Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Can't recommend AOL

Terrestrial [Analogue and Freeview] TV, SKY, Cable, ISPs and any other method of supplying your media!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Lots of negative feedback since AOL UK was sold to Carphone Warehouse and subscribers were transferred over to the CW network over the past few weeks. I can vouch for that, it really is awful at the moment. Reliability has gone down the tubes. System completely down... intermittent disconnections... unable to connect to certain sites...

I meant to leave AOL last year after 9 loyal years (as the BB market has become much more competitive since I subscribed in the late 90s), but they bribed me to stay on @ £9.99/month for life, on the 2Mbps package. This would be great if it continued to be a reliable service. I have another year of my minimum 18-mth contract to run, if they don't improve by then it will be sayonara :mad1:

/rant :o

Super Smegster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia

Posted on

AOL really ripped us off big style. When we moved house and got a new phone number they seemed to 'forget' we were on a fixed price tariff and started charging us by the minute :eek:

It racked up a bill of £700+ and all we managed to get back from them was £150 with a 'let us show you the door' deal.

Baaaaad company :spank: :spank:

Posted on

whimsical oracle wrote:Reliability has gone down the tubes.

Was AOHELL's reliability ever up the tubes to begin with?! :D

Seriously, I had nothing but problems with this company. Admittedly it was about three years ago and it was dial-up, but still. Things weren't too bad at first but then there were very frequent disconnects and also trying to sign-in could sometimes take many, many, many attempts. Seventy-six was the 'best' of such occasions. :x

Towards the end of my run with them I was reinstalling the software on a weekly basis. Their 'technical support' line was neither technical nor supportive. I could just tell they were reading off a script and if my problem deviated at all from that script then that was it, they didn't know what to do. A typical conversation would go thus:

Me: 'I've tried to connect about twenty times now but it just keeps failing on step three.'
AOL: 'Can you try now whilst you are on the phone?'
Me: 'No, it's dial-up...'
AOL: 'ah. Have you another line you could use?'
Me: 'Errrrm, no...'
AOL: 'Okay, we will investigate for you and will have the problem fixed within twenty-four hours.'
Me: 'But you said that yesterday. And the day before...'
AOL: 'We will make resolving this issue our top priority!'

The next day I'd be ringing back. :x

The software was nothing short of crippling. There were usually about ten processes running and when I finally got rid of AOL for Virgin cable broadband (or Telewest, as it was back then) the uninstall procedure left four running processes, one of which I could only remove using HijackThis! Unbelievable. :x

I wouldn't recommend them to anyone, not even if my life depended on it. Awful, awful firm. They sound even worse now that the Carphone Warehouse has got hold of them. I bet they don't even sell car phones. :x I hope you can get your issues resolved swiftly though, Whimsical Oracle! :)

Misanthropic Trucker
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl

Posted on

whimsical oracle wrote:Lots of negative feedback since AOL UK was sold to Carphone Warehouse and subscribers were transferred over to the CW network over the past few weeks. I can vouch for that, it really is awful at the moment. Reliability has gone down the tubes. System completely down... intermittent disconnections... unable to connect to certain sites...

I meant to leave AOL last year after 9 loyal years (as the BB market has become much more competitive since I subscribed in the late 90s), but they bribed me to stay on @ £9.99/month for life, on the 2Mbps package. This would be great if it continued to be a reliable service. I have another year of my minimum 18-mth contract to run, if they don't improve by then it will be sayonara :mad1:

/rant :o

Crikey! You deserve a knighthood. Either that or sectioning ----> :rofl:

I tried AO-Hell in the 1990s during the early days and quickly learnt their propriety bloatware was rubbish.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

No Chance wrote:[

The software was nothing short of crippling.

Yup, the TWO pieces of software you should NEVER touch with anyone elses bargepole are AOL and NORTON ANTIVIRUS ( now symantec ) NAV is an actual virus ( which kinda defeats te object ). It hooks into every file operation on your system even with all the checkboxes disabled. Nasty piece of bloatware.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:Yup, the TWO pieces of software you should NEVER touch with anyone elses bargepole are AOL and NORTON ANTIVIRUS ( now symantec ) NAV is an actual virus ( which kinda defeats te object ). It hooks into every file operation on your system even with all the checkboxes disabled. Nasty piece of bloatware.

