Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Upgraded to Sky+ HD 2TB box

Terrestrial [Analogue and Freeview] TV, SKY, Cable, ISPs and any other method of supplying your media!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Dunno what size the Hard drive is on our skybox is. but if you're into recording a lot of stuff, which si great for skippign the brain rot adeverts, then a big HDD is worth IMO

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

I thought the 2TB boxes were only £49 if you're an existing customer.

paint your wagons and burn your banker, coz the twisted circus is coming to town and there ain't no safety net under the high wire.

- Larry Love.

Smegster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: Puckish

Posted on

Not got the 2TB box, but upgrade to the 1TB box a while ago. Well worth it imo. We kept running out of space all the time before upgrading. Now we hardly ever get above 50% usage. Also as you say the latest boxes have the latest software, so you get on demand etc.

Make sure you register for on demand with Sky and connect your box up to your router. If your box is miles away from your router you can get a wireless adaptor for your box from Sky at a cost of £21.

Complete Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

Swing wrote:I thought the 2TB boxes were only £49 if you're an existing customer.

It is and I've just looked, it's £159 for new customers.

Sit on my Facebook!

Posted on

Stanley Tweedle wrote:
Swing wrote:I thought the 2TB boxes were only £49 if you're an existing customer.

If I log into my account they quote me £149 for a 2TB box. Maybe it depends on what subsidised boxes you've had in the past, or if you're upgrading from sd to hd or not?

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

Resonance wrote:
Stanley Tweedle wrote:

If I log into my account they quote me £149 for a 2TB box. Maybe it depends on what subsidised boxes you've had in the past, or if you're upgrading from sd to hd or not?

If you currently have a Sky+ or Sky+ HD box then it's cheaper.
They like to punish long serving customers it seems. :shrug:

When I signed up to Sky the standard box was a Sky+ HD and thats enough for now. :D

Sit on my Facebook!

Posted on

They do have some weird pricing structures. It's all very complicated :confused:

Do you have the HD pack Stan? Maybe the £49 for the 2TB box is if you upgrade to the HD pack at the same time?? With me already having it that's maybe why they want to charge me more??

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

Resonance wrote:They do have some weird pricing structures. It's all very complicated :confused:

Do you have the HD pack Stan? Maybe the £49 for the 2TB box is if you upgrade to the HD pack at the same time?? With me already having it that's maybe why they want to charge me more??

I don't have the HD pack Res, don't even have an HDTV :rofl:

I saw it said that if you are a new customer you can get the 2TB box for £49 if you buy the HD pack also, priced at a tenner a month I think. That would be the better option I think because you're really paying off the cost of the box plus £20 more, but then you are getting all the HD channels also.

I bet there's room to haggle with them. :)

Sit on my Facebook!

Posted on

Scott Nelson wrote:
Resonance wrote:
Stanley Tweedle wrote:

It's £49 for existing customers to upgrade to the 1TB box and £149 for the 2TB box. I've opted to install the new box myself otherwise it would have been an additonal £60!

I'd imagine the installation consists of screwing in the 2 wires that connect to the dish.
Doesn't seem worth £60 does it? :shrug:

Sit on my Facebook!

Posted on

Scott Nelson wrote:I refuse to pay an engineer £60 just to connect a few wires to the back of my box!

:savile: :sarah:

I did the same when we upgraded our box. As you say not worth the cost of installation, plus its more convenient not having to wait in for an engineer.

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

What is the capacity difference (from a recording programmes pov) between standard Sky +, 1TB and 2TB?

Not sure if its worth it! I've got the standard Sky+

Loves The place!
Current Mood: Tetchy!

Posted on

Docteur_Qui wrote:What is the capacity difference (from a recording programmes pov) between standard Sky +, 1TB and 2TB?

Not sure if its worth it! I've got the standard Sky+

http://www.sky.com/products/kit/sky-plus-box/

Normal sky+ box is 185 hours of space. With the HD you can record 65 hours of HD.

http://www.sky.com/products/kit/sky-plus-hd-2tb-box/

The 2TB one is 350 hours of HD or 1180 hours of normal. 1.5TB storage and 500GB for on demand tv.

Personally I like to keep the amount of recorded tv down to a minimum. It would be good to record a whole series, or a few, and then watch them when the series is over. No waiting for the next episode then.

Sit on my Facebook!

Posted on

Cheers Stan :thumb:

Loves The place!
Current Mood: Tetchy!

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Media Providers and ISPs