Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

BSkyB files complaint against BT Sport

Terrestrial [Analogue and Freeview] TV, SKY, Cable, ISPs and any other method of supplying your media!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Resonance wrote:
wotsit2 wrote:also cactus hogs recording sessions that cause the box to switch to another channel that i didn't want when it's recording on all three drives .

That can't really be helped though. It's even worse with Sky boxes, you can only record two things at once on them.

it can though res, she needs to stop recording shite :rofl:

Trying is the first step towards failure...Homer Simpson
"Ahhhhhh bollox.... whats the point "... Me :D
I would like to thank the MOD for all of their support over the years ...thanks for fuck all :fingers:
do whaaaaaa ? :tizzles:

It's all bollocks!
Location: Sunny, scintillating Blackpool . Riiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhtttttt
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: FUCKIN' FUCKITTY BOLLOCKS !!!

Posted on

Resonance wrote:I've never had a go with a TIVO box, so can't comment really. Like you there's no cable round here.

Virgin should really increase the size of their footprint. I think they currently only cover 50% or so of the population.

They did the initial install with subsidies from Maggie if I remember right. Doubt if they'll do any more cable installs anytime soon. Fibre from the exchange works just about as well and will improve.

Have you spotted nay of those bargain Sky install deals recently Res ? :):

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Posted on

diablo wrote:
Resonance wrote:I've never had a go with a TIVO box, so can't comment really. Like you there's no cable round here.

Virgin should really increase the size of their footprint. I think they currently only cover 50% or so of the population.

They did the initial install with subsidies from Maggie if I remember right. Doubt if they'll do any more cable installs anytime soon. Fibre from the exchange works just about as well and will improve.

Just had a quick look and couple of people posted 3 days ago. Post #155 #156. From memory you need to PM your name and email and they'll email you the offer code.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthre ... 930&page=7

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

Resonance wrote:
diablo wrote:

Just had a quick look and couple of people posted 3 days ago. Post #155 #156. From memory you need to PM your name and email and they'll email you the offer code.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthre ... 930&page=7

Just emailed one person. Maybe they have one left.

I really ought to look in that forum for myself !

Ta :)

Nutter!!

Posted on

Hope it works out. Hopefully you can get set up ready for The Ashes :thumb: or even some of the remaining New Zealand series.

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

Resonance wrote:Hope it works out. Hopefully you can get set up ready for The Ashes :thumb: or even some of the remaining New Zealand series.

Hah, you remembered I like cricket as well as F1. :thumb: Still works out dear even with a deal I reckon - but WTF eh?

Nutter!!

Posted on

diablo wrote:
Resonance wrote:Hope it works out. Hopefully you can get set up ready for The Ashes :thumb: or even some of the remaining New Zealand series.

Hah, you remembered I like cricket as well as F1. :thumb: Still works out dear even with a deal I reckon - but WTF eh?

Yes, I remembered. Love Cricket myself. Not into F1 though.

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

Scott Nelson wrote:TiVo signed an exclusive deal with Virgin Media some time ago. Like I said, Sky+ and Sky Anytime are excellent alternatives, but they'll never be as good as TiVo.

Sky Anytime got superseded months ago. It's now Sky ON Demand.

paint your wagons and burn your banker, coz the twisted circus is coming to town and there ain't no safety net under the high wire.

- Larry Love.

Smegster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: Puckish

Posted on

Sky are bringing out something which enables multiple boxes to share recorded programmes. You need Sky Multiroom though. Also the engineer that did my sky said they usually have offers on the 2TB boxes for £50, eventually gonna get multiroom so the kids don't hog the living room. They have their own little back room now. :)

Sky seems cheaper than Virgin to me, was last time I looked anyway.

Res when you phone sky threatening to cancel, don't take the first offer. Tell them you want to cancel but a week later phone back and say you weren't impressed with the first offer and you would love to stay with them but money is tight for a few months. Say you need time off work due to an injury or summat. Lie like there's no such thing as hell. :D They may give you a better deal, if not say you would like to terminate the cancellation and and take whatever they are offering, worked for me. :cheers:

Since moving I understand I'm back on a 12 month contract again, may have to phone em and check if I can negotiate again, my discounts have run out.

