Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

The Shock Doctrine - Naomi Klein

Like a good read? You're not the only one! Talk about it here!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Just bought a copy of "The Shock Doctrine" (The Rise Of Disaster Capitalism) by Naomi Klein. Only started reading it today, but already it's shaping up to be a dynamite piece of work, hugely informative, not to mention wonderfully controversial! :D I've previously read Naomi's "No Logo", an account (as the title suggests) of a culture that has moved from selling products to hawking brands, and her writing style is always calm, lucid, and very readable.

So far "The Shock Doctrine" appears to be equally well researched and I'm really looking forward to getting my teeth into it. :yippee:

SHORT REVIEW FROM THE LA TIMES

The Shock Doctrine
Los Angeles Times, June 22, 2008

Klein launches a highly polemical, and persuasive, assault on free-market fundamentalism. She rips into the big-business agenda to show how economic opportunists need and promote misery and disaster, challenging us to look at world-changing events -- Pinochet's coup, Tiananmen Square, the collapse of the Soviet Union, Hurricane Katrina -- from a whole other perspective. Not everybody's going to agree with her, but this is reporting and history-writing in the tradition of Izzy Stone and Upton Sinclair. Klein upends assumptions and demands that we think -- her book is thrilling, troubling and very dark.



After I'm done my intention is to use this thread to jot down my thoughts, and also to make notes for further reading.

Image
"TONGUE-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, I"

User avatar
Haunting Beauty
Posts: 4600
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:20 pm
Location: Scotland
Current Mood: Spine chillingly spooky

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

I'm about a third of the way through the book now and I'm definitely not disappointed.

The Shock Doctrine argues that part of the reason why conspiracy theories are so rampant is that people see the enormous political and economic benefits reaped in the aftermath of disasters, and conclude that the winners must be involved in dark plots to create those disasters in the first place. Naomi Klein poses the theory that more accurate is the idea that our political and corporate Elites exist in a state of acute intellectual disaster preparedness, so that when the disasters hit, the companies, the lobbyists, and the policy framework are all ready to go (that's what right-wing thinktanks are for after all!!).

"Shock Therapy", she says, was the brainchild of the infamous Economist Milton Freidman, who first tested his theories out in Latin America, where ordinary citizens lacked secure property rights and their' constitutions did not set clear limits on government action. The poor of Latin America, for example, had very little shelter against the predatory greed of the corporate elite.

The chief accusation of The Shock Doctrine is that mainstream economics has knowingly helped to design and justify a system that works consistently against the people decade by decade and country by country. She argues that many economists are willing tools of disaster capitalism, promoting it in public and profiting from it in private. In short it's the story of how a very few are making a killing whilst a great many are being killed. (i.e. 9/11, Katrina, the Iraq war [shock and awe!!]...)

But she goes further, discussing Ewan Cameron and the CIA's MKUltra mind-control experiments that used electroshock [torture] treatments to "wipe the [mind's] slate clean" in preparation for a "new" set of ideals, and comparing it with the sudden "shock and awe" "treatment" imposed on an entire country by a ruthless economic and/or military regime.


Shock and awe are actions that created fears, dangers, and destruction that are incomprehensible to the people at large, specific elements/sectors of the threat society, or leadershiip. Nature in the form of tornades, hurricanes, earthquakes, floods, uncontrolled fires, famine and disease can engender shock and awe.
"Shock and Awe"; achieving rapid dominance. The military doctrine for the US forces in Iraq.


Under conditions such as those mentioned above the people become dazed, disorientated and confused, and in a "Blank Slate" state of mind; ready to accept any sort of "change" that they feel will alleviate the situation. It's under these conditions that they are ripe for a Corporate counterrevolution. Even one that they had previously fought against and despised will become acceptible.


I fear that the recent recession on a global scale is yet another of these (this time probably man-made) situations that disaster capitalists are already using to create willing slaves to their Global Capitalist Agenda.


More soon...

