Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Swedish internet traffic falls by 33% due to new law

Terrestrial [Analogue and Freeview] TV, SKY, Cable, ISPs and any other method of supplying your media!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Swedish internet traffic falls by 33% as anti-file sharing law comes into effect

Based on article from news.bbc.co.uk

F.U.N.E.X.?
'Ellooooo!! 'ow u dooooooooooooin? Internet traffic in Sweden fell by 33% as the country's new anti-piracy law came into effect, reports suggest.

According to figures released by the government statistics agency - Statistics Sweden - 8% of the entire population use peer-to-peer sharing. Popular BitTorrent sharing site, The Pirate Bay, is also based in Sweden.

The new law, which is based on the European Union's Intellectual Property Rights Enforcement Directive (IPRED), allows copyright holders to obtain a court order forcing ISPs to provide the IP addresses identifying which computers have been sharing copyrighted material.

Figures from Netnod, a Swedish firm that measures internet traffic in and out of the country, suggest traffic fell from an average of 120Gbps to 80Gbps on the day the new law came into effect.

Speaking to the BBC, Christian Engstrom, vice-chairman of the Swedish Pirate Party - said the drop in traffic was a direct result of the new law, but that it would only be a temporary fall: Today, there is a very drastic reduction in internet traffic. But experience from other countries suggests that while file-sharing drops on the day a law is passed, it starts climbing again. One of the reasons is that it takes people a few weeks to figure out how to change their security settings so that they can share files anonymously.

Engstrom acknowledged that the new legislation would scare a number off file-sharing, and that the odds of getting caught had increased, but said that the risks to illegal file-sharers were still quite low.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

So has anyone diminished the amount of torrent downloading?

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

I know that one or two of the main uploaders on the pirate bay are now 'anonymous'.
They still have a 'trusted' skull and crossbones next to their anonymous name though.

Not gonna stop me.
I use Peer Guardian 2 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peer_guardian_2. Not sure exactly if it works but a paper helmet is better than no helmet. It keeps the rain off at least. :)

Sit on my Facebook!

Posted on

I don't use torrents that often to be honest. I don't watch films and I buy any games for the Xbox ( Great value really ) - Most torrent use here is downloading stuff off TV that I missed. I delete it after watching it unless it's a classic.

Won't affect me really.

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

I don't use torrents either, never have... not for ethical reasons, mostly due to virus risks.

"TONGUE-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, I"

Haunting Beauty
Current Mood: Spine chillingly spooky

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Media Providers and ISPs