Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

BBC to launch 5 new HD channels

Terrestrial [Analogue and Freeview] TV, SKY, Cable, ISPs and any other method of supplying your media!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Good. :) Won't use any but BBC4 and News24 but I suppose kiddies might like those silly Cbeebies things in HD.

Just hope they ain't cutting bandwidth too much when squeezing them in.

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

User avatar
Nutter!!
Posts: 9723
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:42 am
Location: Fylde Coast
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Only covering 70% of the population on terrestrial, so quite a few well miss out unless they get satellite/cable.

Good move though, because since the BBC HD channel was replaced with BBC Two HD it's being annoying not being able to watch programmes on BBC 3 and 4 in HD.



User avatar
Complete Nutter!!
Posts: 19253
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:11 pm
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

I wonder if Ofcom will get anyone else to take up the capacity? Upto 8 channels. :eek4:

Surely C5 will apply again but who else? Maybe they will wait to see if Ofcom cut the fees for using them.

Don't need a few HD shopping channels that's for sure. :)

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

User avatar
Nutter!!
Posts: 9723
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:42 am
Location: Fylde Coast
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

diablo wrote:I wonder if Ofcom will get anyone else to take up the capacity? Upto 8 channels. :eek4:

Surely C5 will apply again but who else? Maybe they will wait to see if Ofcom cut the fees for using them.

Don't need a few HD shopping channels that's for sure. :)


Dave HD, E4 HD, More4 HD could be possibilities. Even Sky News could launch in HD on terrestrial if they are afraid of viewers going over to BBC News once it's in HD?

As for shopping channels QVC plan to launch HD on satellite, so maybe they might go for terrestrial as well?



User avatar
Complete Nutter!!
Posts: 19253
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:11 pm
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Dave shows old programmes so will be pointless having Dave HD. Suppose they have a few new shows.
QVC HD pmsl.



Sit on my Facebook!
Posts: 11555
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:01 pm

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Scott Nelson wrote:The BBC is to launch HD variants of BBC Three, BBC Four, BBC News, CBBC and CBeebies next year:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23326709


Oh Goodie, Hi Definition Propaganda. :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee:

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 118895
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Stanley Tweedle wrote:Dave shows old programmes so will be pointless having Dave HD. Suppose they have a few new shows.
QVC HD pmsl.


They already have Dave HD on Sky Stan. Some of the stuff is only in SD, but there is a lot in HD.



User avatar
Complete Nutter!!
Posts: 19253
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:11 pm
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Resonance wrote:
Stanley Tweedle wrote:Dave shows old programmes so will be pointless having Dave HD. Suppose they have a few new shows.
QVC HD pmsl.


They already have Dave HD on Sky Stan. Some of the stuff is only in SD, but there is a lot in HD.


Yup, a lot of old recordings are actually in very good quality.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 118895
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Scott Nelson wrote:Forthcoming HD channels (on Sky at least) include:

QVC HD
Travel HD
CNN HD
Film 4 HD
More 4 HD
CBS HD (all three channels)

Hope we eventually get HD variants of Sky 2, Pick TV (formerly Sky 3), Gold, Discovery Home & Leisure, Discovery History, Discovery Science, H2 and Quest.


I'd rather see more new programs and more programs that don't come from America

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 118895
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

diablo wrote:Good. :) Won't use any but BBC4 and News24 but I suppose kiddies might like those silly Cbeebies things in HD.

Just hope they ain't cutting bandwidth too much when squeezing them in.

Are you kidding me...? "grandpa in my pocket" in full HD fantastic ..... :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :jig:



User avatar
Really Loves Smeggy's
Posts: 2411
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:26 pm
Location: Northampton UK
How Hot Are You?: Scorchio!
Current Mood: unknown

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

stinkymouse wrote:
diablo wrote:Good. :) Won't use any but BBC4 and News24 but I suppose kiddies might like those silly Cbeebies things in HD.

Just hope they ain't cutting bandwidth too much when squeezing them in.

Are you kidding me...? "grandpa in my pocket" in full HD fantastic ..... :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :jig:


Sounds like the sort of film Jimmy Savile would have watched

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 118895
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

I might like to see Rhianna in HD. :D



Sit on my Facebook!
Posts: 11555
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:01 pm

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Rather than put simulcasts of existing channels in HD onto Freeview (for which you need to buy a separate Freeview HD box if your TV doesn't deal with it), why not use the extra bandwidth to put more channels onto it? For one I wouldn't mind seeing Eden come to Freeview

There are many things that I could do today. I could in fact help any one of you, but I won't. :)

User avatar
Hooked
Posts: 292
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:25 am
Location: In front of a computer. Where else would I be?
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: Chilling Out

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Belgarath wrote:Rather than put simulcasts of existing channels in HD onto Freeview (for which you need to buy a separate Freeview HD box if your TV doesn't deal with it), why not use the extra bandwidth to put more channels onto it? For one I wouldn't mind seeing Eden come to Freeview


Eden is a subscription channel on Sky (and cable)? As such they receive a cut of the subscription money. They would have to weigh up if getting more viewers by going on Freeview would increase their ad revenue enough to make up for the loss of subscription revenue from their deal with Sky. Even Sky themselves make hardly anything from advertising. From memory it's around 8% of their profits.

