have gone up by £644 a month to £2,086.

Sian Hagan, 41, from Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire, said: “When household bills, food prices and petrol are going up so much, Freecycle just makes sense. I picked up a bicycle for free, which I now use instead of the car for short journeys to save on petrol.” Hagan, a mother of two, began using the site 18 months ago when she was looking for a replacement dishwasher. Despite initial scepticism, she soon picked one up from a local family who were having a new kitchen fitted.

Since then she has acquired an Ikea sofa bed, a widescreen television, a spare Brownie uniform for her 10-year-old daughter and a school uniform for her son. In return, Hagan has given away a John Lewis maternity dress and her children’s clothes and toys as they have grown older. “For a normal family like us it’s made a really big difference,” she said. “When I first started doing it I wasn’t sure whether I’d have to get involved in the whole eco thing, but it couldn’t be simpler.”

The site can be invaluable for first-time buyers. When Ellie Callanmonk, 23, and her boyfriend Guy Thouret, 24, bought a two-bedroom flat in Stockport, Cheshire, last year, they furnished most of their home using Freecycle. Callanmonk, a public relations manager, said: “We posted a list of things we needed and the response we got was amazing.”

Within a month the couple were given a sofa, an armchair, a dining table with six chairs, a dishwasher, a sideboard, shelves and accessories for the kitchen.

Posted on

Been using Freecycle for a few years now. Never got anything from it (I have enough rubbish as it is) but managed to get rid of a load of crap.

It's amazing the things you see being given away. Tellys, fridges and even cars.

MartinJ - On a campaign to abolish the rules made of stone.
I know I can't spell for Tofee - I don't need to be reminded!

Really Hooked!
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl

Posted on

Have been a member for ages but never used it. Just checked up and had over 2000 emails from them in the last month. You could furnish a whole house for free if you wanted to.

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Posted on

the le crueset pans sound a good catch Furby!

One of my friends love freecycle - its kind of her hobby.

She does get some great stuff - but unfortuantley I dont have anything decent to offer.

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

MILF

Posted on

I know a few people who swear by freecycle.

it's an excellent idea and helps combat the waste produced by infinitely expanding consumerism. I signed up after being sold on the idea and get a million emails a week. :) fascinating to see what people offer and collect.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

Whirliegig wrote:the le crueset pans sound a good catch Furby!

One of my friends love freecycle - its kind of her hobby.

She does get some great stuff - but unfortuantley I dont have anything decent to offer.

True, I don't suppose the old Mac qualifies. :rofl: :rofl:

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Return to Cool Websites