Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Are you a hi-fi nut like me ??

Fashion, Travel, Hobbies, Pursuits, Fetishes, etc, etc

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

i'm happy enough with my 6 , not too pokey , but there again they do the job :)

Trying is the first step towards failure...Homer Simpson
"Ahhhhhh bollox.... whats the point "... Me :D
I would like to thank the MOD for all of their support over the years ...thanks for fuck all :fingers:
do whaaaaaa ? :tizzles:

User avatar
It's all bollocks!
Posts: 47305
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:33 am
Location: Sunny, scintillating Blackpool . Riiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhtttttt
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: FUCKIN' FUCKITTY BOLLOCKS !!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

I just have two, but very pokey :)

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 121101
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

smeggypants wrote:I just have two, but very pokey :)

lucky sod :rofl:

Trying is the first step towards failure...Homer Simpson
"Ahhhhhh bollox.... whats the point "... Me :D
I would like to thank the MOD for all of their support over the years ...thanks for fuck all :fingers:
do whaaaaaa ? :tizzles:

User avatar
It's all bollocks!
Posts: 47305
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:33 am
Location: Sunny, scintillating Blackpool . Riiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhtttttt
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: FUCKIN' FUCKITTY BOLLOCKS !!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Might get one of these -

Image
- at 15% off due to a PM from a firm in response to a forum thread.


Looks nicer than most and has more genuine watts than you can shake a stick at. Though need a degree in electronics to read the manual it seems. :)

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

User avatar
Nutter!!
Posts: 9732
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:42 am
Location: Fylde Coast
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

I've just ordered a Rega MM cartridge, does that qualify?

paint your wagons and burn your banker, coz the twisted circus is coming to town and there ain't no safety net under the high wire.

- Larry Love.

User avatar
Smegster
Posts: 2655
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:21 pm
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: Puckish

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Swing wrote:I've just ordered a Rega MM cartridge, does that qualify?


Oh I reckon so. I haven't enough LPs worth playing to justify dusting off my old record decks, let alone buying decent cartridges. :)

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

User avatar
Nutter!!
Posts: 9732
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:42 am
Location: Fylde Coast
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

I've got loads of vinyl in the loft. Found a turntable in the spare room yesterday. I'll have to get digitising one day :)

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 121101
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

smeggypants wrote:I've got loads of vinyl in the loft. Found a turntable in the spare room yesterday. I'll have to get digitising one day :)


Converted a fair amount of Vinyl to CD. Can't say I'm delighted by the results compared to the original Vinyl though.

paint your wagons and burn your banker, coz the twisted circus is coming to town and there ain't no safety net under the high wire.

- Larry Love.

User avatar
Smegster
Posts: 2655
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:21 pm
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: Puckish

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Swing wrote:
smeggypants wrote:I've got loads of vinyl in the loft. Found a turntable in the spare room yesterday. I'll have to get digitising one day :)


Converted a fair amount of Vinyl to CD. Can't say I'm delighted by the results compared to the original Vinyl though.


The digitisation should be capturing the sound of the vinyl. Maybe the AD convertors are adding something undesirable. ??

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 121101
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

smeggypants wrote:
Swing wrote:
smeggypants wrote:I've got loads of vinyl in the loft. Found a turntable in the spare room yesterday. I'll have to get digitising one day :)


Converted a fair amount of Vinyl to CD. Can't say I'm delighted by the results compared to the original Vinyl though.


The digitisation should be capturing the sound of the vinyl. Maybe the AD convertors are adding something undesirable. ??


I tried converting some LPs a few years ago, maybe it was a duff A/D converter in my sound card at the time but they didn't come out too well - didn't keep them.

Though I have the same version of Elgar's Dream of Gerontius, i.e. from the same master tape - and the vinyl version is much better than the remastered CD version from the same record label.

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

User avatar
Nutter!!
Posts: 9732
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:42 am
Location: Fylde Coast
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Just went upstairs to check on the Elgar - then remembered I'd decided a couple of years ago that I'd never play vinyl again, so took them all to charity shops. :) Now whether that was a good idea or not . . . it is done.

