Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Internet overload predicted

Terrestrial [Analogue and Freeview] TV, SKY, Cable, ISPs and any other method of supplying your media!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

I was listening to an item on radio earlier saying that the increased use of the BBC iplayer and the like was increasing traffic hugely. A spokesman from Plusnet said that there had been a 2/3 increase in data transfer over the last three months!

I'm actually with Plusnet and have just upgraded to their 20GB per month (with unlimited overnight) package.

No longer will I need to start up my podcast client after midnight. Internet radio is on the cards. I can watch stuff on BBC iplayer without it costing me extra.

I'll be slowing everything down for everyone else though. :):

How much bandwidth do you need per month?

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Posted on

Hardly any, I browse forums mainly in the early parts of the day and then have to deal with a load of family stuff for the rest of it, so I don't get much time. I watch two YOU TUBE videos per day. :o I like to think I am saving some room for others.

Super Smegsterwegsta
How Hot Are You?: Siberia

Posted on

diablo wrote:How much bandwidth do you need per month?

I couldn't put an exact figure on it, but it's quite a lot, I would think. I do watch a good few YouTube videos and I watch the BBCi Player quite a bit too. It's playing now, in fact. I do some downloading as well :o and occasionally send large files to friends through MSN.

I tend to do most of my downloading overnight to minimize slowdown but I do some during the day too. I dread to think how much bandwidth I get through in a month. :o

Misanthropic Trucker

Posted on

I use 40gb-50gb a month, in Jan I got through near 90gb and my ISP wasn't amused and put me on a slower line until I threatened to go elsewhere.

Smegster
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

I'm on a Lite User package from my ISP - and for the first time ever have had a letter warning me I'm over my bandwidth limit.

Its all the YouTube videos on here - I'm sure of it!

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

MILF

Posted on

How can you tell how much you use? IS there something you can use, a tool?

Super Smegsterwegsta

Posted on

I think if I log into my ISP account page, you can monitor usage. But I don't.

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

MILF

Posted on

Can't do that on mine, by the looks. :o

Super Smegsterwegsta

Posted on

I thought the ISP's and Telecom companies were supposed to be laying a second internet structure to cope with the extra traffic based on the ADSL2 Protocol.

Cymru Ar gyfer Rhyddid

http://www.main.ffafansite.co.uk/

Super Smegster
How Hot Are You?: Scorchio!
Current Mood: Memory & Humanity is finally here

Posted on

Isn't part of the problem that the UK has an antiquated telephony infrastructure (copper wire etc), that needs radical overhaul to bring it up to 21st century internet age standards?

Compare to other countries, eg. in the Far East such as Korea, where they have the advantage of a modern fibreoptic cable infrastructure offering high-speed, high capacity bandwidth?

Super Smegster

Posted on

Welsh_Guy wrote:I thought the ISP's and Telecom companies were supposed to be laying a second internet structure to cope with the extra traffic based on the ADSL2 Protocol.

ADSL2+ is faster, but the providers all have "fair use" limitations on their supposedly "unlimited" services. So the overall number of bits sent need not increase - just the ones that do get sent go faster.

I could have opted for 'Be' internet and probably got faster speeds cheaper than Plusnet, but I took the view that they may well get oversubscibed by people wanting unlimited downloads since they've reduced their prices.

Plusnet are probably going to be more reliable for the next twelve months I reckon - though I may be wrong.

I don't think the ISPs are ugrading the main pipelines fast enough to meet projected demand though. :):

Nutter!!

Posted on

whimsical oracle wrote:Isn't part of the problem that the UK has an antiquated telephony infrastructure (copper wire etc), that needs radical overhaul to bring it up to 21st century internet age standards?

Compare to other countries, eg. in the Far East such as Korea, where they have the advantage of a modern fibreoptic cable infrastructure offering high-speed, high capacity bandwidth?

I know a guy in Japan whose ADSL speed is insane. We're well behind here.

Mind you it's only 6 years since I was on Dialup! Fuck that was HORRIBLE!!!!! Speeds between 2 and 4Kbs - ARRRGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:Mind you it's only 6 years since I was on Dialup! Fuck that was HORRIBLE!!!!! Speeds between 2 and 4Kbs - ARRRGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I've only been on broadband for two years; I had the misfortune of being with AOL dial-up before that. You're right, it is horrible. It was absolutely ghastly. That's just the dial-up element; AOL themselves were even worse! When I downloaded WLM when it first came out, it took about an hour to complete. :x Everything took an absolute age to download, so much so that it bordered on being painful. :x

Misanthropic Trucker

Posted on

I just did a Speedtest and my results are:

Down 2.6
Up 0.4

It drives me insane.

And I got another email this month from my ISP telling me I'm over my bandwidth and need to upgrade.

MILF

Posted on

Whirliegig wrote:And I got another email this month from my ISP telling me I'm over my bandwidth and need to upgrade.

Oh dear. :( I hate capped broadband packages. :x I'm with Virgin Media cable, Whirlie and I rarely have problems with them; I can recommend them if you fancy a change. I almost always get the 2Mb download speed that I pay for. Sometimes though, during upgrades and so on, or perhaps when it's really busy, it can get very, very slow. :x I just did a speedtest with Speedtest.net...

I know they're not wholly reliable, but they give a pretty good idea of how fast things are going. I had about a week of dial-up speeds about a year ago and that was just horrendous. Things have improved since though.

Misanthropic Trucker

Posted on

Whirliegig wrote:I just did a Speedtest and my results are:

Down 2.6
Up 0.4

It drives me insane.

And I got another email this month from my ISP telling me I'm over my bandwidth and need to upgrade.

Those speeds seem to be about average according to the speedtest site. I get 3meg down 378k up since I tuned my 'rwin' setting. When I get my wireless router I'm going to change my wiring as well, which may speed it up further - though it's fine for all practical purposes as it is.

I've heard some good reports about Sky internet recently.

Nutter!!

Posted on

really? Thats average? It seems so slow! Anyone who ever uses my computer tells me its terribly slow.

MILF

Posted on

Whirliegig wrote:really? Thats average? It seems so slow! Anyone who ever uses my computer tells me its terribly slow.

Does it keep halting when viewing You Tube and other stuff which needs to download in real time?

Nutter!!

Posted on

Yes it does that I think ( but then its normal to me so idont know what it should be like so dont know if mine is different). what does that mean?

MILF

Posted on

Probably means that either your ISPs main pipeline is overloaded at times - or that the exchange is.

There's a way of checking if the exchange is having problems, I'll see if I can find a link. :):

edit: this is the Plusnet link for checking the exchange - don't know if it will work for you though.

Nutter!!

Next

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Media Providers and ISPs