Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Is this for real or a crock?

Into science? Chat about its amazing wonders here. E really does equal MC^2 -> Einstein would be proud!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Planets and Atmospheres: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter4
The Dome of Clement: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter2#
Minimal Cheese available at http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter

Grand Master

Posted on

that circuit looks like a voltage mutiplier. they use a version with more steps to make ionisers and electric fences.

Watt ( pertinent pun ) that video is showing, if the antenna wire isn't connect to a voltage source is probably and electric charge in the air being voltage multiplied.

Problem is it's only voltage. the amount of current is bugger all. to get anything beneficial you need free 'power' not free voltage.

Verdict: misleading, unless I'm missing sonmething :)

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

Why did i read the thread title as "Is this a real or dead cock?" :rofl:

I was bored and decided to update my signature but i couldnt think of anything to put, so i decided to just put Bollocks!

Irritating the humorless since 1973

Complete Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: Sexy as fuck!

Posted on

Mr Squirrel wrote:Why did i read the thread title as "Is this a real or dead cock?" :rofl:

Freudian slip :rofl: :rofl:

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

Probably lives under power lines

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXhZvyGt ... re=related

If you make/utilise an antenna (or stick anything in the air) you can blag power.

The best facial is a daily facial.

Insane Poster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: unknown

Posted on

Going to breadboard this as soon as I get hold of some 1n34's. I know those diodes can pick up and generate power from radio waves, as they are used in basic crystal radios (which require no batteries, yet power a simple earpiece).

However, I have a feeling it might produce a few volts, but I doubt there will be enough current there to even light an LED.

I'll post the results once I get the parts, but not holding my breath.

Crystal Radio (using a germanium diode)

Loves Smeggy's
Current Mood: Electric!

Posted on

You'll be able to pick up Hilversum and the Voice Of America! :thumb:

My dad made a crystal set in the 1930s [ :eek: - that is so long ago!!! ]

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:You'll be able to pick up Hilversum and the Voice Of America! :thumb:

First circuit I ever built, aged 9 (still building gear now).

In the '30s, it would likely have used a "cat's whisker" detector, the germanium diode was a later substitute.

Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

Richie wrote:
smeggypants wrote:You'll be able to pick up Hilversum and the Voice Of America! :thumb:

In the '30s, it would likely have used a "cat's whisker" detector, the germanium diode was a later substitute.

Ahh Cats whisker, that rings a bell. :thumb:

Btw, Zapaxe was on about getting free power from the telephone line a while ago. I think you can get a few milliamps to charge up batteries :)

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:
Richie wrote:

Btw, Zapaxe was on about getting free power from the telephone line a while ago. I think you can get a few milliamps to charge up batteries :)

I remember reading something about voltage that is sent through the telephone cables, for some reason 48V springs to mind, and I'm not sure how far out of the exchange this voltage continues. It was back in the '80s when I read this, so things may well have changed. In any case, it would be enough to power a studio mic, although I wouldn't be keen to fire up a brand new U87 off it, not without putting it through a room full of capacitors anyway.

Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

Richie wrote:
smeggypants wrote:
Richie wrote:

I remember reading something about voltage that is sent through the telephone cables, for some reason 48V springs to mind, and I'm not sure how far out of the exchange this voltage continues. It was back in the '80s when I read this, so things may well have changed. In any case, it would be enough to power a studio mic, although I wouldn't be keen to fire up a brand new U87 off it, not without putting it through a room full of capacitors anyway.

I think the nominal voltage on the line is indeed 48V. It's that high to cope with the higher restistences of miles of coper wire.

The same reason the mains voltage is stepped up to 400,000V in overhead cables ( pylon job ). As well as needing much lighter cables for the same power, there's a lot less voltage drop with less current ( V=IR )

The load ( telephone ) will also drop the voltage as that increases current flow as it uses leccy.

The voltage, apart from powering the phone, is also there as an indicator of the state of the line. Voltage drops when off the hook amd much higher when it's ringing

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

Richie wrote:

When I started building stuff, the cats whisker was a piece of coke and the head of a picture frame nail pushed onto the surface.

Combining the two pieces of technology together though, the finger stop tab of an old style phone could be used as the antenna connection, since the internal circuitry meant there was no direct path to earth.

The best facial is a daily facial.

Insane Poster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: unknown

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to General Science