Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

e-readers compared, looking for a new one

Like a good read? You're not the only one! Talk about it here!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

I could really do with buying a new one. I'm thinking of the amazon kindle paperwhite that's just come out. Cant remember which version, it came out last Tuesday though and is £110. Don't know if i should get a basic one though or a kobo or the other one, cant remember its name, or stick to an amazon one.

Anyone got any opinions on different e readers? Not interested in tablets, just e readers thanks. :)

Sit on my Facebook!

Posted on

My neighbour has a Kindle she said no way now could she be without it.Battery last ages as well.

:maddy: Image

Forum Slapper Lush
How Hot Are You?: Centre Of The Sun
Current Mood: Eff it.

Posted on

Have you got a tablet Stan? I've got the Kindle app on my Android tablet and it works very well.

Complete Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

I have as well on my iPad,the only thing is Kindles have a very long battery time as kindles are dedicated e-readers.

:maddy: Image

Forum Slapper Lush
How Hot Are You?: Centre Of The Sun
Current Mood: Eff it.

Posted on

Dolls wrote:I have as well on my iPad,the only thing is Kindles have a very long battery time as kindles are dedicated e-readers.

Yeah true. My tablet lasts about 7 hours with the screen on. So nowhere near as good as a dedicated Kindle, but it does for me. I usually keep it charged though, as I'm using it for other stuff anyway.

Complete Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

Will go with the new paperwhite then. Currently have a kindle, one of the old ones without the keyboard. The battery only lasts a couple of days now so would like a new one.
Don't need a tablet, phone suits me for browsing in bed or on the go, and a laptop suits me for downloading stuff. :) Tablets aren't designed for reading books off of either.

Sit on my Facebook!

Posted on

Stanley Tweedle wrote:Will go with the new paperwhite then. Currently have a kindle, one of the old ones without the keyboard. The battery only lasts a couple of days now so would like a new one.

You can install a new battery you know, unlike some of those modern phone thingies.

And from another post on another thread....

My battery was not holding it's charge so I looked for possible reasons on the net.
I knew I had not left the WiFi on but another suggestion was that if books were failing to index, the Kindle could waste power trying to index them.
To find out you have to go to "Manage my Kindle" on Amazon . In the find section type on a mix of letters that don't make a word i.e. tgyrdo and press to find. If there are books that have not indexed the titles will come up.
Delete these from your Kindle and see if this makes a difference.
I found 5 (fortunately all freebies) which I deleted and did a hard reset by holding the on/off button for 15 seconds and then letting go. The screen goes blank and then the Kindle re-boots itself. Be patient and don't panic, it takes a while!
This seems to have worked though I have bought a new battery as a back-up.
You can then reinstall the deleted books from your Archive and see what happens.

And another

My partner's 2-yo KK battery wasn't holding a charge, and it would hang/freeze after just a day or so, needing a recharge before it would come back to life at all. So I bought a replacement battery from eBay (£10 or so), fitted it - and the replacement just wouldn't charge at all >:( Then tried the ebay battery in my KK, and still no luck, definitely seemed that I'd bought a lemon.

So, kind and noble soul that I am, I swapped MY good battery into my partner's KK, and that worked fine, as expected. Then I put his old knackered battery in my KK, since I'm not using it so much these days. Amazingly, worked fine, and seems to hold its charge well ! So, maybe the apparently knackered battery was OK after all, and just wasn't making a good contact (I'd tried all the usual hard/soft/factory resets).

Moral is, if your battery seems to have died, and it's out of warranty... before buying a replacement, try opening up the Kindle and removing then refitting the battery (google for instructions - fiddly but straightforward if you're careful, using a plastic knife or old credit-card) - you never know, it might just fix the problem!

The best facial is a daily facial.

Insane Poster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: unknown

Posted on

Cool CH, good to know. :thumb:
Though I want to treat myself to a new gadjet. :)

Sit on my Facebook!

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Books