Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Wasp nest

Into science? Chat about its amazing wonders here. E really does equal MC^2 -> Einstein would be proud!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Last summer I noticed a large number of wasps going in and out of a gap under the tiles of a lean-to attached to my garage. I discovered that there was a wasp nest inside.

I just left it there as the wasps didn't seem to attack me.

Then today I decided I'd lever it out and examine it, though when I touched it with a screwdriver it just disintegrated.

You can see a bit of a honey-comb like structure in the middle of the papery flakes. It is almost as if it was made of papier mache.

What a brilliant temporary structure. Nature never ceases to amaze me. :)

http://www.wasp-removal.com/wasp-lifecycle.php

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Posted on

Normally, I feckin hate wasps but towards the end of last summer I happened upon 2 or 3 really struggling, like they'd forgotten how to fly. I figured they'd overdone the pollen so I scooped em up on a piece of card and put them near some plants so they could recover and take off later on. One, I nicknamed Nigel, was still where I left him the day before so I put down some coffee (with sugar in it) so he could have a slurp and get the energy he needed to get back to his nest. Alas, the next day he was still there so I gave him another coffee and encouraged him to go in the direction of his nest. Last time I saw him, he was heading that way. Hope the little fella made it. Normally, I'd have just trodden on him :)

Planets and Atmospheres: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter4
The Dome of Clement: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter2#
Minimal Cheese available at http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter

Grand Master

Posted on

Strange man giving coffee to a wasp. Wonder what the neighbours said. :rofl: :thumb: :)

Sit on my Facebook!

Posted on

It was at work, I had to leave a little pool of coffee. Presume the little fella had a slurp :)

Planets and Atmospheres: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter4
The Dome of Clement: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter2#
Minimal Cheese available at http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter

Grand Master

Posted on

phild05 wrote:Normally, I feckin hate wasps but towards the end of last summer I happened upon 2 or 3 really struggling, like they'd forgotten how to fly. I figured they'd overdone the pollen so I scooped em up on a piece of card and put them near some plants so they could recover and take off later on. One, I nicknamed Nigel, was still where I left him the day before so I put down some coffee (with sugar in it) so he could have a slurp and get the energy he needed to get back to his nest. Alas, the next day he was still there so I gave him another coffee and encouraged him to go in the direction of his nest. Last time I saw him, he was heading that way. Hope the little fella made it. Normally, I'd have just trodden on him :)

:rofl: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

diabs , a wasps nest is a paper like substance . wasps chew up bits of wood to make the nest :)

Trying is the first step towards failure...Homer Simpson
"Ahhhhhh bollox.... whats the point "... Me :D
I would like to thank the MOD for all of their support over the years ...thanks for fuck all :fingers:
do whaaaaaa ? :tizzles:

It's all bollocks!
Location: Sunny, scintillating Blackpool . Riiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhtttttt
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: FUCKIN' FUCKITTY BOLLOCKS !!!

Posted on

wotsit2 wrote:diabs , a wasps nest is a paper like substance . wasps chew up bits of wood to make the nest :)

Sounds like the manufacture of "breakfast" Cereals" :rofl:

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:
wotsit2 wrote:diabs , a wasps nest is a paper like substance . wasps chew up bits of wood to make the nest :)

Sounds like the manufacture of "breakfast" Cereals" :rofl:

:rofl:

I would like to thank the MOD for all of their support over the years ...thanks for fuck all :fingers:

It's all bollocks!

Posted on

When I was a child , we were playing hide and seek with a group of mates , one of them I didn't really like, alway giggle to myself for years after , fatty Sean went to hid between a hedge and wooded fence , I watch him climbing over the fence , but knowingly know there was a wasp nest there , about minute latter he come running out covered in bees , he was running around like a lunatic , screaming and flapping his arms around , I was killing myself laughing , we never did get on

Loves The place!

Posted on

Market wrote:When I was a child , we were playing hide and seek with a group of mates , one of them I didn't really like, alway giggle to myself for years after , fatty Sean went to hid between a hedge and wooded fence , I watch him climbing over the fence , but knowingly know there was a wasp nest there , about minute latter he come running out covered in bees , he was running around like a lunatic , screaming and flapping his arms around , I was killing myself laughing , we never did get on

:confused: bees or wasps? Bees I doubt wasps probably.

:maddy: Image

Forum Slapper Lush
How Hot Are You?: Centre Of The Sun
Current Mood: Eff it.

Posted on

Dolls wrote:
Market wrote:When I was a child , we were playing hide and seek with a group of mates , one of them I didn't really like, alway giggle to myself for years after , fatty Sean went to hid between a hedge and wooded fence , I watch him climbing over the fence , but knowingly know there was a wasp nest there , about minute latter he come running out covered in bees , he was running around like a lunatic , screaming and flapping his arms around , I was killing myself laughing , we never did get on

Can't remember bee or wasps it was so long ago,, but it made my day all those years ago

Loves The place!

Posted on

Market wrote:
Dolls wrote:

Can't remember bee or wasps it was so long ago,, but it made my day all those years ago

:confused: there is a hell of a difference between the two! Bees will not sting only if they feel they are being attacked! Like a single bee their life is their sting,they die when they sting. Wasps don't.

I've had a bee in the house huge fluffy boy,I got him in my hand ' talked to him' he was sitting on my hand and opened window he got away.Wasps nahhh.

Forum Slapper Lush

Posted on

Dolls wrote:
Market wrote:
Dolls wrote:

:confused: there is a hell of a difference between the two! Bees will not sting only if they feel they are being attacked! Like a single bee their life is their sting,they die when they sting. Wasps don't.

I've had a bee in the house huge fluffy boy,I got him in my hand ' talked to him' he was sitting on my hand and opened window he got away.Wasps nahhh.

Over the years done a lot of trees with bees or wasp nest , mainly bees , wasp are more aggressive of the two , especially late summer, at work we have a tree nursery and have bee hives , for the bee to help pollination our fruit trees , it's a old retire chap that looks after the hives , he sale the honey for bit more pocket money plus it's a hubby, and it help us out too ,

Loves The place!

Posted on

Wasps don't sting this month

Loves The place!

Posted on

Or bees come to think about it

Loves The place!

Posted on

If you make a wasp trap, put a drop of vinegar in it to avoid trapping bees. Speaking of which, it's almost a shame this turned out to be a hoax http://www.snopes.com/media/notnews/hornetsnest.asp

Let them eat rich, expensive, funny-shaped, yellow, eggy buns.

Really Loves Smeggy's
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: unplugged

Posted on

Bunny wrote:If you make a wasp trap, put a drop of vinegar in it to avoid trapping bees. Speaking of which, it's almost a shame this turned out to be a hoax http://www.snopes.com/media/notnews/hornetsnest.asp

:eek: :eek:

Forum Slapper Lush

Posted on

Bunny wrote:If you make a wasp trap, put a drop of vinegar in it to avoid trapping bees. Speaking of which, it's almost a shame this turned out to be a hoax http://www.snopes.com/media/notnews/hornetsnest.asp

:howl:

It's all bollocks!

Posted on

One way to get your cock to swell way beyond its original size I guess :eek: :D

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

People do confuse wasp and bees ‘nests’.

Cymag is the stuff which does a good job on wsps but it is on licence only.

People report wasp nests in their brickwork and it usually turns out they are ‘masonry bees’.

Poke steel wool onto holes and they cannot get out.

THERE ARE NONE SO BLIND AS THOSE WHO WILL NOT SEE.
LOOK AFTER OUR OWN FIRST

Super Smegster
Current Mood: Tetchy, Moving House

Next

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to General Science