Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

[!] New Forum Features!!

Into science? Chat about its amazing wonders here. E really does equal MC^2 -> Einstein would be proud!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Great work Smeg lad. Looks nice and tidy and makes things more practical.

Foo foo. Let's all foo foo.

Loves The place!
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

Cheers mate :)

Feel free to make requests if you can think of anything to improve the handling of the forum. I tend to notice caveats through using the forum myself and improve stuff based on that. But we're all different and you peeps might notice the need for improvements I've missed. So speak up. If it's reasonably possible to implement I'll implement it. :)

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

UPDATE!!

Ok Folks - New forum feature! Each Forum in the forum list now has a New Topic button. This means you can post a new topic in a forum without opening the forum itself. A nice little time saver!!

Have fun!!! :)

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:UPDATE!!

This means you can post a new topic in a forum without opening the forum itself. A nice little time saver!!

Have fun!!! :)

I may test this and post some general made-up rubbish in every forum.

As per usual I here people saying. :)

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Posted on

NEW FEATURE!!!

Wassup folks!! - New Feature .....

WHO POSTED?

1] in each forum click on the number of replies for a topic and little window pops up to tell who posted in the topic and how many times

2] in the topic itself click on the Total Posts ( top right and bottom right of page ) and the same little window pops up

Have fun!!

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

Bloody hell, what a neat little feature.

Foo foo. Let's all foo foo.

Loves The place!

Posted on

NEW FEATURE!!

Similar Topics

Wassup folks. There's a new feature in the viewtopic page. it's down the bottom and it's called Similar Topics.

I saw this is a mod for a Vbulletin forum the other day and thought it would be cool to have for phpBb3 on Smeggys. I found an attempt on the phpBB3 forums but it was rubbish so I wrote my own version.

Basically it searches the database for topics with words in the title that are in the title of the current topic's title. The search algorithm isn't fully intelligent as that would too many resources and take pages a long time to load, so it should really be called 'Similar'ish Topics'

Anyway it's pretty cool as it shows up some interesting old topics. Let me know if there's any problems with it or the view topics page. I spent a day or so testing it and it's working fine here, but ya never know

Have fun!

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

Thats sounds a great tool Smeggy, ALL forums should have something similar, I think I will use it a lot.

Thanks!

"TONGUE-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, I"

Haunting Beauty
Current Mood: Spine chillingly spooky

Posted on

That's a great idea, as it will keep churning up older threads too - I like it! :thumb:

Be yourself - everyone else is already taken.

Really Loves Smeggy's
How Hot Are You?: Sahara
Current Mood: Sad

Posted on

Yeah the pseudo random old thread generation was one of things I was pleased about. :)

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

Would it be possible to get one of these image resizing things installed? while I understand the need for a 800px wide limit a lot of images are much larger these days.

This is something I posted elsewhere, it doesn't break the forum doing it this way and there is no need to keep resizing images.

Smegster

Posted on

Jim_UK wrote:Would it be possible to get one of these image resizing things installed? while I understand the need for a 800px wide limit a lot of images are much larger these days.

This is something I posted elsewhere, it doesn't break the forum doing it this way and there is no need to keep resizing images.

Do you have a link to it? Is it a BBCODE type thingy

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:
Jim_UK wrote:Would it be possible to get one of these image resizing things installed? while I understand the need for a 800px wide limit a lot of images are much larger these days.

Do you have a link to it? Is it a BBCODE type thingy

No idea, the site bot puts the images on the forum from the main site, I have seen this elsewhere though. This is the thread http://thenexusforums.com/index.php?showtopic=107693

I'll see what I can find out about it.

Edit: this looks like the VB version, ill keep looking for phpBB. http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthre ... ge+Resizer

Smegster

Posted on

Smegster

Posted on

Jim_UK wrote:http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=561803 is this it?

Looks like the sort of thing. :)

Do you mean an image BBCODE that allows you to click on the image to enlarge it to full size?

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:
Jim_UK wrote:http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=561803 is this it?

Do you mean an image BBCODE that allows you to click on the image to enlarge it to full size?

It looks like that one does it automagiclly with images over a certain size, no need to piss about with various tags by the looks of things.

Smegster

Posted on

Jim_UK wrote:
smeggypants wrote:

It looks like that one does it automagiclly with images over a certain size, no need to piss about with various tags by the looks of things.

The forum IMG BBCODE checks an image size to 800 (set by admin) so I might be able modify it so that, instead of complaining the image is too large and refuses to post it, it automatically reduces it to 800, and applies a link to the correct size. That would be helpful.

That mod you linked to on the phpBB forum looks unproven and unnecessarily complicated. I'll see what I can do :)

The current image BBCodes need to stay for backwards compatibility and of course people sometimes want to resize an image to a size of their choosing

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:
Jim_UK wrote:
smeggypants wrote:

The forum IMG BBCODE checks an image size to 800 (set by admin) so I might be able modify it so that, instead of complaining the image is too large and refuses to post it, it automatically reduces it to 800, and applies a link to the correct size. That would be helpful.

That mod you linked to on the phpBB forum looks unproven and unnecessarily complicated. I'll see what I can do :)

The current image BBCodes need to stay for backwards compatibility and of course people sometimes want to resize an image to a size of their choosing

That's the same sort of thing that code does, that would definitely do the trick. My imageshack account is full of duplicates where I've upped something only to have to do it again because I forgot to resize the thing, I've not overkeen on brower resizing, they don't do the best job of it.

Smegster

Posted on

Found a workaround but it's a pain in the arse and needs both the original and a resized version of the image to be uploaded, balls to that. :D

Smegster

Posted on

You don't need to upload 2 versions.

Just use the image resize bbcode..... for example (quote this post to see how it's done)

What I can probably easily do is write a bbcode that avoids having to wrap the URL BBCODE, so it's a one stop operation.

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

PreviousNext

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to General Science