Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

The Brain with David Eagleman BBC4 9pm

All about TV programmes whether you love them or hate them!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Looks interesting to me. It might even explain how crumbs gets such a distorted view of the world. :)

DOCUMENTARY: The Brain with David Eagleman
On: BBC 4 HD (106)
Date: Thursday 21st January 2016 (starting in 3 hours and 14 minutes)
Time: 21:00 to 22:00 (1 hour long)

What is Reality?
Dr David Eagleman takes viewers on a journey that explores how the brain, locked in silence and darkness without direct access to the world, conjures up the world we all take for granted. In the outside world there is no colour, no sound, no smell - these are all constructions of the brain. Instead, there is electromagnetic radiation, air compression waves and aromatic molecules, all of which are interpreted by the brain as colour, sound and smell. We meet a man who is blind despite the fact that he has eyes that can see. His story reveals that it's the brain that sees, not the eyes. A woman with schizophrenia, whose psychotic episodes were her reality, emphasises the fact that whatever our brains tell us is out there, we believe it. The brain leaves a lot out of its rendition of the physical world, a fact that Dr Eagleman reveals using experiments and street demonstrations.
(Editor's Choice, Stereo, New Series, Widescreen, High Definition, Subtitles, Audio Described, Episode 1)

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Posted on

Thanks, gonna set it to record. :)

Sit on my Facebook!

Posted on

Gonna put this on - cheers diabs :)

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

Enjoyed that. Although it stretched out some concepts that could been explained in a couple of minutes it was a reminder of how our world does indeed exist inside our head.

And how our brains use pre-existing templates to make the creation of the current "view" more efficient.

It's like what's outside of our skull both exists and doesn't exist. Schroedinger's pussy :)

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

diablo wrote: We meet a man who is blind despite the fact that he has eyes that can see. His story reveals that it's the brain that sees, not the eyes.

I tried to get a job as odd job/plumber/cleaner at the local all-girls football club citing the same reasons and employment under equality legislation. They wrote back saying I was taking a fucking liberty.
I replied, but realised the error of my ways after driving to court and got a £350 fine.

The best facial is a daily facial.

Complete Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: unknown

Posted on

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

diablo wrote:Looks interesting to me. It might even explain how crumbs gets such a distorted view of the world. :)

DOCUMENTARY: The Brain with David Eagleman
Date: Thursday 21st January 2016 (starting in 3 hours and 14 minutes)

What is Reality?
Dr David Eagleman takes viewers on a journey that explores how the brain, locked in silence and darkness without direct access to the world, conjures up the world we all take for granted. In the outside world there is no colour, no sound, no smell - these are all constructions of the brain. Instead, there is electromagnetic radiation, air compression waves and aromatic molecules, all of which are interpreted by the brain as colour, sound and smell. We meet a man who is blind despite the fact that he has eyes that can see. His story reveals that it's the brain that sees, not the eyes. A woman with schizophrenia, whose psychotic episodes were her reality, emphasises the fact that whatever our brains tell us is out there, we believe it. The brain leaves a lot out of its rendition of the physical world, a fact that Dr Eagleman reveals using experiments and street demonstrations.
(Editor's Choice, Stereo, New Series, Widescreen, High Definition, Subtitles, Audio Described, Episode 1)

Sounds interesting. Will give it a watch on iPlayer. Thanks Diabs :thumb:

Complete Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

Resonance wrote:
Sounds interesting. Will give it a watch on iPlayer. Thanks Diabs :thumb:

Similar to Smeggy, I found it 'good in parts', like the proverbial curate's egg. :)

Everything we experience seems real and intantaneous but is actually a 3D sound and light show created by the brain. :)

Nutter!!

