Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Chinese school BBC2 now

All about TV programmes whether you love them or hate them!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Watching this but can't say I'm liking it very much. Though one of the Chinky teachers just reminded me of crumbs "if they cut down the benefits then maybe the children would be more motivated to learn".

I seem to remember that they hardly have a benefits system in China. :):

DOCUMENTARY: Are Our Kids Tough Enough? Chinese School
On: BBC 2 HD (102)
Date: Tuesday 4th August 2015 (27 minutes left)
Time: 21:00 to 22:00 (1 hour long)

In a unique experiment, five teachers from China take over the education of 50 teenagers in a Hampshire school to see whether the high-ranking Chinese education system can teach us a lesson. Will the harsh regime of long days and strict discipline produce superior students? Or will the clash of two cultures create chaos in the classroom? After four weeks, the Chinese and British systems will go head to head with the whole year group sitting exams to see which teaching style gets the best results. Day one of the experiment proves a shock for everyone, and there are tears when the teenagers discover just how competitive the Chinese teachers expect them to be.
(Editor's Choice, Stereo, Widescreen, Subtitles, Audio Described, Episode 1)

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Posted on

Watching second episode from yesterday. Discipline in the Chinese taught classes is falling apart it seems. The Chinese teachers expect pupils to have self-discipline and don't know what to do if they don't.

The lessons aren't interactive ones as the kids are used to nowadays, so the teachers expect pupils to write down stuff from the board while they are talking at the same time. That's what happened at my Grammar School many decades ago and we knew no different then.

We also had self-discipline at Grammar but having talked with ex-Secondary Mod people their classes weren't always so easy to control. :)

The experiment seems to be a failure.

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Posted on

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to TV