Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Losing sympathy with Julie Myerson

Like a good read? You're not the only one! Talk about it here!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/ma ... lost-child

Having read about this issue over the weekend - Julie Myerson's new book about her skunk addicted son and their relationship - including the 'tough love' option she took by throwing him out of the house, I was mildly supportive.

However, after hearing her on the radio earlier and just now on Newsnight I'm starting to be rather less supportive. The reasoning seems weaker every time i hear it.

Maybe the fact that I always fancied her when she was on Newsnight Review and wanted to think good of her initially. ;)

What do you think?

(and have you ever read any of her books - I haven't)

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Posted on

Not read any of her books either, but I can remember her being on Beeb Breakfast Time TV a couple of months ago doing the skunk fucks you up number. In her son's case I think she should look slightly closer to home.

Posted on

Sounds like another exploitation of the buzzword 'skunk' that is bandied around because no one believes the normal cannibis is harmful.

Why aren't we being pushed the message of alcohol addiction? Because alcohol is legal we are being pushed the message that overindulging is bad.

Alcohol is a much worse drug than cannabis. Skunk is only a vodka where normal resin is a can of Stella.

Why not legalise cannabis, regulate it so we know what it isn't being cut with and then advertise about over indulgence?

Political imbalances!!! :mad:

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

Absolutely!

According to statistics.gov ( http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=1091 ) there were 8,724 alcohol-related deaths in 2007, lower than 2006, but more than double the 4,144 recorded in 1991. The alcohol-related death rate was 13.3 per 100,000 population in 2007, compared with 6.9 per 100,000 population in 1991.

:hichic: :outontown: :wine: :hichic:

Using the same site, and as regards cannabis, all I could find were statistics related to the following:

*Prevalence of recent use of cannabis, amphetamines and cocaine, among young adults, EU comparison, 1999.

*People who used cannabis: by age, 1996.

*Seizures of selected drugs, 1981-2000.

*Percentage of 16 to 24 year olds who had used selected drugs in the past year.

*Seizures of drugs, 1981 to 1997.

:splif: :boing:

No statistics whatsoever on death or mental/physical illness!

What does that tell you??

"TONGUE-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, I"

Haunting Beauty
Current Mood: Spine chillingly spooky

Posted on

I don't think their has been any deaths as a directr result from taking cannabis. There's no dbout that smoking Cannabis harmful. But Imbibing chemicals that have resulted from a smoked process is always a disadvantage from a health point of view. Studies have shown there's an increase in cancer from eating smoked fish.

Eat drink and be merry!!!!!

Enjoy it while you can. no one will give a fuck in 100 years time

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

I think the story here is more about the relationship between this middle class family and their son - and how they have dealt with it, rather than the substance which caused the behavioural change in the teenager.

The situation would have been similar if he had become addicted to having six cans of Tennents Super every evening.

A child who becomes violent, breaks windows, is obnoxious and steals to obtain the additive substance can be a problem. But how do you deal with it?

And when you have dealt with it, by some means, do you then write a book about it - which will inevitably result in the son being identified by the media?

I suppose I should be grateful that nobody has YET pointed to Zionist Stonecutters and the Knights Templar as the culprits though. :pp: :D

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

Nutter!!
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Posted on

Diablo Wrote:
I suppose I should be grateful that nobody has YET pointed to Zionist Stonecutters and the Knights Templar as the culprits though. :pp: :D

Er........... ..............Well, ACTUALLY............

:rofl:

"TONGUE-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, I"

Haunting Beauty
Current Mood: Spine chillingly spooky

Posted on

Bowker's cat wrote:Not read any of her books either, but I can remember her being on Beeb Breakfast Time TV a couple of months ago doing the skunk fucks you up number. In her son's case I think she should look slightly closer to home.

I remember her doing the meeja rounds and thought the same thing.

The analogy between vodka/skunk cannabis/lager is valid, no child under 21 should smoke skunk or drink vodka as their brains are forming but a little 'solid' and a few tinnies is OK. The lad sounded like a bit of an arse though I wouldn't blame the drugs in their situation from the sound of it, it could have reached a head over anything.
The current generation of kids do not do nearly a fraction the amount of drugs that my crowd did in the acid house generation so I think they should relax, these things come in waves and todays kids are pretty straight in comparison but seem to booze a lot more and that is really fucked up. They will all end up with no livers and a complextion like Steve McClarren, of all the caners I have known the drinkers have aged really badly most of all.

:splif:

Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has no heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains.
Winston Churchill

Really Hooked!
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: aid flotilla my arse.

Posted on

During my mid-late teens through to being around 30, i was a regular user of Cannabis as were most of my friends but Skunk didnt really appear until i was in my mid 20's i would say. What my friends and i noticed, especially when Skunk became the regular delivery, was how the younger generation used the drug differently. For example, we would usually visit our supplier once a week or so and enjoy a 'social' smoke with the guy before we left. While there, younger guys would arrive for their supply and load up a spliff with enough Skunk that would last us all night steadily chugging away. We were regular users of many years and these younger guys smokes would blow your head off in a couple of tugs. 1/4oz would usually last us around a week of steady use, the younger crowd would smoke that in the evening.
The Vodka analogy is pretty accurate i would say, our bottle would last a week, theirs lasted a night. Its little wonder that many of these younger heavy users of Skunk have gone on to have real mental issues later.

I was bored and decided to update my signature but i couldnt think of anything to put, so i decided to just put Bollocks!

Irritating the humorless since 1973

Complete Nutter!!
Current Mood: Sexy as fuck!

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Books