Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Photography!!!

Fashion, Travel, Hobbies, Pursuits, Fetishes, etc, etc

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

No Chance wrote:
diablo wrote:I like those smaller versions of DSLRs though - bit easier to carry around as well.

The Panasonic Lumix G1 springs to mind there; I nearly bought one of those. It looks lovely. I do really love my FZ38 and particularly for work, it will be great for sudden moments where I need varying long zoom, but I want to get really serious and wanna see what a DSLR can do. The Canon I've ordered seems good. Got it from eBay; it comes with the Canon 18-55mm lens plus a couple of others thrown in but I do intend getting a 300/400mm or so lens for it.

Well I won't be nosey and ask how much you paid, but I may have a gander on there to see if I can spot any bargins. :):

I suppose Smeggy is right, if I leave any money to my fiends and relatives they will spend it much worse than I would. :D

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Posted on

diablo wrote:
No Chance wrote:
diablo wrote:I like those smaller versions of DSLRs though - bit easier to carry around as well.

The Panasonic Lumix G1 springs to mind there; I nearly bought one of those. It looks lovely. I do really love my FZ38 and particularly for work, it will be great for sudden moments where I need varying long zoom, but I want to get really serious and wanna see what a DSLR can do. The Canon I've ordered seems good. Got it from eBay; it comes with the Canon 18-55mm lens plus a couple of others thrown in but I do intend getting a 300/400mm or so lens for it.

Well I won't be nosey and ask how much you paid, but I may have a gander on there to see if I can spot any bargins. :):

I suppose Smeggy is right, if I leave any money to my fiends and relatives they will spend it much worse than I would. :D

If you can afford it mate enjoy life :). I've never been a reckless spender but when something excites me I go for it. :)

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

diablo wrote:Well I won't be nosey and ask how much you paid,

= how much did you pay? :spank: :D :pp:

I really don't mind saying. You can get them cheaper but I got it with a few other bits and pieces so I paid *checks* £589. I thought it was £560, for some reason; I was tired when I ordered it. :o

I have a few of the bits anyway, including a big tripod, BUT I wanted another anyway for the lorry so I can have one there and one here without carting the bugger around from here to work all the time in case I need it.

here's what I got.

I know I could have got it cheaper without the bits but I wanted another big tripod, spare battery, bag, LCD screen protector plus other stuff and couldn't be arsed shopping around for them. :o

Can't wait for it to arrive. :D
smeggypants wrote:If you can afford it mate enjoy life :). I've never been a reckless spender but when something excites me I go for it. :)

I am exactly the same, mate. I could go out and get killed in a huge crash on the M62. Savings won't be any use to me then. Live for the moment and have what you want. :thumb: Should that happen and I have a load of camera equipment, people are welcome to sell it should they need money for my funeral; I won't be here so it won't bother me. :o

Misanthropic Trucker

Posted on

Seems a good deal - says he fingering credit card. :)

Nah, will have a look round over Xmas and then decide - I like new toys but only buy cheap ones on impulse. :):

Nutter!!

Posted on

diablo wrote:Seems a good deal - says he fingering credit card. :)

Nah, will have a look round over Xmas and then decide - I like new toys but only buy cheap ones on impulse. :):

Are you a Canon chappy then?

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

Am I a Canon chappy? Well I like firing my black pudding loaded cannons at Yorkies :D , but apart from that, who knows.??

I was talking to a bloke last year who wouldn't touch anything other than Nikon, he had a 20kg bag full of the stuff at the time which he was taking up to the lakes.

My only real guide is photo mags and websites. I haven't looked seriously at DSLRs to compare price versus quality for quite a while.

Nutter!!

Posted on

diablo wrote:Well I like firing my black pudding loaded cannons at Yorkies :D

Piss off you Lancashire ne'er-do-well. :x :stomp: At least we have proper bloody fishcakes! :stomp:

;) :pp: :D :yippee:

My guide is magazines, reviews and user opinions. If they seem okay I just jump in and take a chance.

Misanthropic Trucker

Posted on

I can't even remember why I bought Pentax. My first camera was a Ricoh KR-5 which is Pentax K mount. When it came to upgrade I jsut really fancied a Pentax SFX and my ricoh lense could fit on it. I bought a Pentax DSLR cos my old pentax mount lenses would fit on it. Takes great pictures. I'm not a camera snob though and have nothing against other makes

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

I thought this would be a wise purchase. :o

Misanthropic Trucker

Posted on

No Chance wrote:
diablo wrote:Well I like firing my black pudding loaded cannons at Yorkies :D

Piss off you Lancashire ne'er-do-well. :x :stomp: At least we have proper bloody fishcakes! :stomp:

;) :pp: :D :yippee:

My guide is magazines, reviews and user opinions. If they seem okay I just jump in and take a chance.

You do indeed. Although so does Thailand!!! :yippee: :hubba: :thumb: :jig:

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

Just been watching a review of the EOS 500D...

I'm getting seriously excited about it arriving now. :o The video mode looks stunning; I love the look of the computer control of it as well. I didn't even know it could do that. The whole thing looks great and I can't wait to start experimenting with it. :elephant: :hello: :yippee:

Misanthropic Trucker

Posted on

So when are you expecting it?

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

Should arrive within the next couple of days, I hope. I'll take it to town on Saturday and get some daytime shots to post.

Misanthropic Trucker

Posted on

I cannot even begin to put into words how bloody good this Canon is. It's awesomeness. Brilliant brilliant brilliant.

I'll have some pics up by the end of the weekend. :thumb:

Misanthropic Trucker

Posted on

Well done Sir No Chance!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:Well done Sir No Chance!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cheers, Smegs! It really is a great bit of kit. I love it already. I'll also at the weekend give the video a go in town, of the wheel and will upload that to YouTube and post it.

I love this camera. :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee:

Misanthropic Trucker

Posted on

LordNibbler has a Canon. He takes some great pics!!

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

I just bagged myself one of these off Ebay for £67

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-L310W-Digital-Camera-Optical/dp/B001EJO71O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1260658259&sr=8-1

SAMSUNG L310W

My mum has one, and I've spent quiet a bit of time with it. The pictures ain't as sharp as my DSLR but I wanted a compact camera for situations where carrying about a huge DSLR is either impractical or too intimidating.

This Samsung has a very decent battery life and is responsive in that it's very quick to whip it out of your pocket and snap to capture the moment.

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

That looks cool, Smegs. :yippee:

I've got one of these that I've had for a while...

... and it's a nifty little compact.

I can see how people feel intimidated by the presence of a huge DSLR, especially round town and places like that when the majority of people pull out compacts and then someone whips out a DSLR. It is a bit of a 'woah...' moment!

We've just been given new mobiles at work; I forget the model number now but it's a Nokia and has a 3.2MP camera. Only experimented with it briefly; it's not bad as far as cameraphones go but it's a piss about to get to the function, having to go into menu and activate the camera that way and that's before you go into any options like turning the flash on and off. Not very good for spontaneous, opportunist shots!

My first question when we were told about the new phones was "has it got a camera?" :o

Misanthropic Trucker

Posted on

My dad is getting this for Christmas
The Nikon D3000
Why he needs it though is beyond my imagination as he can barely operate a normal camera!

Sweetheart
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

PreviousNext

Return to Lifestyle