Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Stephen Hawking reckons Aliens will be nasty!

Into science? Chat about its amazing wonders here. E really does equal MC^2 -> Einstein would be proud!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Stephen Hawking reckons Aliens will be nasty!

Remember to read the following article in a computer voice :D

Heeven Stalking
Aliens almost certainly exist but humans should avoid making contact, Professor Stephen Hawking has warned.

In a series for the Discovery Channel the renowned astrophysicist said it was "perfectly rational" to assume intelligent life exists elsewhere.

But he warned that aliens might simply raid Earth for resources, then move on.

"If aliens visit us, the outcome would be much as when Columbus landed in America, which didn't turn out well for the Native Americans," he said.

Prof Hawking thinks that, rather than actively trying to communicate with extra-terrestrials, humans should do everything possible to avoid contact.

He explained: "We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet."

In the past probes have been sent into space with engravings of human on board and diagrams showing the location of our planet.

Radio beams have been fired into space in the hope of reaching alien civilisations.

Prof Hawking said: "To my mathematical brain, the numbers alone make thinking about aliens perfectly rational.

"The real challenge is to work out what aliens might actually be like."

The programme envisages numerous alien species including two-legged herbivores and yellow, lizard-like predators.

But Prof Hawking conceded most life elsewhere in the universe is likely to consist of simple microbes.

In the recent BBC series Wonders of the Solar System, Professor Brian Cox, a physicist from the University of Manchester, also suggested life may exist elsewhere within our solar system.

He said organisms could be present under the ice sheet that envelops Europa, one of Jupiter's moons.

Professor Cox added: "Closer to home, the evidence that life could exist on Mars is growing.

"We will only know for sure when the next generation of spacecraft, fine-tuned to search for life, are launched to the moons of Jupiter and the arid plains of Mars in the coming decades."

Article Source

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

He is right, but for the wrong reasons.

Aliens meeting up with anyone currently from Earth that has the ability to launch into space would be introduced to the most hostile species this planet has to offer. If anything humans should be sending out transmissions showing mice, or maybe snails, and waiting for the responses before deciding if the newcomers are hostile plunderers or not.

I think Hawking may have watched Independence Day once too often.

The best facial is a daily facial.

Insane Poster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: unknown

Posted on

Judging by what I've seen on this planet, the aliens are in more danger from humans. If humans are always horrible to someone from a foreign nation - just imagine how badly the poor alien will get it from humanity.

If you aren't willing to stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Lex iniusta non est lex

Grand Master
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: Snarky

Posted on

Gunner 51 wrote:Judging by what I've seen on this planet, the aliens are in more danger from humans. If humans are always horrible to someone from a foreign nation - just imagine how badly the poor alien will get it from humanity.

If they can get here they'll probably have us out gunned by a long way. Saying that I guess it's possible they don't understand about violence, so don't protect against it. Either way if they've made it to earth they will be able to clear off again pretty quickly, probably at many times the speed of light.

Complete Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

Resonance wrote:
Gunner 51 wrote:Judging by what I've seen on this planet, the aliens are in more danger from humans. If humans are always horrible to someone from a foreign nation - just imagine how badly the poor alien will get it from humanity.

If they can get here they'll probably have us out gunned by a long way. Saying that I guess it's possible they don't understand about violence, so don't protect against it. Either way if they've made it to earth they will be able to clear off again pretty quickly, probably at many times the speed of light.

I'm just imagining some Norah Batty type fishwife with a broom shouting at them going "shoo shoo - Clear orffff you aliens!!" :) :hyenas:

On a serious note i think it's entirely possible that the same oligarchal power greed would evolve in an alien species as it has in humans. After all the power greed is about the law of survival.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:
Resonance wrote:

I'm just imagining some Norah Batty type fishwife with a broom shouting at them going "shoo shoo - Clear orffff you aliens!!" :) :hyenas:

On a serious note i think it's entirely possible that the same oligarchal power greed would evolve in an alien species as it has in humans. After all the power greed is about the law of survival.

I can imagine that, Smeggy. But as Resonance said, if they have the kind of technology to come to Earth - then they probably have the technology to scarper bloody quickly, or even wipe all life on the planet.

Though there was a line in the Furturama episode Roswell That Ends Well which would really sum up a human government's attitude toward aliens. "If you come in war, we surrender. If you come in peace, we will enslave you."

This woman means BUSINESS!

If you aren't willing to stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Lex iniusta non est lex

Grand Master
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: Snarky

Posted on

Islam in the Middle East needs Norah Batty. :rofl:

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to General Science