Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Samsung ordered to pay Apple $290.45m

Terrestrial [Analogue and Freeview] TV, SKY, Cable, ISPs and any other method of supplying your media!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

crumbs wrote:Apple products are always better than non-Apple products. I use a mixture of Apple and Samsung products (computers, phones and tablets) and find that the Apple kit works better, is more intuitive, lasts longer and is easier to sell after i've done my shit on it.

Apple products are OK if you want to be locked in to what they allow you to do. You can't even choose a different keyboard to use on an iPhone for example without jailbreaking it. You can't have widgets on your homescreen either. All pretty poor and restrictive imo and certainly doesn't make them the best, unless not being allowed to do pretty normal things = better.

Complete Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

Resonance wrote:
crumbs wrote:Apple products are always better than non-Apple products. I use a mixture of Apple and Samsung products (computers, phones and tablets) and find that the Apple kit works better, is more intuitive, lasts longer and is easier to sell after i've done my shit on it.

Apple products are OK if you want to be locked in to what they allow you to do. You can't even choose a different keyboard to use on an iPhone for example without jailbreaking it. You can't have widgets on your homescreen either. All pretty poor and restrictive imo and certainly doesn't make them the best, unless not being allowed to do pretty normal things = better.

:thumb:

Trying is the first step towards failure...Homer Simpson
"Ahhhhhh bollox.... whats the point "... Me :D
I would like to thank the MOD for all of their support over the years ...thanks for fuck all :fingers:
do whaaaaaa ? :tizzles:

It's all bollocks!
Location: Sunny, scintillating Blackpool . Riiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhtttttt
Current Mood: FUCKIN' FUCKITTY BOLLOCKS !!!

Posted on

crumbs wrote:To be honest, I spend more of my time actually USING my Apple products to do useful things. For my Android/Samsung products, I spend more time fucking around with them to get them to work properly.

Can't say I've ever had a problem. Have had Samsung (Android) stuff in the past. Currently I've got a Nexus 4. It runs pure Android, I find that even better, as Samsung tend to add some of their own bloatware.

Just the fact that I couldn't use SwiftKey means I won't go near Apple.

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

Resonance wrote:

This is why I will always buy an Android device; no matter who made the phone or tablet, it will be Android.

Posted on

crumbs wrote:
Resonance wrote:

I'm not locked into anything on any of my Apple products. I use a third-party bowser, third party email client, etc. I use iTunes because I love it and it works with my wireless, distributed speaker/media system at home where I can switch one or more sets of speakers in any room on or off using my phone or tablet for music/video around the house in every room (using Apples built-in Airplay system). I could, at great expense, get a third-party wireless speaker system...

You may be able to do all of the above, but Apple do apply restrictions in comparison to Android. As I said earlier you can't even use a third party keyboard.

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

Resonance wrote:
crumbs wrote:
Resonance wrote:

I'm not locked into anything on any of my Apple products. I use a third-party bowser, third party email client, etc. I use iTunes because I love it and it works with my wireless, distributed speaker/media system at home where I can switch one or more sets of speakers in any room on or off using my phone or tablet for music/video around the house in every room (using Apples built-in Airplay system). I could, at great expense, get a third-party wireless speaker system...

You may be able to do all of the above, but Apple do apply restrictions in comparison to Android. As I said earlier you can't even use a third party keyboard.

Plus - you may not know this, but all web browsers in the app store must use old Safari engines, rather than their own engines used in the desktop browsers. That's why Opera is only a "mini" browser on iOS, due to it's restrictions with browsers.
Therefore, as a result, Safari is the quickest out of the bunch - so really you're again being forced to use stock products (other browsers aren't as fast as Safari).

A quote from the Tom's page:
Before we begin, we have to touch on one key fact that makes iOS unlike any other popular operating system today: the strict walled garden. You see, Apple mandates that any third-party Web browser sold in the App Store must use the stock WebKit rendering and JavaScript engines.

That's right folks, they're all WebKit browsers. And not just different WebKit browsers like Chrome and Safari on the desktop, either, but complete mobile Safari clones.

Previous

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Media Providers and ISPs