Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

WW1 Battle of Jutland 100th anniversary BBC4 Sun 9pm

All about TV programmes whether you love them or hate them!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

I've already seen a couple of programmes about the battle of Jutland this year, the most important sea battle of the first world war. Seems to be another one -

DOCUMENTARY: Battle of Jutland: The Navy's Bloodiest Day
On: BBC 2 HD (102)
Date: Sunday 29th May 2016 (starting in 1 day)
Time: 21:00 to 22:05 (1 hour and 5 minutes long)

Dan Snow, Shini Somara and Nick Hewitt investigate the events and the legacy of the largest naval battle of the First World War, the Battle of Jutland. Its 100th anniversary is commemorated this year. Both Britain and Germany claimed victory - but both sides suffered huge losses and the significance of the battle to the outcome of the war has been questioned ever since. Fresh evidence sheds new light not only on why so many died, but also on the importance of Jutland to the eventual triumph of the Allies.
(Stereo, Widescreen, High Definition, Subtitles, Audio Described)

I wonder if they'll come to the correct conclusion - that Jellicoe got it as right as he could and that Beatty was a lying bastard? :)

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Posted on

A massive war crime!

Benjamin H. Freedman speech on the history of WW1 and WW2 - Highly recommended!

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

diablo wrote:I wonder if they'll come to the correct conclusion - that Jellicoe got it as right as he could and that Beatty was a lying bastard? :)

With that sleuth Snow on the case, blame may fall on Idi Amin.

The best facial is a daily facial.

Complete Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: unknown

Posted on

Channel Hopper wrote:
diablo wrote:I wonder if they'll come to the correct conclusion - that Jellicoe got it as right as he could and that Beatty was a lying bastard? :)

With that sleuth Snow on the case, blame may fall on Idi Amin.

Quite entertaining show, I liked the bit where they showed the only remaining WW1 Dreadnought, the USS Texas, which was on a similar scale to the British and German ships.

Much other of interest to me, so a worthwhile view.

The investigations of why more British ships were sunk was okay I suppose, they didn't expose the fact that Beatty's fleet had had too little gunnery practice, but mentioned that the Royal Navy had worse range-finders than the Germans, and because Beatty's ships tried to compensate for lack of acciracy by firing more rapidly they kept ammo doors open and piles of cordite on deck.

They didn't seem to apportion blame, though correctly concluded that blockade was a major factor in Britain avoiding defeat.

Nutter!!

Posted on

If you haven't listened to the Freedman speech posted above yet I highly recommend you earmark an hour or so for it. Benjamin Freedman was amongst the powers that be for those wars and was able to tell some truths that the Establishment didn't want the masses to know.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:If you haven't listened to the Freedman speech posted above yet I highly recommend you earmark an hour or so for it. Benjamin Freedman was amongst the powers that be for those wars and was able to tell some truths that the Establishment didn't want the masses to know.

I've read some of his stuff and his account seems well overblown. It is true that the Balfour declaration was brought into being due to the need for Jewish money though.

This thread isn't about any mechanisms behind the scenes in WW1, just about a sea battle which happened 100 years ago. :)

Nutter!!

Posted on

You could argue that Jutland was the most important battle of WW1 as it was the mutiny of German sailors when they were ordered to back out into the North Sea two years later that contributed to 'The Stab in the back' that saw Germany unable to continue in the war.

paint your wagons and burn your banker, coz the twisted circus is coming to town and there ain't no safety net under the high wire.

- Larry Love.

Smegster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: Puckish

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to TV