Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Photography!!!

Fashion, Travel, Hobbies, Pursuits, Fetishes, etc, etc

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

I hate shooting RAW, you end up with heaps of huge files on your drive that are near impossible to convert back to jpg, even photoshop couldn't open them when I tried, it was asking me to input the dimensions of the photos, but when I put it in, it said it was wrong and refused to open them. I really can't see the point of RAW; jpg is convenient and opens on every graphic program available without needing pointless conversion.

Loves Smeggy's
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Electric!

Posted on

LektroiD wrote:I hate shooting RAW, you end up with heaps of huge files on your drive that are near impossible to convert back to jpg, even photoshop couldn't open them when I tried, it was asking me to input the dimensions of the photos, but when I put it in, it said it was wrong and refused to open them. I really can't see the point of RAW; jpg is convenient and opens on every graphic program available without needing pointless conversion.

Only Photoshop CS and later fully supports RAW. Earlier versions of Photoshop don't.

Loves The place!

Posted on

Yeah, I've got Photoshop CS3 and it opens them up in it's Camera Raw mode which seems to be a kind of plugin. You can set quite a few parameters and then open the result up in Photoshop where you can further edit it as a bitmap and save it as tif, jpg blaaadeeblaaadeeebla.

After some research I can see the benefits of RAW and I'd certainly want to save RAWs for important shots. But for when rattling off a bunch of shots as a record of a place you've visited for example then a decent jpg is more than enough.

I'm still working on the best way to manage the shots. I'm thinking of shooting both RAW and jpg, and after transferring to the computer simply deleting the RAWs of the unimportant pics. That's easy to do with windows thumbnail enabled.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

LektroiD wrote:I hate shooting RAW, you end up with heaps of huge files on your drive that are near impossible to convert back to jpg, even photoshop couldn't open them when I tried, it was asking me to input the dimensions of the photos, but when I put it in, it said it was wrong and refused to open them. I really can't see the point of RAW; jpg is convenient and opens on every graphic program available without needing pointless conversion.

Hey mate you wanna get yourself copy of Photoshop CS3 or above.

I took a load of test shots around the garden today and set the camera to save simultaneously as RAW and JPG. opening the RAW up in Photoshop's Camera Raw plugin ( just double click on the file as the file type is automatically assigned when you install P-Shop ) it so simpel to really improve the image and you can then save straight to eited RAW, TIF or JPG without even oening up in photoshop. The JPGs I saved from the edited RAW file are much better than the camera saved JPGs.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

I tried opening them via the file menu in CS3, but it came up with a dialogue box wanting me to input the dimensions (like it couldn't work them out itself)? Which even though I was accurate in my measurements judging by the dimensions of the jpg files, it wouldn't let me go any further without inputting this data. I never tried double clicking the file. I'll try that next time.

Does this mean though that you have to do each picture one by one? I've been known to reel off 500+ pictures in a shoot.

Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

LektroiD wrote:I tried opening them via the file menu in CS3, but it came up with a dialogue box wanting me to input the dimensions (like it couldn't work them out itself)? Which even though I was accurate in my measurements judging by the dimensions of the jpg files, it wouldn't let me go any further without inputting this data. I never tried double clicking the file. I'll try that next time.

I'm not at home at the moment, but when I get home i'll look at the file menu. It works by dragging the dng file into photoshop window too though, I was doing that list night.

Does this mean though that you have to do each picture one by one? I've been known to reel off 500+ pictures in a shoot.[/quote]

I guess you'd treat it like traditional photography. i.e print a contact sheet and then blow up and edit the good shots. I like shooting billions to get one or two great shots. I've been deleting the real rubbish off the camera and once I've loaded the remaining shots onto t.he computer I only keep the RAWs for the really good shots. You should persevere and get RAWs working with CS3 though as it is worth it for the important shots

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

just found out ms Smeggy has CS3 on her laptop... so ..... I tried loading a RAW file from the file/open menu and it worked fine. What format are your RAWs ? Are they .dng ( Digital Negative) or a more propriety format?

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

I think I may have found the answer to the Photography workflow. Adobe Lightroom2.

It's a Library, Digital Developer ( includes Photoshop's Camera Raw for Raws but works with JPGs and TIFs ), Slideshow, Printing and Web Publishing system all in one.

All the editing is non destructive and once done you can export a collection of your favourite shots all tweaked and looking stunning to a separate location in a file format of your choice. You can create custom slideshows and not only show them on your 'puter' but export them to pdf files and also export galleries including all the html to the Tinternet.

So whether you shoot in JPGs or RAWs for your master copies Adobe Lightroom looks the bollocks. I downloaded a copy last night and spent about 4 hours learning it while I couldn't sleep.

I think I'm going to just shoot RAWs now, the quality of editing is much better than JPGs, and make 'collections' of the good shots to export as JPGs or TIFs for galleries.

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

I got my Pantone Huey Monitor calibrator this week. After calibrating one of monitors ( I use 2 x 21" CRT NEC diamondtron FE2111 jobs ) I think I need new monitors. The CRTS couldn't resolve the dark greys and black. I can only see upto 80% on the following grey scale pic. 85%,90%,95% and 100% all look black on my monitors

After calibrating I can see all steps but the disaply looks washed out, lack of contrast.

