Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

If people ignore warnings, no further action will be taken

Terrestrial [Analogue and Freeview] TV, SKY, Cable, ISPs and any other method of supplying your media!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

If people ignore warnings, no further action will be taken

What a load of bollocks. people who download stuff aren't going to stop downloading stuff because of some email asking them not to. :rofl:

UK anti-piracy campaign set to begin

People in the UK who persistently pirate music and movies will soon start getting emails warning them that their actions are illegal.

The warnings are part of a larger scheme that aims to educate people about copyright and legal ways to enjoy digital content.

Starting next year, up to four warnings annually will be sent to households suspected of copyright infringement.

But if people ignore the warnings, no further action will be taken.

The warning system is the result of four years' wrangling between internet service providers (ISPs) and industry bodies representing music and movie-makers.

The original enforcement regime was outlined in the Digital Economy Act 2010 and called for persistent pirates to have their net access cut off after a series of warnings.

Article continues here ...

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

Glad they didn't go through with taking people off the net. Especially as this law happened because Peter Mandelson had a cosy dinner with someone from the entertainment industry, before suddenly proposing the law. It didn't even have proper scrutiny, because parliament ran out of time before the last election and it was basically waved through in the wash up.

Glad the isp's stood up to them. Shame they didn't do the same with default on filtering.

Complete Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

The problem is the false positives. plus people have had letters inthe past asking for payments for downloading songs that don't even exist.

it's all bollocks

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:The problem is the false positives. plus people have had letters inthe past asking for payments for downloading songs that don't even exist.

it's all bollocks

Yup, also the problem of more than one person using a connection. There's no way from an ip address anyone can tell who did the illegal download. So as far as the law is concerned it's pretty much impossible to prove who did it. Even if you live alone you could have unsecured WiFi, stupid I know, but not illegal.

Most people that are heavy downloaders of pirated stuff use encrypted vpn's these days anyway.

I'm totally legal these days. Now there are services like Spotify/Deezer for music I just stream as much as I want for a monthly fee (£4.99 currently). No real need to pirate if there's a reasonably priced alternative. Then there's YouTube which has loads of music on.

The only fly in the ointment is watching Sport for a reasonable price. Even then I've re-subscribed to Sky Sports, because they phoned up with an offer not long after I cancelled.

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

Very very rare I download anything. Youtube has pretty much everything on it you can images music wise

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

I watch a lot of US TV on pirate TV as I can't afford Sky e.g. Hawaii 5o, NCIS LA, Dallas also I love the UK comedy Trollied (Sky 1). Some may be available on Freeview, but often way behind the US.

Fine Barman!

Posted on

Still stands though that they can't tell who did the download, even if they get the internal IP. Admittedly it would get them a lot closer though.

Most of the people trying to catch pirates just get themselves in Bit Torrent swarms and log the ip addresses of the people uploading data to them. As far as I know that's about as complicated as it gets.

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

Like this will stop people from illegally downloading music and movies! :doh:

It's like putting Dracula in charge of a blood bank.

:mwave1:

Complete Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: Not happy. Not sad. Somewhere in between

Posted on

Resonance wrote:Now there are services like Spotify/Deezer for music I just stream as much as I want for a monthly fee (£4.99 currently). No real need to pirate if there's a reasonably priced alternative. Then there's YouTube which has loads of music on.

If you have spotify, or some thing similar, you don't need to download illegally, now spotify used to allow you to pay for track, and you could download them, but for some reason this stopped, think it had to do with what the artist were getting

But even with spotify, there is a way to download music, but its time consuming, but it can be done

I usually select my tracks as favourites, and play them, while playing them, I record them with a software on my pc, 2 hrs later I will have at least 2 albums worth of music, so every time a new album comes out, and I like it, I record the tracks

using the software editing suite, divide the tracks, and save then as mp3, and even use something like mp3tag to rename all the tracks

One problem I see is the record company's, they moan about illegal downloading, but they also provide the blank cd/dvd

On two rolls!!

Posted on

I download us tv shows that haven't been picked up or been cancelled by uk tv stations. Like Teen Wolf and Breaking Bad.

I use Peerblock to prevent viruses and government anti peer to peer snooping and Trojans. Also have anti virus obv. Torren Ting website is small and hasn't been blocked by isp's, which i sometimes use, but KAT and tpb are easy to access even with being blocked. Just search come.in

Sit on my Facebook!

Posted on

crumbs wrote:
Resonance wrote:Still stands though that they can't tell who did the download, even if they get the internal IP. Admittedly it would get them a lot closer though.

They can. Most modern routers provided by ISPs are remotely managed by the ISPs. The router will contain a DHCP mapping table which will show which device (MAC address) has which IP. A MAC address is unique to one device (strictly speaking, a network interface). Most ISPs are able to find out the device name and MAC address of the actual device that was used to get up to no good. They can do this, and do do this, remotely.

Yes, what I'm saying is they can't prove who was using the device.

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

Resonance wrote:
crumbs wrote:
Resonance wrote:Still stands though that they can't tell who did the download, even if they get the internal IP. Admittedly it would get them a lot closer though.

They can. Most modern routers provided by ISPs are remotely managed by the ISPs. The router will contain a DHCP mapping table which will show which device (MAC address) has which IP. A MAC address is unique to one device (strictly speaking, a network interface). Most ISPs are able to find out the device name and MAC address of the actual device that was used to get up to no good. They can do this, and do do this, remotely.

But the police could via fingerprints etc.

Let 'em say we're crazy, I don't care about that! :D

Loves The place!
How Hot Are You?: Centre Of The Sun
Current Mood: Fuck it

Posted on

Unfortunately wrote:
Resonance wrote:
crumbs wrote:

But the police could via fingerprints etc.

What if there are five sets of prints?

Complete Nutter!!

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Media Providers and ISPs