I think I can safely take my two old record decks to the tip to save some more space.

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

User avatar
Nutter!!
Posts: 9732
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:42 am
Location: Fylde Coast
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

I'ev got an RIAA input on my Studio Big Knob...

Image


Image

I might hook my deck up later and play something out of the loft :)

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 121101
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

I've never had a big knob. :oops:

Changed my mind about the shiny, nice looking Pioneer with 1 billion features, reading the threads on AVForum about the immediate predecessors it seems they ain't too reliable. So it is back to the ugly Anthem I think.

Just ordered a cable to connect it to a laptop. I'll have to ring the dealer in Carlisle tomorrow to order the actual AV amp.

I'll be interested how you get on with digitising vinyl. :)

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

User avatar
Nutter!!
Posts: 9732
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:42 am
Location: Fylde Coast
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

diablo wrote:I've never had a big knob. :oops:

Changed my mind about the shiny, nice looking Pioneer with 1 billion features, reading the threads on AVForum about the immediate predecessors it seems they ain't too reliable. So it is back to the ugly Anthem I think.

Just ordered a cable to connect it to a laptop. I'll have to ring the dealer in Carlisle tomorrow to order the actual AV amp.

I'll be interested how you get on with digitising vinyl. :)


So am I :) - The turntable I have isn't the best thing in the world, but I do have a decent set of AD convertors .... Apogee Trak 2


Image

Don't let me forget to try it :)

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 121101
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

smeggypants wrote:The turntable I have isn't the best thing in the world, but I do have a decent set of AD convertors .... Apogee Trak 2

Don't let me forget to try it :)


Just rung up to order my Anthem MRX300. Probably arrive next week.

Did yer dig yer turntable out yet Smegs ? :)

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

User avatar
Nutter!!
Posts: 9732
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:42 am
Location: Fylde Coast
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

diablo wrote:Changed my mind about the shiny, nice looking Pioneer with 1 billion features, reading the threads on AVForum about the immediate predecessors it seems they ain't too reliable. So it is back to the ugly Anthem I think.



Do you honestly believe the reviews on that site haven't got something to do with the competitors ?

The best facial is a daily facial.

User avatar
Insane Poster
Posts: 27820
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:40 pm
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: unknown

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Channel Hopper wrote:
diablo wrote:Changed my mind about the shiny, nice looking Pioneer with 1 billion features, reading the threads on AVForum about the immediate predecessors it seems they ain't too reliable. So it is back to the ugly Anthem I think.



Do you honestly believe the reviews on that site haven't got something to do with the competitors ?


There are hundreds of posts on the Pioneer LX75/85 (similar model) thread. I don't think they are all made up by competitors. Users buy them, maybe think they are great - and then they go wrong. Or they hear an Onkyo and decide it sounds much better.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/av-ampli ... hread.html

If you read the Arcam threads on there most owners think they sound good but keep breaking down.

If I were either of those two makers then maybe I'd invert plenty of users who said theirs was fault free for years. :)

The Anthem threads have very few hardware faults ( though have had a few firmware issues since launch).

Or maybe I'm not being cynical enough? :confused: :(

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

User avatar
Nutter!!
Posts: 9732
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:42 am
Location: Fylde Coast
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

diablo wrote:
smeggypants wrote:The turntable I have isn't the best thing in the world, but I do have a decent set of AD convertors .... Apogee Trak 2

Don't let me forget to try it :)


Just rung up to order my Anthem MRX300. Probably arrive next week.

Did yer dig yer turntable out yet Smegs ? :)


not yet. I'll go and get it now :)

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 121101
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Hooked it up - It's pioneer PL-400 - it appears to work. I touched the needle and there's sound. Hurrah!!! :yippee: Better go and get a record or two from the loft :)

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 121101
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

We have sound!!!!

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 121101
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

PreviousNext

Return to Lifestyle

Similar topics

  • Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
    Top of Page

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests