Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Maps detail Universe's ancient light

Into science? Chat about its amazing wonders here. E really does equal MC^2 -> Einstein would be proud!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Maps detail Universe's ancient light

Cool ( excuse the pun :) ) article. :thumb:

A spectacular new map of the "oldest light" in the sky has just been released by the European Space Agency.

Scientists say its mottled pattern is an exquisite confirmation of our Big-Bang model for the origin and evolution of the Universe.

But there are features in the picture, they add, that are unexpected and will require ideas to be refined.

The map was assembled from 15 months' worth of data acquired by the 600m-euro (£515m) Planck space telescope.

Article continues here ...

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

Interesting. Thought they were moving away from the big bang model? Or some scientists at least.

Complete Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

I want to know what happened before the big bang :)

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:I want to know what happened before the big bang :)

The big nothing of course. :)

Sit on my Facebook!

Posted on

There was no before. Time didn't exist, or so they say :shrug:

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

Resonance wrote:

Not true, the Zermelo–Fraenkel set theory (with the axiom of choice), or ZFC has been tested over years and so far has withstood all checks. Time would have been fuctioning before, during and after any event, though there would be nobody around to confirm whether it ran at the same speed as today's version.

The best facial is a daily facial.

Insane Poster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: unknown

Posted on

Channel Hopper wrote:
Resonance wrote:

Not true, the Zermelo–Fraenkel set theory (with the axiom of choice), or ZFC has been tested over years and so far has withstood all checks. Time would have been fuctioning before, during and after any event, though there would be nobody around to confirm whether it ran at the same speed as today's version.

today's version runs at different speeds for different observers.

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:today's version runs at different speeds for different observers.

Not actually true, you are confusing perception from actual observation. Distance plays some part in time, so a viewer a few tens/thousands/millions/billion miles from an event will 'see' something that would be different from a person nearby , but apart from the viewing from a deep gravity well, there is no difference in the final result.

Insane Poster

Posted on

Channel Hopper wrote:
smeggypants wrote:today's version runs at different speeds for different observers.

Not actually true, you are confusing perception from actual observation. Distance plays some part in time, so a viewer a few tens/thousands/millions/billion miles from an event will 'see' something that would be different from a person nearby , but apart from the viewing from a deep gravity well, there is no difference in the final result.

OK, but it certainly runs at different speeds depending on the velocity of the observer. This discovery by Einstein has been proven in practice

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:
Channel Hopper wrote:

OK, but it certainly runs at different speeds depending on the velocity of the observer. This discovery by Einstein has been proven in practice

Yes, don't the GPS satellites have to have their clocks adjusted quite regularly for just that reason?

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:
Channel Hopper wrote:

Not true, it is the distance (and velocity) travelled by an object away from a large mass that is the cause of the change in time

On the shuttle (and GPS satellites) for example, both objects have are travelling around the earth, however neither actually moves away from the host planet since they are in orbit, therefore the true velocity is actually zero (give or take the orbital radius and ignoring orbital velocity - something different).

Crafts like Mariner and Voyager however are travelling away from the planet and the centre of the solar system, with their apparent youth calculated back on earth. Nobody is likely to find out whether the parts on the craft are younger than their counterparts back home, though experiments done here ten years ago with Cassini appear to concur with the theory to one part in many thousands.
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/news/newsrel ... e20031002/

In this second case the sheer mass (and so the gravity well) of the sun is the root of the dilation.

Traversed space and elapsed time are linked by velocity, since time dilation is part and parcel of relativity. Your earlier comment may be explained by Kappa and its effect on time perception by the observer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kappa_effect

Insane Poster

Posted on

If you were to travel in a space ship at close to the speed of light for year as measured in your time and returned to earth you'd find that way more than a year had elapsed on earth time

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:If you were to travel in a space ship at close to the speed of light for year as measured in your time and returned to earth you'd find that way more than a year had elapsed on earth time

About two years according to my calculations :D

Insane Poster

Posted on

Well in theory it would be infinity at the speed of light IIRC

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to General Science