Sit on my Facebook!

Posted on

Yes, I thinking of going for the big discount this time. Once my offers have run out in a few months I'll give it a go. I might let them cancel it completely if they don't pay ball and wait for a "come back to sky" offer. Think they usually offer 50 percent off for 12 months after a while.

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

Resonance wrote:Yes, I thinking of going for the big discount this time. Once my offers have run out in a few months I'll give it a go. I might let them cancel it completely if they don't pay ball and wait for a "come back to sky" offer. Think they usually offer 50 percent off for 12 months after a while.

Do you mean after they switch it all off?

I waited just over 2 weeks before phoning back and they said they had started to turn my broadband phone off, had to wait a few days or a week for them to switch it back on. I'm sure its a con though cos I bet it's all done by computer.
When I moved they turned my broadband on remotely but that took more than a week. If it's done remotely why didn't it happen straight away? :confused:

Sit on my Facebook!

Posted on

Oh no, I wouldn't cancel the broadband and phone, just the TV.

When you take broadband from Sky your line has to be physically plugged into their kit at the exchange. So it's more that a click of a button and their is usually a bit of a wait before Sky can get an openreach engineer to do the work.

Maybe in your case the cancellation had gone past the point of no return.? Or Sky could just have been acting like arses.

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

Scott Nelson wrote:The only way to get a god deal from Sky is to contact them and cancel. They usually bend over backwards to keep your custom! Putty in our hands! :cheers:

When I first phoned to cancel I spoke to a dickhead that only offered me a saving of 4 quid a month. So I was all set to cancel because I had more important things to spend money on luckily a nice woman offered me free broadband for 6 months and half price tv for 12 month. I think they discounted the line rental but can't remember, anyway I was very happy with that offer and was lad I didn't cancel.

Sit on my Facebook!

Posted on

if a sky+ box goes wrong , does one have to buy a new box after the guarantee runs out ?
i ask because should a virgin STB go tit's up , they replace it free no matter how long you've had it ( providing you haven't caused the problem in the first place) .

I would like to thank the MOD for all of their support over the years ...thanks for fuck all :fingers:

It's all bollocks!

Posted on

wotsit2 wrote:if a sky+ box goes wrong , does one have to buy a new box after the guarantee runs out ?
i ask because should a virgin STB go tit's up , they replace it free no matter how long you've had it ( providing you haven't caused the problem in the first place) .

Sky boxes don't go wrong wots. :pp:

Made by Amstrad dont ya know, that Sugar daddy won't make something that's substandard. :doh:

Sit on my Facebook!

Posted on

wotsit2 wrote:if a sky+ box goes wrong , does one have to buy a new box after the guarantee runs out ?

Technically, because the box is owned by the subscriber then you have to pay a 60 quid call out charge to fix the problem. That includes, if necessary the replacement of box, dish, cabling, etc. In practice you ring them up and threaten to cancel because your system isn't working and they fix it for free.

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

Scott Nelson wrote:There is the option of taking out Sky Protection Plan.

I've never understood that Scott. It costs more than a call out charge every year. To make it worth having you'd have to have a problem more than once a year. Plus as I said earlier you can get sky to fix things for free if you threaten to cancel because of an equipment problem.

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

We've got the 1TB box. Plenty enough room. Nice not to worry about running out of space. The standard hd box we had before was always getting full, especially when recording hd content. It wasn't really fit for purpose as an hd pvr to be honest.

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

Resonance wrote:

Technically, because the box is owned by the subscriber then you have to pay a 60 quid call out charge to fix the problem. That includes, if necessary the replacement of box, dish, cabling, etc. In practice you ring them up and threaten to cancel because your system isn't working and they fix it for free.

i don't have that problem with virgin media res :) i don't own the STB as such so if it goes kerblewwie i don't have to pay to replace it . my upstairs V+ box 's drive failed .. replaced , no problem , no extra insurance needed :)

It's all bollocks!

Posted on

Yes, it's not a bad way Virgin do things. I guess the only advantage of owning the Sky box is if you cancel your subscription you can flog the box on eBay or keep it to view the free to air channels.

Complete Nutter!!

PreviousNext

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Media Providers and ISPs