Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

UK ISPs retain website and email logs from today

Terrestrial [Analogue and Freeview] TV, SKY, Cable, ISPs and any other method of supplying your media!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

UK ISPs retain website and email logs from today

6th April is Big Brother Day!!

Based on article from telegraph.co.uk

Details of every email sent and website visited by people in Britain are to be stored for use by the state from today as part of what campaigners say is a massive assault on privacy.

A European Union directive, which Britain was instrumental in devising, comes into force which will require all internet service providers to retain information on email traffic, visits to web sites and telephone calls made over the internet, for 12 months.

Hundreds of public bodies and quangos, including local councils, will also be able to access the data to investigate flytipping and other less serious crimes.

It was previously thought that only the large companies would be required to take part, covering 95% of Britain's internet usage, but a Home Office spokesman has confirmed it will be applied across the board to even the smallest company.

Phil Noble of privacy group NO2ID, said: "This is the kind of technology that the Stasi would have dreamed of. We are facing a co-ordinated strategy to track everyone's communications, creating a dossier on every person's relationships and transactions. It is clearly preparatory work for the as-yet un-revealed plans for intercept modernisation."

Another EU directive which requires companies to hold details of telephone records for a year has already come into force, and although internet data is held on an ad hoc basis this is the first time the industry has faced a statutory requirement to archive the material.

----------------------------------------------------------

I bet Jacqui Smith is quivering with orgasm excitement!! :roll:

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

well from my ISP they gunna get soon fed up with smeggys.co.uk

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Resident Alcoholic
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Giblet Botherer

Posted on

Lord Gumble wrote:well from my ISP they gunna get soon fed up with smeggys.co.uk

Shit they'll bust a few doors down after what we've been calling em. :rofl:

Sit on my Facebook!

Posted on

Well if other companies are anything like the one I work in then everything goes through a Proxy, and there are tonnes of PC's on the internal network that are accessible to the majority of the workforce, without any sort of individual log in, which would make it pretty difficult to nail any sort of browsing history down to a single individual.

"TONGUE-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, I"

Haunting Beauty
Current Mood: Spine chillingly spooky

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Media Providers and ISPs