Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Louis Theroux - Extreme Love

All about TV programmes whether you love them or hate them!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

i watched it and was snivelling within 5 mins.

i can completely understand EoW's reaction to it because it was hard to watch in some respects.

i saw alot of my own son in much of Nicky's responses--it made me smile and cry at the same time.

i found myself saying 'these are people's children' most of the way through it--bloody heartbreaking.

LT quoted a figure of 1 in 100 children are diagnosed at autistic-- :eek: simon baron-cohen estimates that figure at more like 1 in 40----the implications of that figure is truely staggering. a few years ago SBC also suggested that the Aspergers's brain was the ultimate male brain. we should consider ourselves warned because if he is right there will be many things that will have to change--and change big time :coffee:

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Grumpy Old Cow
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: BANNED!

Posted on

sorry mlf , didn't mean to cause any offence xx

Trying is the first step towards failure...Homer Simpson
"Ahhhhhh bollox.... whats the point "... Me :D
I would like to thank the MOD for all of their support over the years ...thanks for fuck all :fingers:
do whaaaaaa ? :tizzles:

It's all bollocks!
Location: Sunny, scintillating Blackpool . Riiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhtttttt
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: FUCKIN' FUCKITTY BOLLOCKS !!!

Posted on

robinnia wrote:i saw alot of my own son in much of Nicky's responses--it made me smile and cry at the same time.

I saw Babygirl at the start, in the male twin kicking off in the car. It was the way he was hitting himself in the head - so like her.

I did like the way they covered the toll it takes on the family. Its something thats often forgotten.

@wots - don't worry about it.

Whether long range weapon or suicide bomber a wicked mind is a weapon of mass destruction whether you're soar away sun or BBC 1 misinformation is a weapon of mass destruc you could a Caucasian or a poor Asian racism is a weapon of mass destruction whether inflation or globalization fear is a weapon of mass destruction whether Halliburton or Enron or anyone greed is a weapon of mass destruction we need to find courage, overcome inaction is a weapon of mass destruction

Bra Burning Hippy
Current Mood: waiting

Posted on

Morgan le Fay wrote:
wotsit2 wrote:i refuse to watch ANY programme with the word "extreme" in the title . that word is soooo overused these days

Yeah because obviously that was the most important thing about the programme. :roll:

I watched it.

It focussed on pupils in a school in New Jersey for autisic children, with a teacher/child ratio of 1:1.5. They mainly had 4 kids across the range of the spectrum - high functioning to very low, and their lives, how their families were affected and so on, the title comes from the love between parent and child, not romantic love. The school teaches academics and lifeskills - how to have a conversation, how to carry out simple tasks, how to manage in a world not designed for people like you.

It was good. It was honest. At one point a 13 year old boy went into meltdown, and Loius asked his mum if she wanted them to turn off the cameras - she said "No. People need to see this.", as she took him to the floor and restrained him to stop him hurting himself and people around him - I've had to do this too - when Babygirl kicks off next to busy roads, on train station platforms. I think shes right.

It was moving, but also stark. EoW felt unable to watch after a few minutes and had to leave - he worries greatly for Babygirls future, and seeing possible futures was too much for him - she is his baby girl. I focus on the present, which is I think how I managed to cope.

If you didn't see it I would recommend you catch it on iPlayer. It will help you understand.

:squeeze: :squeeze: to you both. :)

I will try and catch it on iPlayer. I haven't got much attention or concentration span at the moment. I had to watch the Titanic video in segments ( which I'd highly recommend )

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:
Rocky wrote:
Morgan le Fay wrote:I enjoyed the ones he did on Westboro Baptist Church and Scientology. He'll touch stuff no one else will and manages to not make himself look a tit in the process.

His best programme was when he went to the USA and interviewed a bunch of redneck American Nazis.... He has a knack of taking the piss out of people wthout them realising it. He did the same in Philadelphia when he interviewed a bunch of black youths who were all members of the local gang culture.

Real villains some of them but he got away with it.

I saw that episode in Philly with the Black Gang members. Excellent. I did wonder why some of them just didn't get out the area, but then I suppose they'd only end up in a similar area and more alone. Land of the free eh?

Difficult decision to make because if you move out of your ghetto you leave your
gang members behind and lose the 'family protection' they provide for each other.

Super Smegsterwegsta
How Hot Are You?: Centre Of The Sun
Current Mood: Changeable

Posted on

I got around to watching the episode on dementia yesterday. It had people at different stages and their families - some who lived at home cared for by family and others in care homes.

It was easier for me to watch than the last one, but one thing stayed with me. A man was visiting his mother in a home, she had very advanced dementia, she couldn't remember people or do more than say one word over and over again. He showed her pictures and she just walked away and made n connection with him.

Then she went into a room and came out with a statue of an angel, placed it in his hands and hugged him. A beautiful moment.

Whether long range weapon or suicide bomber a wicked mind is a weapon of mass destruction whether you're soar away sun or BBC 1 misinformation is a weapon of mass destruc you could a Caucasian or a poor Asian racism is a weapon of mass destruction whether inflation or globalization fear is a weapon of mass destruction whether Halliburton or Enron or anyone greed is a weapon of mass destruction we need to find courage, overcome inaction is a weapon of mass destruction

Bra Burning Hippy
Current Mood: waiting

Posted on

My Aunty is getting worse. My mum who is in her 86th year is more than likely starting. I've noticed she's getting more and more forgetful and is starting to say some odd things.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Previous

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to TV