Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

What are you reading at the moment?

Like a good read? You're not the only one! Talk about it here!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Also very recently read the third Frankenstein book from Dean Koontz. I like Dean Koontz, he's always good to dogs in his books!

Dean Koontz is a fab writer,and the Frankenstein books are quality...just finished the fourth one. And I agree,always likes his dogs ...and love the banter between the characters.

Highway Star
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: Rocking as usual!!!

Posted on

I am reading "The Winter House" by Nicci Gerrand. She is one of my favorite authors by far - that's why I am going to present this book in front of my class and just finished doing the booklet printing! Together with her man she also writes thrillers ('Secret Smile' or 'Catch me when I fall'...) - I just think they're great ;)

...you should never give up...

nooby

Posted on

Just finished Last Days by Adam Nevill. It actually succeeded in putting the willies up me. An experience I've not had from a book since I was a callow youth.

paint your wagons and burn your banker, coz the twisted circus is coming to town and there ain't no safety net under the high wire.

- Larry Love.

Smegster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: Puckish

Posted on

I tend to have several on the go at any one time, especially on my Kindle where I down load some of the freebies regularly. :cheers: But then I'm a bit of a snorrer (yiddish for tight! :hyenas: )

Hello from Roger Schwartz, LLB (Hons), Edgware, Greater London.If I'm asked what my pastimes are, I say I was taught to be cautious but greet you well. Those who understand the first part of the sentence will know what my main interests are!

Getting into it now!
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: OK

Posted on

rogerschwartz wrote:I tend to have several on the go at any one time, especially on my Kindle where I down load some of the freebies regularly. :cheers: But then I'm a bit of a snorrer (yiddish for tight! :hyenas: )

I must have some Jewish in my bloodline somewhere then, I've only bought one book for my kindle, got loads from file sharing :D :cheers:
I do like to buy the Hardcover of a book when it's a good one though. :)

Sit on my Facebook!

Posted on

I have me EIpad so I have iBooks but I've also downloaded kindle app, I have several lined up to read. I too like a hardback if its an author that I liked,so far I have the Burton Diaries and Liz Fraser autobiography still to read ah forgot I have Carole Kings book to read as well. Gawd I'll get through I suppose.

:maddy: Image

Forum Slapper Lush
How Hot Are You?: Centre Of The Sun
Current Mood: Eff it.

Posted on

Coming to the end of 'House of Lost Souls' by F.G. Cottam.

Just pre-ordered 'Bloody Nasty People' by Daniel Trilling. An analysis of the rise of the Far Right in Britain.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/oct/25/bloody-nasty-people-daniel-trilling-review?newsfeed=true

paint your wagons and burn your banker, coz the twisted circus is coming to town and there ain't no safety net under the high wire.

- Larry Love.

Smegster

Posted on

Bring Up the Bodies - Hilary Mantel.

- Larry Love.

Smegster

Posted on

Stanley Tweedle wrote:
rogerschwartz wrote:I tend to have several on the go at any one time, especially on my Kindle where I down load some of the freebies regularly. :cheers: But then I'm a bit of a snorrer (yiddish for tight! :hyenas: )

I must have some Jewish in my bloodline somewhere then, I've only bought one book for my kindle, got loads from file sharing :D :cheers:
I do like to buy the Hardcover of a book when it's a good one though. :)

I dunno about that, I mean don't get me wrong I own a LOT of hardbacks, and they're are lovely to own - not so much fun to actually read tho, I always end up with sore wrists n staved thumbs trying to hold the bloody things up! Don't you find it's hard to get comfy with a hardback? Yep, give me a paperback or my Blackberry Playbook for ease of reading ANY TIME!

Currently reading "The Power and the Glory: Inside the Dark Heart of John Paul II's Vatican" by David A. Yallop. The book explores the continued financial scandal involving the Vatican bank, the mafia, Freemasonry, illegal money laundering and arms sales, and attempts to expose the true extent of the Pope's failure to control the child abuse scandal. The book's full of explosive revelations, from the CIA, the KGB, the Polish secret service, and tells for the true story about John Paul II's real involvement in the fall of the Iron Curtain and the liberation of Poland.

I first came across Yallop years ago, when I read :In God's Name: An Investigation into the Murder of Pope John Paul I. I'd been looking for information regarding the Vatican financial corruptions, and it's relation to the Roberto Calvi fraud and subsequent murder trial.

The Vatican Bank, - known by its cover name, The Religious Works Institute, - was at the core of various laundering operations, secretly controlling the shell companies and even Calvi's giant bank, the Bank of Ambrosia. The Vatican had been silencing its creditors with hush money payments, costing of over half a BILLION dollars, while harboring the bank's archbishop Marcincus and his two aides from criminal arrest warrants for over seven years. Only Roberto Calvi's suicide (read murder) - he'd been found hanging from Blackfriars Bridge in 1982 just days before his bank's collapse - removed his personal testimony from demolishing the Vatican's on-going strategy. His family later admitted that Calvi had been going to "name names."

