Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Shit picture on Sky non-HD channels

Terrestrial [Analogue and Freeview] TV, SKY, Cable, ISPs and any other method of supplying your media!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

It's my opinion Sky have purposely degraded the picture quality on their SD channels to encourage people to take out their HD subscription.

I don't think there is any bandwidth shortage if they wanted to use it. After all there were 24 HD and 24 SD Olympic channels on the satellites at 28 degrees east which are obviously no longer there. From memory Sky allowed the BBC space on their transponders to put these channels on.

Complete Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

Agreed guys. Sky want us all to buy the HD box though, shit picture quality might get a few peeps to do that :hmmm:

And those channels Scott referred to? Absolutely pointless, all of em :evil:

Planets and Atmospheres: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter4
The Dome of Clement: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter2#
Minimal Cheese available at http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter

Grand Master

Posted on

a lot of programmes made in SD will look shit on an SD channel because they've been "stretched" to fit the screen . if you look at the sci fi channel when star trek tng is on you will see that , although being remastered in HD it appears "fuzzy" , however on sci fi HD the picture is in the 4:3 format and looks bloody great :)

Trying is the first step towards failure...Homer Simpson
"Ahhhhhh bollox.... whats the point "... Me :D
I would like to thank the MOD for all of their support over the years ...thanks for fuck all :fingers:
do whaaaaaa ? :tizzles:

It's all bollocks!
Location: Sunny, scintillating Blackpool . Riiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhtttttt
Current Mood: FUCKIN' FUCKITTY BOLLOCKS !!!

Posted on

it's the same with those channels on virgin media scott

I would like to thank the MOD for all of their support over the years ...thanks for fuck all :fingers:

It's all bollocks!

Posted on

I've only got Freeview and the channels like Pick TV are pretty poor on that. Must be low bandwidth because some SD channels scale up very well on my 1080p TV.

Freeview is very short of bandwidth so you kind of expect that some channels will be poor, but Sky and Virgin have the room to be better I think - probably just that the broadcasters will only pay for narrow bandwidth I reckon.

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Posted on

diablo wrote:I've only got Freeview and the channels like Pick TV are pretty poor on that. Must be low bandwidth because some SD channels scale up very well on my 1080p TV.

Freeview is very short of bandwidth so you kind of expect that some channels will be poor, but Sky and Virgin have the room to be better I think - probably just that the broadcasters will only pay for narrow bandwidth I reckon.

Aww dabs I would have thought you'd had the whole 9 yards! :confused:

:maddy: Image

Forum Slapper Lush
How Hot Are You?: Centre Of The Sun
Current Mood: Eff it.

Posted on

Scott Nelson wrote:Some of the SD channels with a poor SD picture quality include Sky 2, BBC News, BBC Parliament, EuroNews, Military History, Pick TV and Challenge.

To be fair to Sky with the exception of Sky2, Pick and Challenge the other channels decide how much bandwidth they are willing to pay for and then just pay Sky for the EPG listing and encryption (if they use it).

Another really bad channel for pic quality on satellite I find is Channel 5.

Of course some of the problem is that we are all watching on bigger and bigger TV's. This really shows up the channels that don't pay for much bandwidth. On a small TV they look fine, but on anything bigger they can look awful.

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

diablo wrote:I've only got Freeview and the channels like Pick TV are pretty poor on that. Must be low bandwidth because some SD channels scale up very well on my 1080p TV.

Agree on the Freeview picture quality Diabs. On some of the channels it almost looks like a crap quality Youtube vid. Well maybe a slight exaggeration, but you know what I mean :)

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

Channel 5 looks pretty good on Freeview I find. Though I don't watch it very much.

Some SD channels actually look fairly okay on my 100" projector screen astonishingly. Though the only time I usually use it is for BBC4 music broadcasts so I can use the better sound system which goes with it.

Dolls wrote:Aww dabs I would have thought you'd had the whole 9 yards! :confused:

Well I keep thinking about getting Sky or Virgin but maybe the moffs talk me out of it. All I'd want really is for cricket and F1 in HD but . . . . I'll probably get something sometime though.

Nutter!!

Posted on

diablo wrote:Channel 5 looks pretty good on Freeview I find. Though I don't watch it very much.

Some SD channels actually look fairly okay on my 100" projector screen astonishingly. Though the only time I usually use it is for BBC4 music broadcasts so I can use the better sound system which goes with it.

Dolls wrote:Aww dabs I would have thought you'd had the whole 9 yards! :confused:

Well I keep thinking about getting Sky or Virgin but maybe the moffs talk me out of it. All I'd want really is for cricket and F1 in HD but . . . . I'll probably get something sometime though.

You want to keep an eye on the satellite (Sky) forums on DS (sorry for swearing). Sometimes Sky employees have offer codes they can give out to 'friends and family' that give you 50% off Sky for a year, free HD box, free install etc.

When Sky give their employees these codes they nearly always seem to offer them on DS. I'm guessing they get some kind of commission, so want to get rid of them all.

I look in the satellite forums a lot on there, so next time I see anything I'll drop you a PM and let you know. They seem to appear every 6 months or so.

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

Resonance wrote:When Sky give their employees these codes they nearly always seem to offer them on DS. I'm guessing they get some kind of commission, so want to get rid of them all.

I look in the satellite forums a lot on there, so next time I see anything I'll drop you a PM and let you know. They seem to appear every 6 months or so.

Cheers Res, much appreciated. :yippee:

I don't look in that forum at all usually.

Nutter!!

Posted on

I dont even own a HD TV :D so the SD channels look dappa!!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Resident Alcoholic
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Giblet Botherer

Posted on

Scott Nelson wrote:I think it's disgraceful that UK broadcasters are using low bandwidth whereas out European counterparts often broadcast in top notch quality. German channels are particularly good.

Knowing the lack prudery by the Germans, I bet they show a lot more tits, bums, cunts and cocks :)

But yup I agree, the non HD SKY channels do look dodgy nowadays. I think it might be a relative things though. Once you've got used to HD anything inferior is bound to look shit in comparison. don't forget non HD wasn't designed for such huge flat screens we have today

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

Scott Nelson wrote:I think it's disgraceful that UK broadcasters are using low bandwidth

Isn't this thread about Sky ?

The best facial is a daily facial.

Insane Poster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: unknown

Posted on

Lord Gumble wrote:I dont even own a HD TV :D so the SD channels look dappa!!

Same here. I don't even own a widescreen tv, it's square. :rofl:

Only one tv in the house now too, the one in the living room decided to kill itself. :shrug:

Surprised no ones mentioned the crap quality of the babestation channels. Though with some of those you are glad for the lack of pixels. :D

Sit on my Facebook!

Posted on

have you got your TV's settings set right scott ?

It's all bollocks!

Next

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Media Providers and ISPs