Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

End Extreme Poverty in 15 Years BBC2 8pm

All about TV programmes whether you love them or hate them!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

You may not agree with what Prof Hans Rosling has to say but his presentations are usually humorous and thought-provoking.

He may well annoy you if you have fixed views and your mind is totally closed to new ideas, as some of you are. But watch anyway. :)

DOCUMENTARY: Don't Panic - How to End Extreme Poverty in 15 Years
On: BBC 2 HD (102)
Date: Wednesday 23rd September 2015 (starting in 1 hour and 34 minutes)
Time: 20:00 to 21:00 (1 hour long)

International investigative documentary series. The legendary statistical showman Professor Hans Rosling returns to examine the number one goal for the world: eradicating, for the first time in human history, extreme poverty. Rosling uses holographic projection technology to present an upbeat assessment of our ability to achieve that goal by 2030. He brings to life the global challenge, mixing powerful statistics and dramatic human stories from Africa and Asia. In Malawi, the rains have failed as Dunstar and Jenet harvest their maize. How many hunger months will they face when it runs out? In Cambodia, Srey Mao is about to give birth to twins but one is upside-down. She's had to borrow money to pay the medical bills. Might this happy event throw her family back into extreme poverty? Rosling concludes by showing why eradicating extreme poverty quickly will be easier than slowly. Wingspan Productions for BBC produced in partnership with The Open University.
(Editor's Choice, Stereo, Widescreen, High Definition, Subtitles, Audio Described)

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Posted on

All poverty could be eradicated with a change to the monetary system to abolish the debt based creation of money and a basic income for all

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:All poverty could be eradicated with a change to the monetary system to abolish the debt based creation of money and a basic income for all

I know your views as you have stated them many times.

The poverty referred to in the programme is mainly in third world countries, with governments which definitely won't be granting a basic income for all - they grasp all the money for themselves.

Though watch anyway. :D

Nutter!!

Posted on

diablo wrote:
smeggypants wrote:All poverty could be eradicated with a change to the monetary system to abolish the debt based creation of money and a basic income for all

I know your views as you have stated them many times.

The poverty referred to in the programme is mainly in third world countries, with governments which definitely won't be granting a basic income for all - they grasp all the money for themselves.

Though watch anyway. :D

Govts won't do it in 1st and 2nd world countries either. it would upset the Elite hegemony and the economics of scarcity that supports that hegemony.

There's plenty enough resources in the world for everyone. You mentioned being open to new ideas. I'm the one that's being exactly that. :thumb:

3rd world countries aren't poor. They are extremely rich in natural resources, but they are being raped od wealth though economic terrorism using the weapon of debt. Usury debt enslavement by people who create money out of thin air and reap the wealth from those resources. World Bank/IMF/Bank Of International settlements get control of those country's economic policy in return for that debt. Local politicians like Mugabe for example are just puppet figureheads.

Allowing these countries to govern themselves would be the first step. Incidentally Iceland has taken steps to lessen world banker control of their country, and as predicted the MSM including the elite controlled BBC has ignored it.

I'll try to remember to put it on, but I doubt a BBC program is going to touch upon the real reason for poverty

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

A sample of the Prof's work -

http://www.ted.com/talks/hans_rosling_s ... anguage=en

Though programme is starting in a few minutes.

Nutter!!

Posted on

I didn't catch all of it, but his asnwer seems to be more debt enslavement ( dressed up as investment )

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

Now watched it after rollin in from the pub.

Well that was the worst of his programmes which I've seen, so sorry for that. :):

smeggypants wrote:I didn't catch all of it, but his asnwer seems to be more debt enslavement ( dressed up as investment )

As per usual you seem to have watched a totally different programme than the one I saw. He said nothing at all about lending these people more dosh. What he actually said was that charities spend a lot of money in countries which don't actually need it and that it should be redirected to the ones that do. Also that we should help prevent war in these countries, I assume you agree with that. :) Plus provide free birth control for the poorest.

If anyone doubts my version they can watch the programme on iPlayer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06drxls

Watch the last five minutes to see his solution. :)

Nutter!!

Posted on

diablo wrote:Now watched it after rollin in from the pub.

Well that was the worst of his programmes which I've seen, so sorry for that. :):

smeggypants wrote:I didn't catch all of it, but his asnwer seems to be more debt enslavement ( dressed up as investment )

As per usual you seem to have watched a totally different programme than the one I saw. He said nothing at all about lending these people more dosh. What he actually said was that charities spend a lot of money in countries which don't actually need it and that it should be redirected to the ones that do. Also that we should help prevent war in these countries, I assume you agree with that. :) Plus provide free birth control for the poorest.

If anyone doubts my version they can watch the programme on iPlayer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06drxls

Watch the last five minutes to see his solution. :)

Not directly, buy he talked about investment, and that's the same thing in the end. yes I heard the other "solutions", and just saying "We should help prevent war in those countries" is the talk of a a delusionsist. Does he not know that wars are fomented for the profits of the Elite. Destabilisation is the best way to prevent a country becomeign economically strong. That's why it's implemented across the middle East right now as well as in several places in Africa.

Free birth control is great, but a lot of Africa is Catholic dominated and people in poor places have a lot of kids to ensure soem surviev becuase of a high infcat mortality rate. People regularly had loads of children in the UK a 100 years ago.

but yes it wasn't the most substanced of programs

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

His talk of the ending of wars maybe was delusional but it is goal to aim at. I'm sure you aim at it too, and maybe your twitter messages will help the world to that goal.

The only investment I heard him mention was from charities redirecting their funds. He mentioned that the extreme poor in moderately well placed countries get $300 per head, which those countries could well provide themselves (they might not, but they could). Those in very poor countries seem to get $100 per head. Is this the wrong way about? I think so. :):

If the extremely poor in those poor countries got $400 per head in infrastructure investment it could make a lot of difference to their lives.

FFS, one of those families in the programme were hoping to eventually buy a fucking mattress. :eek4:

My mother's family was pretty poor and she was the last of about 12 kiddies, in a tiny rented cottage, small enough that it was ordered to be torn down 20 years ago as it wasn't big enough for modern people. I don't think my maternal granny or her hubby were Catholic, just accepted what they got. Birth control was very primitive in those days anyway. So I'm acutely aware of such things.

The present Pope has said many things which imply that he isn't strongly against contraception and I hope he firms that up later in his term of office.

However, poverty seems to be the main cause of excess kiddies. Even in those countries which are majority Catholic if their income rises sufficiently so that they can afford contraceptives, they do! Even though they are still Catholics. Prosperous Italy is very largely Catholic and their native population is not growing, in spite of them having perhaps them being the longest lived people in Europe. :):

Nutter!!

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to TV