Calvi's elimination prevented the world from learning the full truth about the activities of Licio Gelli and his Vatican Masonic sect "P2" (Propaganda Deu), the secret 'shadow state' whose top-rank membership had been discovered shortly before. Had Calvi's death been investigated properly, Italy government today might have been very different.

"TONGUE-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, I"

Haunting Beauty
Current Mood: Spine chillingly spooky

Posted on

ghostgirl wrote:I dunno about that, I mean don't get me wrong I own a LOT of hardbacks, and they're are lovely to own - not so much fun to actually read tho, I always end up with sore wrists n staved thumbs trying to hold the bloody things up! Don't you find it's hard to get comfy with a hardback? Yep, give me a paperback or my Blackberry Playbook for ease of reading ANY TIME!

I have carefully built up a beerbelly just the right size to rest a good sized hardback on. :D
It's tricky to read a heavy one in the bath though.

I have a trilogy in one massive book. It's like a bloody Oxford Dictionary or a 16th Century Bible.

Eagerly awaiting the next George R.R. Martin book. Wish he'd get his arse in gear.
Got the next Robin Hobb next month though. :thumb:

Sit on my Facebook!

Posted on

Stanley Tweedle wrote:
ghostgirl wrote:I dunno about that, I mean don't get me wrong I own a LOT of hardbacks, and they're are lovely to own - not so much fun to actually read tho, I always end up with sore wrists n staved thumbs trying to hold the bloody things up! Don't you find it's hard to get comfy with a hardback? Yep, give me a paperback or my Blackberry Playbook for ease of reading ANY TIME!

I have carefully built up a beerbelly just the right size to rest a good sized hardback on. :D
It's tricky to read a heavy one in the bath though.

I have a trilogy in one massive book. It's like a bloody Oxford Dictionary or a 16th Century Bible.

Eagerly awaiting the next George R.R. Martin book. Wish he'd get his arse in gear.
Got the next Robin Hobb next month though. :thumb:

Beerbelly, huh?? :elephant:
LOL, maybe reading isn't the best use of you time, try doing more of this: :doggies:

"TONGUE-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, I"

Haunting Beauty
Current Mood: Spine chillingly spooky

Posted on

I may be doing it wrong, better read a book on it. :howl:

Sit on my Facebook!

Posted on

The new Few - Ferdinand Mount
How Mumbo-Jumbo Conquered The World -Francis Wheen

Now working my way through the Rivers Of London series for light relief.

- Larry Love.

Smegster

Posted on

Swing wrote:The new Few - Ferdinand Mount
How Mumbo-Jumbo Conquered The World -Francis Wheen

Now working my way through the Rivers Of London series for light relief.

Rivers of London sounds like my kind of book. If not mine then the missus kind. I'll say I 'discovered' it mind. ;)
:thumb:

Sit on my Facebook!

Posted on

You are awful (but I like you) - Tim Moore

A travelogue of the worst places/hotels/tourist attractions/local delicacies in the UK in a Austin Maestro fitted with an Ozzie Osbourne Satnav ("You have reached your fookin' destination") to a soundtrack of the worst 350+ tracks ever recorded.

Some highlights include his comments on the queue for a coach trip in Hartlepool ("are they evacuating the women?"), a Merthyr Tydfil pub that featured on SKY 3's Britain's Hardest Pubs where the barman took pints of Guinness to a malodorous customer who he then proceeded to spray with air-freshener. ("what can I do?, he spends £30 a day in here"). He did seem to decline a delicacy found in Scotland of a suasage wrapped in kebab meat and then deep fried through. http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/94120/1000-cal-goner-kebab.html

The wit is vicious, but ultimately sympathetic to the places he is ripping the piss out of.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12143106-you-are-awful-but-i-like-you

- Larry Love.

Smegster

Posted on

The packet of biscuits that I found in the cupboard this morning.

Expiry date - March 2001

Should be fine :D

The best facial is a daily facial.

Insane Poster
Current Mood: unknown

Posted on

Channel Hopper wrote:The packet of biscuits that I found in the cupboard this morning.

Expiry date - March 2001

Should be fine :D

Beware the weevils.

- Larry Love.

Smegster

Posted on

The Broken Empire book 2.

Ugh soggy biscuits, ok for dunking maybe.

Sit on my Facebook!

Posted on

Swing wrote:Beware the weevils.

They look completely sealed, besides, to have some protein included would be a bonus.

The best facial is a daily facial.

Insane Poster
Current Mood: unknown

Posted on

Channel Hopper wrote:
Swing wrote:Beware the weevils.

They look completely sealed, besides, to have some protein included would be a bonus.

And a bit of crunch :D

Sit on my Facebook!

PreviousNext

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Books