Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Wi-Fi "co-op" could provide internet access for all

Terrestrial [Analogue and Freeview] TV, SKY, Cable, ISPs and any other method of supplying your media!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

http://technology.newscientist.com/arti ... r-all.html

What does everyone think of this? I don't think its something that I would like to try, I like to have my own secured router and internet access, I don't particuarly like the idea of having it open for any bugger to come and plug in on, there is bound to be some flaw in it where private information will be open to all.
Not a good move I don't think.

Really Loves the Place!
How Hot Are You?: Centre Of The Sun

Posted on

No, I don't like the idea of people being able to dip in and out of my network, so to speak, whenever they wanted. There would be nothing to stop people using your connection for questionable means; if they caused any trouble or accessed anything they shouldn't, it would be traced back to you, not them.

I'm pretty sure it would be against most ISP terms and conditions too, unless the ISPs gave their blessing for this, but I can't see it, to be honest.

Misanthropic Trucker
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl

Posted on

No Chance wrote:No, I don't like the idea of people being able to dip in and out of my network, so to speak, whenever they wanted. There would be nothing to stop people using your connection for questionable means; if they caused any trouble or accessed anything they shouldn't, it would be traced back to you, not them.

I'm pretty sure it would be against most ISP terms and conditions too, unless the ISPs gave their blessing for this, but I can't see it, to be honest.

Good point, I never thought of that. I suppose if they were to go ahead with something along the lines of that they might provide everyone with some sort of password and username to log onto the internet with so that it would be traced back to them should it need to be.

PS. I just realised that the whole article is not there on that link. My uncle gets the New Scientist magazine and when I read the it in there yesterday it said that you have to register to go onto this "co-op WiFi. So maybe thats how they trace who is who using the IP's.

Really Loves the Place!
How Hot Are You?: Centre Of The Sun

Posted on

No thanks, not only do ISPs have fair usage limits which some bugger may well break for you there's the problem of people using all your bandwidth for torrents and the like.

Smegster
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

We share internet connections anyway as soon as we get to the other side of the exchange. that's why ISPs have contention ratios. There' isn't enough bandwidth. for everyone to be using 100% all the time.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Media Providers and ISPs