Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Updating phone firmware.

Terrestrial [Analogue and Freeview] TV, SKY, Cable, ISPs and any other method of supplying your media!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Upgrading Samsung Galaxy II to latest version of firmware. Could well be a mistake.

Previous updates seem to had had trouble connecting for a week or two afterwards.

Though the phone sometimes suddenly turns itself off for no apparent reason, so I'm hoping that will stop. :)

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Posted on

With my blackberry I can tell it's ready to update as it's slow with everything, then when it does it's back to normal. Btw don't get a blackberry. :) I'm happy with it but I could do so much better. Such as a Samsung Galaxy. :doh:

Sit on my Facebook!

Posted on

My bloody laptop decided to overheat when it was 99% through the update (which takes 30 mins) and when I rebooted it and plugged the phone in it said 'recovery needed'. So I left it doing that when I went over to the pub (with the fan directed at the laptop to stop overheating) but it still wasn't doing anything when I got back after 3 hours.

Just restoring the data at the moment - well it may work. :confused: That takes ages as well.

I had two Blackberries before the Samsung 'coz I needed the 'push data' thingy at the time, but this one is better. :)

Nutter!!

Posted on

Arrgh, all the screens have changed, it don't work the same way now. I'll have to relearn everything. :rofl:

Nutter!!

Posted on

Updated my S2 a few months ago. Is there a more recent update dabs?

The battery on mine is not good. Goes flat after about 15 hours. Still my contract is up in about 3 months. Thinking about getting a Nexus 4 (buying it) and getting a sim only deal. Works out cheaper than getting a phone on contract.

Complete Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

Missus washed her phone last week in the washing machine, completely dead despite the rice in a bag method. Gave her mine. Might just pay to end her contract and she can have mine as I don't really need one. Just a pay and go so people can get hold of me.

Sit on my Facebook!

Posted on

Stanley Tweedle wrote:Missus washed her phone last week in the washing machine, completely dead despite the rice in a bag method. Gave her mine. Might just pay to end her contract and she can have mine as I don't really need one. Just a pay and go so people can get hold of me.

My missus did exactly the same thing a few months ago :stomp:

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

The update is version 4.1.2 of Jelly Bean (why do they use silly names?) and you may well already have it as I've been putting off upgrading for a month or three. Seems to be working okay so far.

I think my contract expires at the end of the year but I haven't thought about what to do then.

Nutter!!

Posted on

diablo wrote:The update is version 4.1.2 of Jelly Bean (why do they use silly names?) and you may well already have it as I've been putting off upgrading for a month or three. Seems to be working okay so far.

I think my contract expires at the end of the year but I haven't thought about what to do then.

The next version of android is called key lime pie :)

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

Resonance wrote:
Stanley Tweedle wrote:Missus washed her phone last week in the washing machine, completely dead despite the rice in a bag method. Gave her mine. Might just pay to end her contract and she can have mine as I don't really need one. Just a pay and go so people can get hold of me.

They don't deserve anything electrical do they? :D

Sit on my Facebook!

Posted on

Stanley Tweedle wrote:
Resonance wrote:

Lol, they can't help it bless 'em :D

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

Stanley Tweedle wrote:
Resonance wrote:

i tell cactus that a lot ... my bruises prove it :D

Trying is the first step towards failure...Homer Simpson
"Ahhhhhh bollox.... whats the point "... Me :D
I would like to thank the MOD for all of their support over the years ...thanks for fuck all :fingers:
do whaaaaaa ? :tizzles:

It's all bollocks!
Location: Sunny, scintillating Blackpool . Riiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhtttttt
Current Mood: FUCKIN' FUCKITTY BOLLOCKS !!!

Posted on

diablo wrote:The update is version 4.1.2 of Jelly Bean (why do they use silly names?) and you may well already have it as I've been putting off upgrading for a month or three. Seems to be working okay so far.

I'm now up to date (4.1.2), updated last night. So far so good, although it did remove all my icons from my home screen :mad1: Put them all back now though.

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

Resonance wrote:
I'm now up to date (4.1.2), updated last night. So far so good, although it did remove all my icons from my home screen :mad1: Put them all back now though.

Mine been working much the same as before, though doesn't crash since the upgrade. :) Which is what I wanted.

Only thing is that I've kept getting a 'Samsung log-in screen - enter passord' thing quite a lot. If I try to put the password in it says 'Samsung app has stopped working'. :confused:

Nutter!!

Posted on

Not had that so far. It did ask me to log in, but only once and it worked fine.

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

Sometimes I think I'd be happier with 2 tin cans and a piece of string. :)

Sit on my Facebook!

Posted on

Stanley Tweedle wrote:Sometimes I think I'd be happier with 2 tin cans and a piece of string. :)

That brings back memories :)

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

diablo wrote:
Resonance wrote:

Mine been working much the same as before, though doesn't crash since the upgrade. :) Which is what I wanted.

Only thing is that I've kept getting a 'Samsung log-in screen - enter passord' thing quite a lot. If I try to put the password in it says 'Samsung app has stopped working'. :confused:

Got rid of my annoying log-in thing now.

Seems a lot better on battery usage since the change - though I did get a new battery at around that time.

And still no crashes. :yippee:

How is your phone doing since the update Res?

Nutter!!

Posted on

diablo wrote:
diablo wrote:
Resonance wrote:

Got rid of my annoying log-in thing now.

Seems a lot better on battery usage since the change - though I did get a new battery at around that time.

And still no crashes. :yippee:

How is your phone doing since the update Res?

It's retired now. I got myself a Nexus 4 (16GB version). They've reduced them down to £199, I presume to clear stock for the new one coming out? I got one just before the reduction at £269 :doh: Luckily Google agreed to refund the difference......phew.

It's a great phone. Really quick compared to the S2. Can't fault it so far. I got a SIM only deal from Tesco for £7.50/month. 250 minutes, 5,000 texts and 500MB of data. All in all it works out cheaper than getting the phone as part of a contract.

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

My deal expires early next year, might do someting similar. The buggers seems to be changing me £18 month now with various increases :confused: , that includes about £8 insurance premium. :eek4:

Might get a few quid for the old one though (maybe £60 by then). :)

Nutter!!

Next

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Media Providers and ISPs