Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

More ad breaks to be allowed on TV

Terrestrial [Analogue and Freeview] TV, SKY, Cable, ISPs and any other method of supplying your media!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

wotsit2 wrote:i'll see if i can find out when for you gunns :thumb:
best i can do :)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6972220.stm

let the lazy sod find out for himself :rofl:

it's ok-i know gunner51 :pp:

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Grumpy Old Cow
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: BANNED!

Posted on

There are already far too many ad's. I find it very difficult to follow programmes. I went out during the ad' break to fix some raspberries and cream to find the programme had restarted and just going into another ad' break, there are that many (CSI repeat on Fiver?). :spike: Lost is unwatchable there are so many ad's. Fortunately my mother tapes it for me mostly without the ad's :D

Fine Barman!

Posted on

I just wait for the files where someone's already taken the adverts out. :D

There are many things that I could do today. I could in fact help any one of you, but I won't. :)

Hooked
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: Chilling Out

Posted on

Belgarath wrote:I just wait for the files where someone's already taken the adverts out. :D

definitely the best way.

Although playing back these files is not something I'm properly geared up for. My computer screen's don't show display TV shows properly. The picture is too dark. And I onyl really watch TV propoerly while I'm in bed ( insomnia times ), otherwise it's on in the back ground.

Sky HD+ is pretty cool though, cos at last you can record the program and skip through the ads at 32x speed

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

The only thing I watch live on TV is News and Sport, everything else is recorded and watched later.

Posted on

Is there a way of transferring downloaded files ( From the Box for example ) to a SKY HD recorder?

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:Is there a way of transferring downloaded files ( From the Box for example ) to a SKY HD recorder?

I think you could probably be really sneaky and watch the BBC's i-player or something. Then pop into your Temporary Internet Files, pick out any large video files and save them elsewhere. (I use this to fool the RIAA sometimes.)

Oh hang on, I misinterpreted your post there Smeggy. :doh:
I don't think there is a way you can do that, but someone on DS might know.

If you aren't willing to stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Lex iniusta non est lex

Grand Master
Current Mood: Snarky

Posted on

I wonder if there's a PC video card with HDMI output? that would work using a cheap PC to connect to the telly

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:I wonder if there's a PC video card with HDMI output? that would work using a cheap PC to connect to the telly

Most video cards nowadays have a DVI socket on the back and will more than likely come with a DVI-to-HDMI dongle to attach to it. I have one for my old Nvidia 6600 card.

Me? I just hook the card to the PC input on the back of my 32" LCD tv and get perfect quality from even the standard 350MB torrents out there for TV shows. :) :)

There are many things that I could do today. I could in fact help any one of you, but I won't. :)

Hooked

Posted on

hmmm? Sounds cool. I'm not keen on having a PC whirring away while I'm asleep/half alseep in the bedroom though.

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:hmmm? Sounds cool. I'm not keen on having a PC whirring away while I'm asleep/half alseep in the bedroom though.

A lot of graphics cards now don't use fans to cool them, and you can get silent running fans for cooling the PC, etc.

Plus, if you put the PC somewhere we're you can soundproof the area around it, but leave enough air flow to keep it cool, you won't notice any sound that does 'escape' after a while. I certainly don't with mine that's set up in the living room as a media centre. :D

Hooked

Posted on

My Dell Vostro 410 is very quiet and as I keep it behind a sofa is totally inaudible - except when the dvd drive is spinning up. It has a DVI output 'coz I chose a better card than standard. You need a fairly good pc and graphics card to play HD video.

You can get auto shutdown programs, e.g. -

http://www.konradp.com/products/auto_shutdown/

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

Nutter!!
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Previous

Return to Media Providers and ISPs