A lot of channels stay subscription, because it just isn't worth their while going free to air.



User avatar
Complete Nutter!!
Posts: 19253
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:11 pm
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Stanley Tweedle wrote:I might like to see Rhianna in HD. :D


Like the talkies killed off 'silent' stars, HD is going to show up every blemish/pimple/rash/STD going, and Rhianna isn't puttting all of her ill gotten gains into the bank.

All that scratching is making me itch.

The best facial is a daily facial.

User avatar
Insane Poster
Posts: 24139
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:40 pm
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: unknown

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Scott Nelson wrote:
Resonance wrote:
Belgarath wrote:Rather than put simulcasts of existing channels in HD onto Freeview (for which you need to buy a separate Freeview HD box if your TV doesn't deal with it), why not use the extra bandwidth to put more channels onto it? For one I wouldn't mind seeing Eden come to Freeview


Eden is a subscription channel on Sky (and cable)? As such they receive a cut of the subscription money. They would have to weigh up if getting more viewers by going on Freeview would increase their ad revenue enough to make up for the loss of subscription revenue from their deal with Sky. Even Sky themselves make hardly anything from advertising. From memory it's around 8% of their profits.

A lot of channels stay subscription, because it just isn't worth their while going free to air.


There are several channels on Sky which are part of the Sky package, yet they're also available free-to-air on Freesat and Freeview. This is very unfair.


I'm guessing Sky pay more if they aren't available for free though?



User avatar
Complete Nutter!!
Posts: 19253
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:11 pm
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Channel Hopper wrote:
Stanley Tweedle wrote:I might like to see Rhianna in HD. :D


Like the talkies killed off 'silent' stars, HD is going to show up every blemish/pimple/rash/STD going, and Rhianna isn't puttting all of her ill gotten gains into the bank.

All that scratching is making me itch.


They said that 10 years ago and we still have fake uglies in HD. I only like her arse (no Scott not that way) :D



Sit on my Facebook!
Posts: 11555
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:01 pm

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

yep res , Eden is in HD on cable . the channel shows a lot of SD programmes as well on it which to me is a bit of a rip off :mad1:

Trying is the first step towards failure...Homer Simpson
"Ahhhhhh bollox.... whats the point "... Me :D
I would like to thank the MOD for all of their support over the years ...thanks for fuck all :fingers:
do whaaaaaa ? :tizzles:

User avatar
It's all bollocks!
Posts: 47305
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:33 am
Location: Sunny, scintillating Blackpool . Riiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhtttttt
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: FUCKIN' FUCKITTY BOLLOCKS !!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Resonance wrote:
Scott Nelson wrote:
Resonance wrote:
Belgarath wrote:Rather than put simulcasts of existing channels in HD onto Freeview (for which you need to buy a separate Freeview HD box if your TV doesn't deal with it), why not use the extra bandwidth to put more channels onto it? For one I wouldn't mind seeing Eden come to Freeview


Eden is a subscription channel on Sky (and cable)? As such they receive a cut of the subscription money. They would have to weigh up if getting more viewers by going on Freeview would increase their ad revenue enough to make up for the loss of subscription revenue from their deal with Sky. Even Sky themselves make hardly anything from advertising. From memory it's around 8% of their profits.

A lot of channels stay subscription, because it just isn't worth their while going free to air.


There are several channels on Sky which are part of the Sky package, yet they're also available free-to-air on Freesat and Freeview. This is very unfair.


I'm guessing Sky pay more if they aren't available for free though?

I can understand all the reasons, etc. for why certain channels would stay as part of the subscription packages with Sky and Virgin, it just annoys me that if you can get channels for free via Freesat, why can't they be a part of Freeview and reduce the number of +1 and HD channels that I'm sure people would gladly drop in favour of extra viewing choices.

CBS Action, CBS Drama, CBS Reality, True Entertainment, True Movies 1 + 2 -- all of these are available on Freesat but not on Freeview. Granted there's not a lot broadcast on any of them that I would want to watch all the time but it would be nice to have the option of whether or not I could do so without having to go to extent of getting a satellite dish put up and a set-top box attached to my TV...

There are many things that I could do today. I could in fact help any one of you, but I won't. :)

User avatar
Hooked
Posts: 292
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:25 am
Location: In front of a computer. Where else would I be?
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: Chilling Out

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

snob :pp:
i prefer cable because i don't get a bad picture because of bad weather scott :)

Trying is the first step towards failure...Homer Simpson
"Ahhhhhh bollox.... whats the point "... Me :D
I would like to thank the MOD for all of their support over the years ...thanks for fuck all :fingers:
do whaaaaaa ? :tizzles:

User avatar
It's all bollocks!
Posts: 47305
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:33 am
Location: Sunny, scintillating Blackpool . Riiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhtttttt
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: FUCKIN' FUCKITTY BOLLOCKS !!!

Next

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Media Providers and ISPs

Similar topics

  • Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
    Top of Page

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests