Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Recommend me a Book

Like a good read? You're not the only one! Talk about it here!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

I seem to have got out of the habit of reading lately (I blame the internet!!)

Can you recommend me a good read to get me back into it?

I'm not keen on sci-fi, historical novels or horror/thriller type books.

I guess I like contemporary novels - but not too fluffy! :)




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Behind the Scenes at the Museum by Kate Atkinson. I read it last week and it probably comes in my top 10 favourite books :)



not so nooby
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:05 am

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Middlesex!! It's by Jeffrey Eugenides and it's the best book ever.



User avatar
nooby
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:01 am
How Hot Are You?: Siberia

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Thank you trinity and Pam :)

I'll look out for those two and let you know what I think!




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

I used to read a lot, bit don't any more, so i cant really join in this thread...though I wish I could!

I've kind of gone off fiction really anyway, and mostly read non-fiction now if I read anything at all, or the New Statesman if I can find it in the newsagents.

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

User avatar
MILF
Posts: 11299
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:01 pm
Location: Always Argyll

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Anything by Amy Tan such as 'The Joy Luck Club'. Contemporary fiction without being horror/thriller etc and not too fluffy!! :)



User avatar
Really Loves the Place!
Posts: 913
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:15 pm

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Ms Honey wrote:I seem to have got out of the habit of reading lately (I blame the internet!!)

Can you recommend me a good read to get me back into it?

I'm not keen on sci-fi, historical novels or horror/thriller type books.

I guess I like contemporary novels - but not too fluffy! :)

You might like Thinking of You by Jill Mansell... it's about a single mum whose daughter goes off to university and she has to kick start a new life for herself. It is a wee bit fluffy, but I enjoyed it cos I could relate to it, thinking I'm not too far off from being in that situation.....


she says hopefully!! ;) :lol:

Image

User avatar
Really Loves Smeggy's
Posts: 2202
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:18 pm

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

The Grass Crown...I'm in it ;)

No greater friend, no worse enemy.

User avatar
On three rolls!!
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:16 am

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

The last three books i have finished have been great. Two are biographies. Stephen Fry - Moab Is My Washpot. I found this incredibly addictive and so funny, typical Fry. If you laugh at him on QI or enjoyed his documentary's on depression and aids then i can really recommend this. The other is Rupert Everett - Red Carpet and Other Banana Skins - a very amusing book of someone that has had a bizarre upbringing.
The other book i have really enjoyed is Big Babies or: Why Cant We Just All Grow Up? by Michael Bywater. This is an amusing look at why we do not act like grown ups. Why do we all act like kids at every opportunity. If you enjoy a bit of sharp observation humour, with a little light psychology thrown in for good measure then go and enjoy.




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts


(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shantaram_(film)#Film_adaptation)

Its AMAZING.

Its about a drug addict and gangster who escapes from an Australian prison and ends up living in India as a fake Doctor. He gets involved with the Indian 'mafia' and its just brilliant.

Its a true story and the guy who wrote it had to re-write it three times as guards kept finding the book whilst he was in prison and destroying it.

Its getting made into a film starring Johnny Depp for 2009 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0429087/plotsummary) So you MUST read the book first - it will blow your mind.




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Complicy, or Whit, or The Crow Road - Ian Banks
Spanky, or Phsychoville, or Disturbia - Christopher Fowler

Both are masters of contemporary fiction.

We're about as similar as two completely dissimilar things in a pod.
- Blackadder

User avatar
Really Loves Smeggy's
Posts: 1516
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:45 am
Location: Down Under
How Hot Are You?: Scorchio!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

chickensoup wrote:Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts


(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shantaram_(film)#Film_adaptation)

Its AMAZING.

Its about a drug addict and gangster who escapes from an Australian prison and ends up living in India as a fake Doctor. He gets involved with the Indian 'mafia' and its just brilliant.

Its a true story and the guy who wrote it had to re-write it three times as guards kept finding the book whilst he was in prison and destroying it.

Its getting made into a film starring Johnny Depp for 2009 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0429087/plotsummary) So you MUST read the book first - it will blow your mind.

That sounds great! As I began to read your synopsis, I thought it sounded a rather far fetched plot, but I'm intrigued now that I know it's a true story.

Thanks for your suggestion :)




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

sprenger wrote:Complicy, or Whit, or The Crow Road - Ian Banks
Spanky, or Phsychoville, or Disturbia - Christopher Fowler

Both are masters of contemporary fiction.


I've read Whit and The Crow Road - both an excellent read :)

I really must get my ass off this forum and get reading again!!




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Ms Honey wrote:
sprenger wrote:Complicy, or Whit, or The Crow Road - Ian Banks
Spanky, or Phsychoville, or Disturbia - Christopher Fowler

Both are masters of contemporary fiction.


I've read Whit and The Crow Road - both an excellent read :)

I really must get my ass off this forum and get reading again!!


I've read the Crow Road and I kind of struggled with it. In the end I missed out big chunks ( all the childhood stuff) - and it really irritated me all the references to cheesy 1980s pop songs. (ok, so it wasn't every page, but it was often enough for me to think, when's the next one popping up, which was distracting..). However, I did stick with it to the end and felt quite sadly bereft when it was over... I'm thinking of having a go at the Steep Approach to Garbadale.

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

User avatar
MILF
Posts: 11299
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:01 pm
Location: Always Argyll

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Ms Honey wrote:
chickensoup wrote:Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts


(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shantaram_(film)#Film_adaptation)

Its AMAZING.

Its about a drug addict and gangster who escapes from an Australian prison and ends up living in India as a fake Doctor. He gets involved with the Indian 'mafia' and its just brilliant.

Its a true story and the guy who wrote it had to re-write it three times as guards kept finding the book whilst he was in prison and destroying it.

Its getting made into a film starring Johnny Depp for 2009 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0429087/plotsummary) So you MUST read the book first - it will blow your mind.

That sounds great! As I began to read your synopsis, I thought it sounded a rather far fetched plot, but I'm intrigued now that I know it's a true story.

Thanks for your suggestion :)


I thought the same also ms honey but its not far fetched at all. It does appear to be though, when reading the synopsis! I challange you to not be addicted to this book. Its a fantastic read. :thumb:




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Atonement by Ian McEwan - good book - i was surprised!

Stop the World I wanna get off!

User avatar
On a roll!
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: Am lost, I turned left when I should have gone right - I think
How Hot Are You?: Siberia

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Ruby Shoes wrote:Anything by Amy Tan such as 'The Joy Luck Club'. Contemporary fiction without being horror/thriller etc and not too fluffy!! :)

Yes, that was very good!

I'd recommend House of Spirits by Isabel Allende
and
A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth
and
Sour Sweet Timothy Mo.



User avatar
Loves The place!
Posts: 567
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:14 pm
Location: By the sea
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Books are for nerds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Switch on the TV instead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Really Hooked!
Posts: 399
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:32 pm

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

No, read a book whilst watching TV! :thumb:



User avatar
Loves The place!
Posts: 567
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:14 pm
Location: By the sea
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

kimi wrote:No, read a book whilst watching TV! :thumb:


No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

















It's read a book whilst having a shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Really Hooked!
Posts: 399
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:32 pm

Next

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Books

Similar topics

  • Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
    Top of Page

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron