Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Are you a hi-fi nut like me ??

Fashion, Travel, Hobbies, Pursuits, Fetishes, etc, etc

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

diablo wrote:
smeggypants wrote:
It'll really impriove things when that goes up :). hang it below the ceiling ( 4" or more ) rather than touching the ceilng. There's no air vibrating at a surface boundary so nothing to absorb.

I could make it dual-purpose - put it on pulleys and fix some dowel underneath to dry clothes on. :rofl:

And why not!! :) :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

Played around with the speakers as planned and got some fairly good results. The Anthem ARC system lets you select one particular speaker and plays a sweep frequency through until you tell it to stop. You can move the microphone around during the test of course. It continuously updates the graph of the frequency response in relation to the room.

The centre speaker was giving me most concern because of a wide dip at around 100Hz which the ARC system couldn't correct properly -

Of course you can't mov the centre speaker very much right or left but I found that by moving it 3 inches back it improved things a bit -

- plus the ARC has levelled off the area around 1000Hz now.

Now I get the idea that you frown heavily when you hear talk about electronic room correction systems - but it has allowed me to get the uncorrected response better (that's the red line).

Of course improving the room would be helpful too - unless I plonked the speakers in the wrong place !

The surrounds are much better too since being moved around. :D

Might take a trip to some builders merchants next week to see about rockwool and rockfon. :)

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Posted on

Clarity is a huge factor in getting a great sound, and adjusting the response can't help with that as clarity is cured by getting rid of early reflections and damping room resonances. A flatter response is a side effect of doing those two things.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Previous

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Lifestyle