Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Unseen dark comets 'could pose deadly threat to earth'

Into science? Chat about its amazing wonders here. E really does equal MC^2 -> Einstein would be proud!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Unseen dark comets 'could pose deadly threat to earth'

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Splat!

The comets, of which there could be thousands, are not currently monitored by observatories and space agencies

Most comets and asteroids are monitored in case they start to travel towards earth.

But Bill Napier, from Cardiff University, said that many could be going by unnoticed.

"There is a case to be made that dark, dormant comets are a significant but largely unseen hazard," he said

Scientists estimate that there should be around 3,000 comets in the solar system, but only 25 have so far been identified.

"Dark" comets happen when the water on their surface has evaporated, causing them to reflect less light.

Astronomers have previously spotted comets heading towards earth just days before they passed.

In 1983 a comet called IRAS-Araki-Alcock passed at a distance of just 5 million kilometres, the closest of any comet for 200 years, but it was noticed just a fortnight beforehand.

Tests on another comet, called Comet Borrelly, in 2001 revealed it to have large dark patches across much of its surface.

Steve Larson of the University of Arizona's Catalina Sky Survey in Tucson, which monitors comets, said the idea of an unknown number of "dark" comets circling earth had "merit".

But Clark Chapman from the Southwest Research Institute in Boulder, Colorado, said that such comets "would absorb sunlight very well" and so could be detected by the heat they emit, reports New Scientist magazine.

And yet a TRILLION DOLLARS will have been spent on killing people in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Shakes head in disabelief

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

As far as asteroids go seeing them coming ain't going to help much as there is nothing we could do except watch them getting bigger and bigger for months and months, I'd rather one just appeared out of the dark and I had 30 seconds of worry before it killed me along with all life on the planet.

Posted on

martyn20
30 seconds
I would just be able to get my pants down run across the road an kick that fit neighbours window in an jump on her ..lol

12 cans of Stella
Current Mood: hopeful

Posted on

Mike Strutter wrote:martyn20
30 seconds
I would just be able to get my pants down run across the road an kick that fit neighbours window in an jump on her ..lol

Going out with a real bang :doggies:

Posted on

martyn20 wrote:As far as asteroids go seeing them coming ain't going to help much as there is nothing we could do except watch them getting bigger and bigger for months and months, I'd rather one just appeared out of the dark and I had 30 seconds of worry before it killed me along with all life on the planet.

Yeah but we could do something given enough warning and the world pulled together instead of engaging in mass sectarian/racist murder for profit. If we caught one early and managed to nudge it even a slight amount of it's trajectory this would extrapolate to a long way off it's path back here on earth. It would then miss us.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

martyn20
then as Im there on her ...
they give the all clear warnings/false alarm ... ...lol

12 cans of Stella
Current Mood: hopeful

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:
martyn20 wrote:As far as asteroids go seeing them coming ain't going to help much as there is nothing we could do except watch them getting bigger and bigger for months and months, I'd rather one just appeared out of the dark and I had 30 seconds of worry before it killed me along with all life on the planet.

Yeah but we could do something given enough warning and the world pulled together instead of engaging in mass sectarian/racist murder for profit. If we caught one early and managed to nudge it even a slight amount of it's trajectory this would extrapolate to a long way off it's path back here on earth. It would then miss us.

Nobody has a clue how to do it, not even Nasa and the Pentagon(US Military), shifting one of these rocks off course is still largely sci-fi. This is an interesting website-
http://www.b612foundation.org/index.html
A few well-known astronauts are involved including Rusty Schweickart, their aim is to come up with a way to significantly alter the orbit of an asteroid by 2015, until then we are basically fucked :spike:

Posted on

Mike Strutter wrote:martyn20
then as Im there on her ...
they give the all clear warnings/false alarm ... ...lol

Just as the husband walks in...lol

Sit on my Facebook!

Posted on

martyn20 wrote:
smeggypants wrote:

Nobody has a clue how to do it, not even Nasa and the Pentagon(US Military), shifting one of these rocks off course is still largely sci-fi. This is an interesting website-
http://www.b612foundation.org/index.html
A few well-known astronauts are involved including Rusty Schweickart, their aim is to come up with a way to significantly alter the orbit of an asteroid by 2015, until then we are basically fucked :spike:

A method will be found eventually. My feelings are that more effort should be put into it. Even the tiny minority, the ruling elite, that own 99.99999% of all the wealth in the world won't be immune to being fucked by a large asteroid,so while I don't expect them to give a fuck about us, I do expect them top care about themselves. That's why I don't by the bullshit about Nuclear threats from Iran. There's no incentive to rule over a nuclear wasteland or asteroid caused wasteland :) :)

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to General Science