Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Enid Blyton

Like a good read? You're not the only one! Talk about it here!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

I love the original, unabridged editions. I like the atmosphere of 1950s childhood that they evoke. Must have been quite interesting to be a child back then.

My favourite series was the 'Adventure' books. I love Kiki the cockatoo.

Super Smegster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia

Posted on

The Wishing Chair was my fav along with Malory Towers and Famous Five. I bought lots of her books (probably updated though) for my wee girl for when she is a bit older.

not so noobywooby

Posted on

whimsical oracle wrote:I love the original, unabridged editions. I like the atmosphere of 1950s childhood that they evoke. Must have been quite interesting to be a child back then.

You called ?.............. :D

I only remember reading the Secret Seven and Famous Five.......and i suppose i was reading them in the late 50s, early 60s.........but if you'd asked me then I'd have said they were set in the 20s or 30s............ :D

I preferred 'William'.............

Posted on

Oh yeah. Are the Just William books still in print? They had them on my school class bookshelves... along with Tom Brown's school days... but I never really read them

I like the the way kids spoke back then... "jolly nice", "oh I say", "don't be so beastly"... and my favourite, "pop goes the weasel" :cool1:

Super Smegster

Posted on

juliejukes wrote:The Wishing Chair was my fav along with Malory Towers and Famous Five. I bought lots of her books (probably updated though) for my wee girl for when she is a bit older.

I am surprised Chinky hasn't gone the way of Dame Slap and had his name changed for being potentially offensive...

Super Smegster

Posted on

I liked The Famous Five - but interestingly my kids won't go near any Enid Blyton.

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

MILF

Posted on

I've read a lot of them. Although of the main series, I didn't read too many Secret Seven - did read a few but somehow never got into them as much.

Famous Five
'Adventure' series (Island of Adventure, etc)
Faraway Tree
Wishing Chair
Noddy
Malory Towers
St Clares
Naughtiest Girl
The Find-Outers and dog
Six Cousins at Mistletoe farm

Super Smegster

Posted on

I got box sets of Malory Towers and St Clares form the 70's, though some of the books had to be replaced as they're very worn and I was actually looking at some of them the other day.
They are so polite the way both the children and the parents speak but strangely still managed to get me reading again. Was just very slightly afraid that the books might actually fall to bits.

Are there modern equivelents of these sorts of books, there was just something unique about Enid Blyton boarding school books that at the time I didn't see working in the same way in other series so wondered if theres anything comparable now.

nooby

Posted on

welcome to Smeggy's SadSam :wave:

I have heard people saying JK Rowling and the Harry Potter books are the modern day Enid Blyton boarding school story equivalent. Anyone any thought on that?

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

MILF

Posted on

Thanks for the welcome, Now someones talked to me I feel like I'm a member!

It's funny about kids books these days. In an age where kids dont read much the books that they do actually read are a good 500 pages long aren't they.
I've never managed to stick at Harry Potter neither the book or the film found it far too complicated to follow who was who. When i was young I read loads of books but they were all alot shorter. Enid blyton were probably only around a 100 pages max and the same for the other series I used to read.
Modern technology would probably actually ruin a good boarding school story these days. Well everyone would just be emailing or texting each other all the time if it was going to be true to life so thats probably why theres not as many books written these days and what is written is fantasy. Not sure what sort of story Enid Blyton would come up with in todays society.

nooby

Posted on

whimsical oracle wrote:I love the original, unabridged editions. I like the atmosphere of 1950s childhood that they evoke. Must have been quite interesting to be a child back then.
My favourite series was the 'Adventure' books. I love Kiki the cockatoo.

It was! Childhood was innocent and fun. No reading sinister meanings into almost everything. More community spirit, due no doubt to having endured the war and bombing, folk were glad to be "out from under".

( nostalgic sigh)

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”

I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.

Really Loves Smeggy's
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: hopeful

Posted on

Whirliegig wrote:welcome to Smeggy's SadSam :wave:

I have heard people saying JK Rowling and the Harry Potter books are the modern day Enid Blyton boarding school story equivalent. Anyone any thought on that?

I can't get into JK Rowling: it is too fantasy for me. EB told tales that showed ordinary kids doing adventurous things, that was the appeal. One could identify with her characters.

As a tomboy when young, I identified with 'George' in the "Five" books. ;)

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”

I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

SadSam wrote:Thanks for the welcome, Now someones talked to me I feel like I'm a member!

It's funny about kids books these days. In an age where kids dont read much the books that they do actually read are a good 500 pages long aren't they.
I've never managed to stick at Harry Potter neither the book or the film found it far too complicated to follow who was who. When i was young I read loads of books but they were all alot shorter. Enid blyton were probably only around a 100 pages max and the same for the other series I used to read.
Modern technology would probably actually ruin a good boarding school story these days. Well everyone would just be emailing or texting each other all the time if it was going to be true to life so thats probably why theres not as many books written these days and what is written is fantasy. Not sure what sort of story Enid Blyton would come up with in todays society.

Hi Sam, Enjoy Smeggy's: we all do! :wave:

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

Whirliegig wrote:I liked The Famous Five - but interestingly my kids won't go near any Enid Blyton.

Neither would mine. My mum found a load of my old Enid Blyton books in her loft and I gave them to my daughter... not one of them has been opened.

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

I wonder if the publishers are 'updating' the Blyton books because they fear kids today no longer identify with the 1950s kids of the original text? In terms of the kind of things they did, and the way they spoke, the kind of society it described - like having family cooks and governesses.

I read them in the 80s, when it was obviously of a different era even then, but had no trouble appreciating the stories for what they were - of their time. But the essentials of the stories are timeless.

Super Smegster

Posted on

I was never a huge fan - more into horsey books.

But I did see something the other day about the new Famous Five.

Looks horrendous.

Posted on

whimsical oracle wrote:I wonder if the publishers are 'updating' the Blyton books because they fear kids today no longer identify with the 1950s kids of the original text? In terms of the kind of things they did, and the way they spoke, the kind of society it described - like having family cooks and governesses.

I read them in the 80s, when it was obviously of a different era even then, but had no trouble appreciating the stories for what they were - of their time. But the essentials of the stories are timeless.

I also read them in th early 80's but I hadn't actually realised until now that they were based that far back. To me people that went to boarding school did have cooks and governess's so it didn't seem out of date to me. It was a different class to the world I grew up in and as I always wanted to go to boarding school it never occured to me that if I had been sent it probably wasn't like that even then.
The other series that was coming out at the time was Trebizon and I didn't like that as much, maybe on looking back on it cos it would have been written about what life at boarding school in the 80's would have been like.

I dont think they should play around with old stories. People still read and watch Charles Dickens each xmas and go and see shakespear. In alot of ways if they were to make a true to the original books series of any of the enid blyton stuff I as someone who read those books 30 years ago would quite possibly watch the programs.

nooby

Posted on

I adore St Clares and Malory Towers.

I so wanted to be Darrell. What a fantastic life they had!

Loves Smeggy's

Return to Books