Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

The Art of Travel

Fashion, Travel, Hobbies, Pursuits, Fetishes, etc, etc

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

I recommend this book by Alain de Botton. It's a great read - really thought provoking - gives you a whole new perspective about travel and how to get the most out of it (as in travel broadening your mind).

It seems to me a bit of a wasted travel experience to (eg) go on a package holiday at a Spanish resort within an enclosed holiday complex among loads of other Brits. Just playing tennis, in the pool, eating out at a tapas bar, getting pished on alcohol. You could do that at home.

(p.s. I don't mean to insult anyone who has taken a holiday like that, just raising a point for debate)

Super Smegster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia

Posted on

I really wish I had the time and freedom to go travelling. When I was younger I went to interesting places ( I was in Poland during communism and in Israel the week the first intifada began)

recently however, its the Canaries (particularly Lanzarote which is actually a beautiful, interesting place, with strict rules about no high rise developments, no roadside billboards and loads of interesting Cesar Manrique sights and otdoor kinetic sculptures)...cheap, short flights, sunshine in winter...but I really dislike the "traditional tourist" resorts

However more latterly I cant even afford any holiday abroad, and so if someone said - here's a package deal to Las Americas (tenerife) I 'd say thankyou very much , and go!

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

MILF

Posted on

whimsical oracle wrote:I recommend this book by Alain de Botton. It's a great read - really thought provoking - gives you a whole new perspective about travel and how to get the most out of it (as in travel broadening your mind).

It seems to me a bit of a wasted travel experience to (eg) go on a package holiday at a Spanish resort within an enclosed holiday complex among loads of other Brits. Just playing tennis, in the pool, eating out at a tapas bar, getting pished on alcohol. You could do that at home.

(p.s. I don't mean to insult anyone who has taken a holiday like that, just raising a point for debate)

I quite agree, I think half the fun of going abroad is to sample local food. I think even the all included holidays wouldn't suit me as I like to go to different places to eat and I think I would go stir crazy spending a week or two just in a resort with all the same people, none of whom would be locals I presume. I know this suits some people but for me it would be purgatory.

Getting into it now!
How Hot Are You?: Scorchio!

Return to Lifestyle