Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Mending clothes

Fashion, Travel, Hobbies, Pursuits, Fetishes, etc, etc

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Just noticed today that my favourite pair of jeans has developed a small worn frayed area on the front right thigh. I think it's probably due to me keeping my keys in the right pocket, and that has gradually worned the overlying area of denim.

So there's now a small white patch (the exterior blue denim threads have worn away, leaving the thin layer of white horizontal cotton threads).

I'd like to mend it - by darning/weaving new blue cotton threads into the remaining white threads? I think.

Any sewing experts out there to give me an idea of how best to tackle the problem?

It's my favourite pair of jeans because the cut is great and it's expensive to replace. I know frayed areas/holes are trendy, but I don't want it to develop into a hole that is going to get bigger.

Thanks if anyone can help with darning tips :o :):

Super Smegster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia

Posted on

You could take them to a traditional clothes alteration place/seamstress and ask for them to do an Invisible Mend.

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

MILF

Posted on

Thanks Whirlie. I suppose as a last resort I could take it to a pro... gonna cost a bit though I imagine.

Just did a bit of research... apparently the horizontal white threads, that I am left with, is called the "weft" yarn. The vertical blue threads of the denim is the "warp" yarn - and that is what has frayed away.

I think I'll visit a sewing shop and see if they sell blue denim threads... I am sure I can weave it into the weft.

They didn't teach this stuff in Home Economics at school. Or darning/weaving skills :o

Super Smegster

Posted on

It wont cost much - £10 I'd think.

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

MILF

Posted on

I borrowed my sister's "The Complete Guide to Sewing". This book weighs a ton... It's like the sewing equivalent of those encyclopaedic DIY books :eek4:

I now know that not all needles are the same, not all threads are the same, and what "twill weave" (as for denim) actually means. :D

Super Smegster

Posted on

go to a seamstress!!!

MILF

Posted on

I will but I can't until at least Saturday. It's hanging on the clothes line at the moment :o

Super Smegster

Posted on

Alternatively you can patch it. Any of these take your fancy? :D

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

No thanks, patches are for girls jeans :o :pp:

Super Smegster

Posted on

whimsical oracle wrote:No thanks, patches are for girls jeans :o :pp:

:eek4: I specifically sourced some boy ones for you!..... Dr Who, He-man masters of the universe, Superman and Star wars! :mad1:

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

Fuzzy Warbles wrote: :eek4: I specifically sourced some boy ones for you!..... Dr Who, He-man masters of the universe, Superman and Star wars! :mad1:

You want me to lose my street cred? :eek4:

Oh wait.. Star Wars...hmmm :chin:

Super Smegster

Return to Lifestyle