Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Lets get things straight!!

Terrestrial [Analogue and Freeview] TV, SKY, Cable, ISPs and any other method of supplying your media!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Right, I've opened this thread and I want to get a few things straight with you all.. Not trying to get any of you to suck eggs, but try to explain how it all works in simple terms.. You all have different issues, needs and service providers. As an experienced Telecoms engineer, I want to straighten out a few things to help you Smegsters out here.

OK....

POINT 1) Service provider...... Choose who you like. If it isn't Virgin, your order is placed over the BT network, regardless of who you sign up with. Choose Virgin, you get pushed onto their network.

POINT 2)You've decided on a service provider after hours of web trawling and decided the one with the maximum meg test is the one for you. Go for it. It will end in tears. Max speed in megs does not guarantee the quality of your line, and your speed WILL vary

POINT 3) Broadband is good over 1-3 km and then it deteriorates. Thats why we have to install a DSLAM to get good speeds (and DSLAM is Fibre) . PS Just because a DSLAM is present, doesn't mean you get good speeds. You have to order fibre with your provider,

Right n now we've covered the above, lets look at bandwidth. Everyones selling Bandwidth these days, After all, everyone's looking at super bandwidth. but in real terms, do any of you know what bandwidth is compared to speed??

Lets imagine your broadband is a 3 lane motorway that does 70mph. everything flows ok. (speed) .... then it reaches a 2 lane restriction. it slows down. the three lanes turn into two. At the bottleneck they slow down to maybe 20-30mph. Everything slows down. May take a few minutes to get through the botteneck to get back to maybe 50mph......

Bandwidth is just that..... WIDTH...... Turns a 3 lane data motorway into a 20 lane data motorway. yes it may still travel at 70mph, but more lanes travel at the same speed.

Speed is good, but its also better if you have the bandwidth.

Lord Gumble

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Resident Alcoholic
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Giblet Botherer

Posted on

On point 1) Some isps put their kit in exchanges (local loop unbundling). So although the line to the exchange is openreach's everything after the exchange is the isp's. Such isps as sky and talk talk use local loop unbundling.

Complete Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

Resonance wrote:On point 1) Some isps put their kit in exchanges (local loop unbundling). So although the line to the exchange is openreach's everything after the exchange is the isp's. Such isps as sky and talk talk use local loop unbundling.

Yes they do, 40-80% of my provides are LLU provides. regardless of BT or LLU I still have to get the line to the end user

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Resident Alcoholic

Posted on

Lord Gumble wrote:Right, I've opened this thread and I want to get a few things straight with you all.

Are you top, or bottom ?

The best facial is a daily facial.

Insane Poster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: unknown

Posted on

Channel Hopper wrote:
Lord Gumble wrote:Right, I've opened this thread and I want to get a few things straight with you all.

Are you top, or bottom ?

undecided. What do you suggest??

Resident Alcoholic

Posted on

Lord Gumble wrote:undecided. What do you suggest??

I'd get some Dettol in.

The best facial is a daily facial.

Insane Poster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: unknown

Posted on

Channel Hopper wrote:
Lord Gumble wrote:undecided. What do you suggest??

I'd get some Dettol in.

TCP is just torture/kink.

Sit on my Facebook!

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Media Providers and ISPs