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

I've been really getting into Adobe Lightroom today. Starting to catalogue a lot of my older digital piccies. I'll import my 35mm film pics in as I scan them as well.

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

I dug out some old batch scripts for Corel Photopaint 8 today and modified them to convert images to bounded by a maximum width and height, plus adding a bit of sharpening. batch processing is much quicker than doing them all by hand!!

Plus Photopaint is an old proggie so it's really fast!! :thumb:

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

Got myself a 67mm Hoya Circular polarizing filter today for one my Vivitar lenses. From a brief play it's exceptionally useful. Really clears up skies for big fluffy clouds and distinct sunsets. And great for removing unwanted reflections when photographing still life's/portraits. I managed to completely remove the water drops when I Looked at a wet plate on the draining board earlier.

Cool!

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

I have a Hoya 62mm Pro1 Digital CPL filter. I rarely use the lens with the 62mm filter thread now, so I have to use an adaptor for it to fit my 67mm lens, which sometimes cuts the corners off on certain zoom lengths.

I'm looking for B+W filters from now on, I had a disaster while cleaning my Hoya, wiped off the entire top coating (the matt finish), so be careful with it!

Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

WAssup mate hope ya cool. :)

LektroiD wrote:I have a Hoya 62mm Pro1 Digital CPL filter. I rarely use the lens with the 62mm filter thread now, so I have to use an adaptor for it to fit my 67mm lens, which sometimes cuts the corners off on certain zoom lengths.

Vignetting! My trusty Vivitar 28-90 vignetted at 28mm on my old 35mm camera. Quite bad I notice as I'm scanning my old negs. I didn't notice so much on the old prints as they were cropped as much as 80%

I'm looking for B+W filters from now on, I had a disaster while cleaning my Hoya, wiped off the entire top coating (the matt finish), so be careful with it!
:eek:

I shall buy some kid gloves as soon as possible!! :)

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

Anyone still into film photography? been thinking about getting back into it for Black and white.

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

Although I recently purchased the Panasonic Lumix FZ38 and do indeed like it very much, I have also decided to get a DSLR. The FZ38 will still have a place (be very handy for work to have instant access to a good zoom) but I do want to get into DSLR photography proper.

As Smeggy knows, I've just ordered a Canon EOS 500D. Can't wait for it to arrive and to start learning about the world of DSLRs. :thumb:

Misanthropic Trucker
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:Anyone still into film photography? been thinking about getting back into it for Black and white.

I told you I do... still a 35 mm girl ...black and white most of the time but when its developed in the colour fluid it becomes a nice sepia .. :D

Get snapping annie :)

Posted on

No Chance wrote:Although I recently purchased the Panasonic Lumix FZ38 and do indeed like it very much, I have also decided to get a DSLR. The FZ38 will still have a place (be very handy for work to have instant access to a good zoom) but I do want to get into DSLR photography proper.

As Smeggy knows, I've just ordered a Canon EOS 500D. Can't wait for it to arrive and to start learning about the world of DSLRs. :thumb:

I flirted with the idea of DSLRs over 6 years ago. The cost then of a decent body and a couple of lenses would have been over £2000 if I remember correctly. And if I'd got them then they'd be well out of date now! :)

Prices have come down a lot since then so I may consider it again at some point, depending on circumstances. I like those smaller versions of DSLRs though - bit easier to carry around as well.

Though I have a feeling that if I did get all the kit then I'd play with it it for a month or two then slowly forget.

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

Nutter!!
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Posted on

diablo wrote:
No Chance wrote:Although I recently purchased the Panasonic Lumix FZ38 and do indeed like it very much, I have also decided to get a DSLR. The FZ38 will still have a place (be very handy for work to have instant access to a good zoom) but I do want to get into DSLR photography proper.

I flirted with the idea of DSLRs over 6 years ago. The cost then of a decent body and a couple of lenses would have been over £2000 if I remember correctly. And if I'd got them then they'd be well out of date now! :)

Prices have come down a lot since then so I may consider it again at some point, depending on circumstances. I like those smaller versions of DSLRs though - bit easier to carry around as well.

Though I have a feeling that if I did get all the kit then I'd play with it it for a month or two then slowly forget.

And you might not? :)

Decent camera equipment, especially the lenses hold their price. You could always sell it again if the novelty wore off. You only live once diabs :)

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

diablo wrote:I like those smaller versions of DSLRs though - bit easier to carry around as well.

The Panasonic Lumix G1 springs to mind there; I nearly bought one of those. It looks lovely. I do really love my FZ38 and particularly for work, it will be great for sudden moments where I need varying long zoom, but I want to get really serious and wanna see what a DSLR can do. The Canon I've ordered seems good. Got it from eBay; it comes with the Canon 18-55mm lens plus a couple of others thrown in but I do intend getting a 300/400mm or so lens for it.

Misanthropic Trucker

PreviousNext

Return to Lifestyle