Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Smeggys nuuuu fibre broadband connection

Terrestrial [Analogue and Freeview] TV, SKY, Cable, ISPs and any other method of supplying your media!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:Annnnnnd, the £100 Sainsburys gift voucher came today. Hurrah!!

Should get you a few ingredients :thumb:

Complete Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

Resonance wrote:
smeggypants wrote:Annnnnnd, the £100 Sainsburys gift voucher came today. Hurrah!!

We've decided to spend it on kitchen hardware :) Dunno waht yet though

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:
Resonance wrote:

Excellent. It's a pretty good deal getting the vouchers, especially as you were moving over to BT infinity anyway.

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

Resonance wrote:This fibre roll out is a massive boon to people who like you were getting crap speeds on adsl. I was getting about 12Mb before I upgraded to fibre, so I had a pretty usable connection to start with. Going from 2Mb to 74Mb is massive though. Let's you do do many more things with your connection.

They need to get fibre to the premises rolled out more widely now. You can order a 330Mb connection with that. If you live in a fibre to the cabinet area they'll let you have it if you pay for the extra fibre optic run from the cabinet to your house. Will cost thousands for the install though. Still, if I win the lottery :chin:

In places like Japan and South Korea they offer 1Gb connections to home users :eek4: .
Do you plan to emigrate to Japan or South Korea for that purpose? :D

Looks like this part of the UK does get what Japan and South Korea get: http://b4rn.org.uk/ :cool1:

Posted on

No, not emigrating :)

We could have really fast speeds here. Just needs BT, or others to roll out fibre to the premises over a much wider area. It will happen eventually hopefully.

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

Resonance wrote:
smeggypants wrote:
Resonance wrote:

Excellent. It's a pretty good deal getting the vouchers, especially as you were moving over to BT infinity anyway.

Yup can't complain :) :)

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

Resonance wrote:No, not emigrating :)

We could have really fast speeds here. Just needs BT, or others to roll out fibre to the premises over a much wider area. It will happen eventually hopefully.

It'll happen. Not a quick job digging up the pavement in every street in the country though. At least they've as far as the cabinet

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

If B4RN can do it in a vast rural area quite easily, then why not BT? :confused:

Posted on

pinkteddyx64 wrote:

If B4RN can do it in a vast rural area quite easily, then why not BT? :confused:

They can, they probably don't think it's economically viable though. They are probably also waiting for some government handouts. They've already received a load to get fibre to the cabinet to more rural locations.

Basically the attitude will be why pay, when you can get the taxpayer to do it a few years down the line.

Also not many people need and/or want to pay the extra when they can get 80Mb at the moment, which is enough for most.

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

Resonance wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:

They can, they probably don't think it's economically viable though. They are probably also waiting for some government handouts. They've already received a load to get fibre to the cabinet to more rural locations.

Basically the attitude will be why pay, when you can get the taxpayer to do it a few years down the line.

Also not many people need and/or want to pay the extra when they can get 80Mb at the moment, which is enough for most.
Apparently, the B4RN 1Gbps broadband is only £30 per month! :eek4:

Posted on

If I could get a 1Gb connection for £30 I'd be snapping their hand off.

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

Just transferred over to BT myself (from Sky). Mainly to get BT Sports for less than the £12 to get it through Sky. Infinity works out £6 more than Sky, but I'm getting double the speed and BT Sport included.

I was only estimated just over 50Mb, but am getting this

So I'm well happy :thumb:

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

Resonance wrote:Just transferred over to BT myself (from Sky). Mainly to get BT Sports for less than the £12 to get it through Sky. Infinity works out £6 more than Sky, but I'm getting double the speed and BT Sport included.

I was only estimated just over 50Mb, but am getting this

So I'm well happy :thumb:

Hurrah!!

About the same as wot I'm getting :thumb: :thumb:

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Previous

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Media Providers and ISPs