Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Photography!!!

Fashion, Travel, Hobbies, Pursuits, Fetishes, etc, etc

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Photography!!!

After getting into scanning my old negatives from the 1980s ( you can see some of Dubai here ) I'm getting the yearning to get into photography again.

I've still got my old gear( Pentax SF1 and various lenses ) but I don't want to use that dinosaur 35mm film again ( even though it's got a charm about it ) so I'm starting to collect some kit again. I can't afford new stuff so I'm going the Ebay route. I just won a decent tripod, there's a flashgun auction ending soon.

As for the camera itself I've heading towards a Pentax K20D and various lenses as they come up for auction.

Apart from Gemo who has taken some fantastic shots is their any other peeps here whose into snapping?

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

Id like to be a photographer of adult art...but i know Jane would never allow!!

Really Loves Smeggy's
How Hot Are You?: Scorchio!
Current Mood: unknown

Posted on

stinkymouse wrote:Id like to be a photographer of adult art...but i know Jane would never allow!!

Take piccies of Jane :)

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:
stinkymouse wrote:Id like to be a photographer of adult art...but i know Jane would never allow!!

Take piccies of Jane :)

I took a picture of jane naked once on my mobile with her permission,we looked at it ...and see imminently made me delete it.

Really Loves Smeggy's
How Hot Are You?: Scorchio!
Current Mood: unknown

Posted on

Bollocks. Got outbid on the flash gun. I wasn't gonna pay £236 for it. :(

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

Wibbity Woo!!!! :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee:

Just bought myself a Pentax K20D + 18-55mm lens. Won the Ebay bid!!!! £490.

Just got to wait for the bastard now!!

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

Nice

Posted on

I'm excited. I've had a 20 hiatus from photography.

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

Pentax digitals are known to be very vivid in the colour department, I was blown away when I saw the results of a friends photo shoot from a gig I played. Superb bit of kit! Your old lenses should fit, but you'll get different focal lengths with them as most digitals are 1:6 sensor, to get a digital full frame model like the old film camera, you'd easily pay over a grand for body only.

I bought a flash gun for my camera a while ago, it is the top of the range Canon hot-shoe flash (580EX mkII). Many features such as strobe, 360 degree swivel head, and you can also use it as a master, to trigger slave (off camera) flashes. I got it for £239 on ebay (new), but it is worth at least double! Worthwhile getting a decent flashgun, gives you much more creative scope than a cheapo!

Does the battery grip come as standard on that model, as pictured?

Loves Smeggy's
Current Mood: Electric!

Posted on

LektroiD wrote:Pentax digitals are known to be very vivid in the colour department, I was blown away when I saw the results of a friends photo shoot from a gig I played. Superb bit of kit! Your old lenses should fit, but you'll get different focal lengths with them as most digitals are 1:6 sensor, to get a digital full frame model like the old film camera, you'd easily pay over a grand for body only.

Yeah I've just learnt the difference in focal lengths. I wasn't aware of that before. Apparently with the K20D you multiply the original length by 1.5. So an old 50mm will give a 75mm on teh DSLR. Cool, my old sigma 300mm turns into a 450mm :eek: :)

I bought a flash gun for my camera a while ago, it is the top of the range Canon hot-shoe flash (580EX mkII). Many features such as strobe, 360 degree swivel head, and you can also use it as a master, to trigger slave (off camera) flashes. I got it for £239 on ebay (new), but it is worth at least double! Worthwhile getting a decent flashgun, gives you much more creative scope than a cheapo!

I've 8 minutes to go on a Pentax top of the range flash on Eeeeee-bay. Wish me luck :) :fingers_crossed: :fingers_crossed: :fingers_crossed:

Does the battery grip come as standard on that model, as pictured?

Nah, seperate. Some good deals on E-bay. I expect I'll get one. Nothing worse than running out of power.

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

Bloopity Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! :yippee: :yippee: :yippee:

just won an auction on one of these ... Pentax AF-540FGZ Flash Gun £200 - £330ish new

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

I love photography; I'm always taking pics of random stuff. Always have my camera when I'm out.

For Christmas I'm gonna treat myself to a really good one, I think. It's long overdue.

Misanthropic Trucker
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl

Posted on

Brilliant!!!

Looks like a good bit of kit there!

Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

No Chance wrote:I love photography; I'm always taking pics of random stuff. Always have my camera when I'm out.

For Christmas I'm gonna treat myself to a really good one, I think. It's long overdue.

Do it mate. In 20 odd years time those pics will become invaluable. With your job you have a great opportunity to record life in various parts of the country. I'm watching a program on BBC4 about 1920sooour photography. Amazing stuff

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

worth grabbing a sto-fen for your flash, for softening the shadows. I got mine for a tenner on eBay

http://www.stofen.com/Info/index.htm

Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

LektroiD wrote:worth grabbing a sto-fen for your flash, for softening the shadows. I got mine for a tenner on eBay

http://www.stofen.com/Info/index.htm

Yeah I've seen those. I shall imagine I'll be collecting a whole load of accessories in due course. A few 32Gb SDHC cards will come in handy too :)

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

I bought a second battery for mine. It was £40, as they say; better to be safe than sorry!

I have a 4GB high speed card for mine, which is fine, as I can get over 700 hi res jpg photos on it. I don't shoot in raw mode as it's a pain in the arse to translate them back to jpg. Plus it fills up your hard drive too quickly.

I also have a compact which takes the same card, so I always have a spare if needed anyway (which I haven't yet).

If you do any landscape photography, a circular polariser is essential!

Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

LektroiD wrote:I bought a second battery for mine. It was £40, as they say; better to be safe than sorry!

I have a 4GB high speed card for mine, which is fine, as I can get over 700 hi res jpg photos on it. I don't shoot in raw mode as it's a pain in the arse to translate them back to jpg. Plus it fills up your hard drive too quickly.

I also have a compact which takes the same card, so I always have a spare if needed anyway (which I haven't yet).

I really don't mind the space on the drive. I'm currently saving mu negative scans at 4800 pixels wide which means the uncompressed TIF file is around 40Mb. RAW files from the new camera should be smaller. Although I will experiment. I'm sure there's a batch utility around. I'm a bit of a redundancy shooter anyway. I'll take a 100 shots and throw away 90% of them :)

If you do any landscape photography, a circular polariser is essential!

Indeed. I just found this...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andy-mac/457797458/

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

Circular polarisation is the one effect you can't Photoshop!

ND filters are also good for special effects ;)

Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

LektroiD wrote:Circular polarisation is the one effect you can't Photoshop!

ND filters are also good for special effects ;)

When I googled Neutral density filters I thought 'point?' given you chabnge change the aperture, but then http://www.adidap.com/2008/02/15/neutra ... -use-them/ made perfect sense.

Some times you want a certain aperture size or shutter speed for an effect and the amount of light is too much for that.

:cheers: for that!!!

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Next

Return to Lifestyle