Posted on

Episode three tonight, which looks good. The question of the existence of 'free will' has always perplexed me. :):

SCIENTIFIC DOCUMENTARY: The Brain with David Eagleman
On: BBC 4 (9)
Date: Thursday 4th February 2016 (starting in 2 hours and 19 minutes)

Who is in Control? Series 1, episode 3.
Dr David Eagleman explores how the brain conjures up the world we take for granted. This episode explores the great deception that greets us each morning when we wake up - it feels as though we are in conscious control of our lives, but in fact almost every action we take, every decision we make, every belief that we hold is driven by parts of the brain that we have no access to. Dr Eagleman reveals the electrical storm of unconscious neural activity that accompanies even the simplest of actions. He ends with a brief journey through free will, and the deep question of whether we have any conscious control over our lives. Although there is tantalising evidence that we can feel as though we are consciously in control when we are not, the experimental jury is still out on whether or not free will is an illusion. However, free will or no free will, the human brain's extraordinary complexity guarantees that life will never feel predictable.
(Editor's Choice, New, Stereo, Widescreen, Subtitles, Audio Described)

Nutter!!

Posted on

Bugger - missed it

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

I turned the TV on just at that climber was scaling some never ending cliff face without ropes.

More brain dead than meditation state.

The best facial is a daily facial.

Complete Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: unknown

Posted on

crumbs wrote:crumbs has a huuuuuuuuuuge B.R.I.A.N.

I bet. When you getting married :D

Complete Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

These aren't the best programmes ever but each has some good bits. Next ep on tonight - and of course they are on iPlayer. :)

SCIENTIFIC DOCUMENTARY: The Brain with David Eagleman
Date: Thursday 11th February 2016 (starting in 2 hours and 49 minutes)
Time: 22:00 to 23:00 (1 hour long)

How Do I Decide? Series 1, episode 4.
Dr David Eagleman explores how the brain conjures up the world we take for granted. This episode takes a journey through the unseen world of decisions, and how they get made. We learn that every decision we make is born of a 'winner takes all' competition between rival neural networks. Dr Eagleman reveals that something as simple as when you ate your last meal can even influence life-changing decisions, as a study on judges showed they were less likely to give parole when they were hungry. So many of our 'conscious' life-defining decisions are actually steered by unconscious influences, whether it's deciding whom we find attractive or how to vote in the next election. Professor Read Montague reveals that he can be 95 per cent certain about which political party we will vote for based on our brain's response to disgusting imagery. Finally, Dr Eagleman looks at how a new technique called fMRI neurofeedback can retrain the brains of drug addicts who want to make better decisions.
(New, Stereo, Widescreen, High Definition, Subtitles, Audio Described)

Nutter!!

Posted on

Just in time!! Gonna put it on :)

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

Oh duh, 10pm - making a star first, that sound interesting too

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

I lost interest in the Brain program. Star Making was much better despite being presented by the Steaming on E's Brian Cox

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:I lost interest in the Brain program. Star Making was much better despite being presented by the Steaming on E's Brian Cox

It didn't capture me too much either, I reckon the 6 hour-long episodes could be edited down to a very good 2 hours. :):

The 'star' program, well for most of my life nuclear fusion has always been 50 years away. Though new projects, such as this Chinese one -

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/ ... n-degrees/

- look vaguely promising. There is a big French fusion device being built which may actually produce more power than it consumes ! :D

I reckon that renewables will advance much quicker and be probably our main source of power within 20 years. :)

Nutter!!

Posted on

diablo wrote:
smeggypants wrote:I lost interest in the Brain program. Star Making was much better despite being presented by the Steaming on E's Brian Cox

It didn't capture me too much either, I reckon the 6 hour-long episodes could be edited down to a very good 2 hours. :):

Or less

The 'star' program, well for most of my life nuclear fusion has always been 50 years away. Though new projects, such as this Chinese one -

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/ ... n-degrees/

- look vaguely promising. There is a big French fusion device being built which may actually produce more power than it consumes ! :D

I reckon that renewables will advance much quicker and be probably our main source of power within 20 years. :)

When the oil runs out what will be used to make plastics?

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to TV