Image
"TONGUE-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, I"

User avatar
Haunting Beauty
Posts: 4600
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:20 pm
Location: Scotland
Current Mood: Spine chillingly spooky

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

I've never been a book reader. I guess I'm missing out, but I always seem to gravitate to filling my time with other pursuits. :)

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 118992
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

smeggypants wrote:I've never been a book reader. I guess I'm missing out, but I always seem to gravitate to filling my time with other pursuits. :)


Smeggy you would love this book!

Honestly if you only read one book EVER I'd highly recommend this one. In fact if I knew where you lived I'd order you a copy and have Amazon deliver it to your door. :)

Hmm, don't suppose you have a PO Box by any chance? :chin:

Image
"TONGUE-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, I"

User avatar
Haunting Beauty
Posts: 4600
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:20 pm
Location: Scotland
Current Mood: Spine chillingly spooky

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Here ya go Smeggs ....we all know you cannot resist a "Babe " :D





Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Alternative thoughts on Naomi Klein ..... ;)




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

I've posted you a pm regarding your message to me, and the video links you've provided. I hear what you're saying, and I will post more here when I've read further into the book.

Image
"TONGUE-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, I"

User avatar
Haunting Beauty
Posts: 4600
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:20 pm
Location: Scotland
Current Mood: Spine chillingly spooky

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

ghostgirl wrote:I've posted you a pm regarding your message to me, and the video links you've provided. I hear what you're saying, and I will post more here when I've read further into the book.


Look forward to it GG ... :thumb:




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

I didn't know until today that Klein's 'Shock Doctrine' had been made into a documentary by Mat Whitecross and Michael Winterbottom, - it was shown on Channel 4 well over a year ago. I've just watched it and it's basically the book made screen-ready. Excellent viewing, reminded me very much of the Adam Curtis films in both content and style.

Can't embed it unfortunately, but YOU CAN WATCH IT HERE...


@ Annie

You weren't sure of Naomi Klein last time we discussed the subject of Milton Friedman, Free Market Capitalism, etc, Annie, so I'd particularly be interested to hear what you think of this film, if you get some time? :)

Image
"TONGUE-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, I"

User avatar
Haunting Beauty
Posts: 4600
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:20 pm
Location: Scotland
Current Mood: Spine chillingly spooky

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

ghostgirl wrote:I didn't know until today that Klein's 'Shock Doctrine' had been made into a documentary by Mat Whitecross and Michael Winterbottom, - it was shown on Channel 4 well over a year ago. I've just watched it and it's basically the book made screen-ready. Excellent viewing, reminded me very much of the Adam Curtis films in both content and style.

Can't embed it unfortunately, but YOU CAN WATCH IT HERE...


@ Annie

You weren't sure of Naomi Klein last time we discussed the subject of Milton Friedman, Free Market Capitalism, etc, Annie, so I'd particularly be interested to hear what you think of this film, if you get some time? :)


Ok kiddo will give it a watch ....I think she makes some very good points in general but seems to miss some other points ....still not sure yet . cheers for the link anyway :thumb: I will get back to you in a few days as my sister is over so I will be busy .




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

annie27 wrote:
ghostgirl wrote:I didn't know until today that Klein's 'Shock Doctrine' had been made into a documentary by Mat Whitecross and Michael Winterbottom, - it was shown on Channel 4 well over a year ago. I've just watched it and it's basically the book made screen-ready. Excellent viewing, reminded me very much of the Adam Curtis films in both content and style.

Can't embed it unfortunately, but YOU CAN WATCH IT HERE...


@ Annie

You weren't sure of Naomi Klein last time we discussed the subject of Milton Friedman, Free Market Capitalism, etc, Annie, so I'd particularly be interested to hear what you think of this film, if you get some time? :)


Ok kiddo will give it a watch ....I think she makes some very good points in general but seems to miss some other points ....still not sure yet . cheers for the link anyway :thumb: I will get back to you in a few days as my sister is over so I will be busy .


Great, Annie, look forward to hearing your views. :hmmm: I think. :pp:

Image
"TONGUE-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, I"

User avatar
Haunting Beauty
Posts: 4600
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:20 pm
Location: Scotland
Current Mood: Spine chillingly spooky


Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Books

Similar topics

  • Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
    Top of Page

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests