Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Switch to Virgin?

Terrestrial [Analogue and Freeview] TV, SKY, Cable, ISPs and any other method of supplying your media!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Seriously considering cancelling Sky and going with Virgin.
The main factor is the broadband speed. My max download speed is 300 KB/s compared to 5000 KB/s at the old house. :eek:
There's just no point in the On Demand service if it keeps stopping due to it being slow.

Also the price of Sky no longer seems cheap compared to Virgin. My discount I bartered for last year has now run out too. Whatever channels I do watch are probably on both anyway. Anything that's not I can get from On Demand.

Anyone tell me if SYFY, Watch and Fox are on Virgin? :)

Sit on my Facebook!

Posted on

Stanley Tweedle wrote:Seriously considering cancelling Sky and going with Virgin.
The main factor is the broadband speed. My max download speed is 300 KB/s compared to 5000 KB/s at the old house. :eek:
There's just no point in the On Demand service if it keeps stopping due to it being slow.

Also the price of Sky no longer seems cheap compared to Virgin. My discount I bartered for last year has now run out too. Whatever channels I do watch are probably on both anyway. Anything that's not I can get from On Demand.

Anyone tell me if SYFY, Watch and Fox are on Virgin? :)

All are as far as I know Stan. You must be a long way from the exchange, hence the slow speed. Virgin would help with that as its fibre near enough to your house. Probably worth doing tbh Stan.

Complete Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

Yeah the exchange is far away, most people round here have Virgin anyway. With Sky now they are offering Fibre to those that can get it, costs £20 extra a month though. I'm noticing Sky are bringing out a few things that you have to pay extra for, like Sky Entertainment Extra+ :shrug: If someone wanted all the extra bits and bobs their bill would double.

If going with Virgin I will try for an extra box for multiroom, last tenant had an offer with that included. :D

Sit on my Facebook!

Posted on

all three channels are available with virgin stan , and they did have an offer at one point with a tivo box and a free second V+ box ...
if your equipment goes wrong at anytime you'll get a free replacement no matter how long you've had it . also the weather won't balls the picture up :)

Trying is the first step towards failure...Homer Simpson
"Ahhhhhh bollox.... whats the point "... Me :D
I would like to thank the MOD for all of their support over the years ...thanks for fuck all :fingers:
do whaaaaaa ? :tizzles:

It's all bollocks!
Location: Sunny, scintillating Blackpool . Riiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhtttttt
Current Mood: FUCKIN' FUCKITTY BOLLOCKS !!!

Posted on

Here's a list of channels on virgin Stan. Also tells you which TV pack they're in.

http://channelwiki.x10.mx/wiki/List_of_channels_on_Virgin_Media_(UK)

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

Thanks Wots, thanks Res. :)

Sit on my Facebook!

Posted on

Looking at the Virgin site and the Premier collection. The XL tv with 60Mb/s broadband and phone with line rental. Plus a free HD box, free installation and 60 quid credit and 6 month free. Free calls to landlines at weekends (and evenings IIRC)

After the 6 month it will be 63 quid. With the free box that makes up for the extra tenner I'll be paying. With the bonus of fast downloads though and the Youtube app I'll be contacting Sky and cancelling soon.

Sit on my Facebook!

Posted on

Sounds like a good deal Stan, especially the 6 months free. 60Mb will seem lightening fast after your 300Kb. Not much you can do with 300K.

Can't get Virgin here. I'm on Sky's 40Mb fibre service. It's 20 quid a month, but well worth it imo.

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

Resonance wrote:Sounds like a good deal Stan, especially the 6 months free. 60Mb will seem lightening fast after your 300Kb. Not much you can do with 300K.

Can't get Virgin here. I'm on Sky's 40Mb fibre service. It's 20 quid a month, but well worth it imo.

I checked but can't get Sky Fibre. Wouldn't deem it feasible with my tight fistedness either. :D

Sit on my Facebook!

Posted on

Stanley Tweedle wrote:Seriously considering cancelling Sky and going with Virgin.

Before you consider exchanging crap for more crap, are you using the yellow cable for the final delivery to the PC/laptop, or are you on a wireless link ?
Could anyone else you don't know be sucking your bits ? (ooer !)

The last two Sky routers were a pile of pants whenever there was more than 4 metres or a wall in between, so I doubt the newest ones are any better.

The best facial is a daily facial.

Insane Poster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: unknown

Posted on

Channel Hopper wrote:

Before you consider exchanging crap for more crap, are you using the yellow cable for the final delivery to the PC/laptop, or are you on a wireless link ?
Could anyone else you don't know be sucking your bits ? (ooer !)

The last two Sky routers were a pile of pants whenever there was more than 4 metres or a wall in between, so I doubt the newest ones are any better.

I'm comparing like for like. Wireless. I'm using utorrent. Sky says I'm getting up to 2Mbps and using their tests I am just under. On their site it says I can leave no quibbles if the speed is under 2Mbps by a lot. Okay whatever. Like I'm happy with waiting a full 5 mins for a bit of (beautiful art)

Using just utorrent and comparing a top legal torrent with something else its just the same. I'm getting just over 300 kilobytes per second. The exchange is quite far away about 500 yards.

Big difference from what they say is 15Mb/s to 2Mb/s. That's 6 or 7 times slower ffs.

CH I wish someone was sucking my bits. Even you would be an ''experience''. I've logged into my Sky Router and looked at what devices are connected and I recognise what is connected. I did notice someone called Paul was looking at dirty pictures of Wotsit though. :roll: again will they ever give it a rest.

Sit on my Facebook!

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Media Providers and ISPs