I totally, wholeheartedly agree. Norton (and McAfee, in my opinion) are vile, evil pieces of bloatware. :x The first thing I do when I (or the first thing I advise to/do for friends) get a new PC/laptop is to uninstall the standard Norton/McAfee abominations.

I find it slows things down to a crawl and doesn't do what it's supposed to. I am always the one my friends call when they have a computer niggle/need an upgrade of some sort and I often sort their malware problems out and I've helped a couple of mates get shut of Norton now. They'll run a scan and it will give the all clear, even though there are obvious problems. I uninstall Norton (which is a lot more difficult than it sounds!) and install something better and BANG- watch those infections show up!

I must admit, I used it for a short while when I first got into computers a few years ago and didn't have a clue what I was doing, but I soon learnt and got rid of Norton and just like every time I've done this for friends, I had to go round manually removing folders it had left behind. :x In fact, both Norton and AOHELL have special uninstall applications made especially for them; they're that bad!

I personally now use NOD32 Anti-virus and the Vista firewall, along with the hardware firewall built-in to the router. Anything's better than Norton and I agree, it IS a virus itself as far as I'm concerned. A vile, nasty piece of scumware. :evil: AOHELL was absurd; to actually have to use HijackThis to fully get rid of it?! :eek4: Disgusting! :x

*rant over* :o

Misanthropic Trucker

Posted on

I'm on AOL, have been for the last 5 years and to be honest, I actually haven't had a single problem with my connection.
I'm about to piss them off though as Virgin media have just offered me a really good deal on a 20 meg connection (around the £20 a month) where as with AOL on paying £27 a month for an 8 meg connection (which is actually closer to 4.5)

Really Loves the Place!

Posted on

never used AOL as a provider, although I use their web mail. (but its slow!)

And I left Virgin after years of loyal custom...so I can't recommend them either Zeus...(sorry! :oops: )

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

MILF

Posted on

Dang! :confused:

I'm doomed! :eek4:

Really Loves the Place!

Posted on

Bloody AOL are at it again. I've had three dropped connections in the past hour :mad1:

Super Smegster

Posted on

AOL really is a pile of shite.

"Come on you bastard, fly!" - Rod Hull

Loves The place!
Current Mood: unknown

Posted on

Ben wrote:AOL really is a pile of shite.

If there was honesty in advertising then this is what would appear at the end of their ads.

Smegster
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:I tried AO-Hell in the 1990s during the early days and quickly learnt their propriety bloatware was rubbish.

I also tried them in the 90s. I seem to remember that it was possible to use an ordinary browser with the service, but I often had problems.

They kept charging me fore months after I'd cancelled the service. I wrote and rang many times before they gave me a refund.

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

Nutter!!
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Posted on

I read in the papers today that Craphone Warehouse are expected to take over Tiscali next. Dear God.

Super Smegster

Posted on

Try this for size with AOL Broadband: I signed up last week for broadband. Firstly the modem arrived late and the clots didn't tell me that I needed an adapter, which cost me #40, to fit the ethernet cable to the PC. Then when I spent four hours sorting out their " easy" installation pack, the frigging modem wouldn't connect. I rang them four times getting coflicting advice until the last operator advised me that my phone line upstairs wasn't compatible and to try and test the PC downstairs, the clot not realising that I have a large desktop and this would be very difficult. Finally he suggested that I contacted BT to have a line test and then run the PC from a ten metre cable upstairs to the wireless router downstairs!
By this time I became livid at the " advice" I'd received and told the man on the other end that I wanted his manager and demanded they cancel my account. However, the manager, who seemed annoyed at what his technicians had told me, offered me narrowband back for half price and I wearily accepted as I use the internet a lot.
Next time, though, when I get a new PC, AOL can kiss my ass as BT seemingly offer a better service.

Really Loves the Place!

Return to Media Providers and ISPs