Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Calum's Road

Like a good read? You're not the only one! Talk about it here!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

I feel quite honoured really - its a nice feeling to be able to catch someones interest like that.

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

User avatar
MILF
Posts: 11299
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:01 pm
Location: Always Argyll

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Whirliegig wrote:I feel quite honoured really - its a nice feeling to be able to catch someones interest like that.


Thanks Whirlie, great book, glad I read it after Gideon Mack though. Considering it's nearly 200 years old the writing could have been done yesterday. Satan always has the best philosophy. ;)




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

phew - glad you enjoyed it...its always a concern when you recommend a book that its not going to be a reciprocal appreciation.

Tell me though, why you are glad to have read Gideon Mack first....because it somehow diminishes that book, or helps understand the Justified Sinner? I'm curious....

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

User avatar
MILF
Posts: 11299
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:01 pm
Location: Always Argyll

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Whirliegig wrote:phew - glad you enjoyed it...its always a concern when you recommend a book that its not going to be a reciprocal appreciation.

Tell me though, why you are glad to have read Gideon Mack first....because it somehow diminishes that book, or helps understand the Justified Sinner? I'm curious....



I'm not so sure about Gideon Mack now and am agreeably confused. There are a lot of plot 'coincidences', but then I think, does Mack make the 'justified' argument as per Hogg, does Mack accept predetermined salvation, or does the book take the 'justified' argument to the ultimate level with an argument of possible predetermined salvation for self-confessed, complete non-believers? I thought the book was just about some bloke who may or may not have met the Devil. I'm going to have to read Gideon Mack again aren't I. :confused: :)

One point, if you are an adherent to the 'Elect' philosophy, why all the dourness.. :chin:




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

whoops BC - didnt see your last post


In answer, personally, I blame the weather and the midges. Really. well the weather anyway. we're all so hunched up and braced against the wind and rain...not good for the soul.


Raasay House burnt down two nights ago...


Image

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7836274.stm


so no school trip for my boy this year up there then.

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

User avatar
MILF
Posts: 11299
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:01 pm
Location: Always Argyll

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Whirliegig wrote:whoops BC - didnt see your last post


In answer, personally, I blame the weather and the midges. Really. well the weather anyway. we're all so hunched up and braced against the wind and rain...not good for the soul.


Raasay House burnt down two nights ago...


Image

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7836274.stm


so no school trip for my boy this year up there then.


Ghost of some dispossessed crofter getting even?




Previous

Return to Books

Similar topics

  • Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
    Top of Page

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests