Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Richard and Judy 2008 Booklist

Like a good read? You're not the only one! Talk about it here!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

It has been announced and the list is normally a great selection of whats worth reading, and i have only read one of the list so will be checking the rest out.
The Outcast - Sadie Jones
No Time For Goodbye - Linwood Barclay
East Of The Sun - Julia Gregson
Down River - John Hart
The Pirate's Daughter - Margaret Cezair-Thompson
The Private Lives Of Pippa Lee - Rebecca Miller
Addition - Toni Jordan
The Resurrectionist - James Bradley

The one i have read is Down River by John Hart, if you enjoyed his debut The King of Lies then you will love this. Its far better, but that is just my opinion. :) The book is about the main characters arrest for murder five years previously. He was arrested because of his step mums testimony against him, he was acquitted. The problem is everyone including the rest of his family still think he did it. All this time he has avoided his family but now he has to face them. A real fantastic read that is so atmospheric, John Hart build great pictures with the words.

The debut novel by the daughter of playwright Arthur Miller has made the cut for Richard Madeley and Judy Finnigan's Summer Read shortlist.

The eight books on this year's influential list are almost guaranteed to fly off the shelves.

All the titles set to benefit are by first time or emerging authors.

But Rebecca Miller, 45, daughter of Death of a Salesman author Miller and wife of Daniel Day-Lewis, is already an established writer.

She is already known for her work as a scriptwriter, actress and director but The Private Lives Of Pippa Lee is Miller's first novel.

The other books on the list include The Outcast by Sadie Jones, No Time For Goodbye by Linwood Barclay, East Of The Sun by Julia Gregson, Down River by John Hart, and The Pirate's Daughter by Margaret Cezair-Thompson. Two of the works are by Australian authors - Addition by Toni Jordan and The Resurrectionist by James Bradley.

Endorsement by Channel 4 talk show hosts Madeley and Finnigan can boost the sales of some titles by 3,000%.

Former beneficiaries have included Kate Mosse's Labyrinth and Richard Benson's The Farm, which have shot to the top of the best-seller charts.

Richard and Judy executive producer Amanda Ross said: "I'm delighted to be able to help so many new authors get attention with Summer Read.

"This year's diverse list is a snapshot of the wealth of extraordinary new talent that is out there, and I hope that readers will be swept away by the quality of storytelling that's made the final cut."

Madeley said: "These eight titles differ in narrative content vastly, meaning there is something for everyone, but what they all possess is that sense of escapism that holidays are all about.

"The stand-out factor in a Summer Read book is that it becomes as much a part of the holiday as everything else around you."

Finnigan said: "A captivating and distracting holiday book is a rare find these days, and we are so glad we have been able to come up with eight titles which we are sure people will enjoy as much as we have."

Has anyone read any of the other books? Do you class the Richard and Judy list as worthwhile reads?

Posted on

Not a one, although I think I may have read a couple in previous years. Certainly worthwhile for the authors and publishers. :D

Posted on

I m interested in the Richard and Judy list because its a useful indicator of populist-serious fiction...ie, nothing really heavy, but no chick-lit either.

Its useful for ideas - kick starts my book-finding apetite

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

MILF

Posted on

http://www.richardandjudybookclub.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10101&catalogId=15201&langId=100

really good website actually. I'm enjoying exploring it.

Feeling very suspicious though of Editor's Choice recommendations, since it was revealed that publishers have to pay Waterstones to be "recommended"

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

MILF

Posted on

remember this?

The hidden price of a Christmas bestseller
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/article1945931.ece

Every day thousands of shoppers decide to buy a new book because Waterstone’s prominently displays or recommends it.

The reader may imagine that merit alone has inspired the country’s largest book chain to champion the volume now resting in their hands. The truth is a little less romantic.

In a confidential letter to publishers seen by The Times, Waterstone’s has set out what it expects them to pay if they want their books to be well promoted in its network of more than 300 stores this Christmas.

The most expensive package, available for only six books and designed to “maximise the potential of the biggest titles for Christmas”, costs £45,000 per title. The next category down offers prominent display spots at the front of each branch to about 45 new books for £25,000. Inclusion on the Paperbacks of the Year list costs up to £7,000 for each book, while an entry in Waterstone’s Gift Guide, with a book review, is a relative snip at £500.

meanwhile at Borders...

... bookshop staff vote to decide the book of the month, while schools are polled to find the children’s book of the month. But the publishers still have to pay an undisclosed fee for the chosen book to be awarded the accolade.

Anthony Cheetham, the chairman of Quercus books, a small independent publisher, said: “It’s not a system you can opt out of. If Smith’s offer you one of these slots and you say no, their order doesn’t go down from 1,000 copies to 500 copies. It goes down to 20 copies.”

One of Quercus’s biggest successes is The Tenderness of Wolves by Stef Penney. It won the Costa Book of the Year award for 2006 but will not make the booksellers’ Christmas selections unless Quercus pays the going rate, Mr Cheetham said.

What it costs

£45,000 For one book to appear in window and front-of-store displays, and in Waterstone’s national press and TV advertisement campaign

£25,000 To feature in a bay at front of store as a ‘gift book’ in its genre and be displayed at the till

£17,000 To be one of two titles promoted as the ‘offer of the week’ for one week in the run-up to Christmas

£7,000 To be displayed at front of store as a ‘paperback of the year’ and be mentioned in newspaper adverts.

£500 Price of an entry in Waterstone’s Christmas gift guide, complete with a bookseller review

So am I being too cynical in thinking money might be involved in the Richard and Judy Booklist?

MILF

Posted on

Your not cynical at all, but this sort of thing has been going on for years. Take your HMV, Zavvi or Woolworths. Companys pay a fortune to have a certain product displayed on a certain shelf, or at eye level. Even your grocery shopping in Tesco or Asda or whatever place you choose, someone is trying to out smart you by spending days working out line-plans on what beans should go on what shelf.

I knew money changes hands in Waterstones, but i tend to stick to independent reviews when buying a book. Yes seeing something has been awarded "best bullshit ever" accolade might make me pick it up but normally nothing more.

As with everything these days people are always trying to make money out of the gullible.

Posted on

yes, i know...but it was a bit depressing finding out that the ones they "recommend" are paid for ( not just the ones displayed prominently)

There's something rather more deceitful about that somehow...specially with such a personal, individual purchase as a book.

Or am I just being too fanciful and romantic that literature should somehow be aloof from such marketing practices ( well I know the answer to that really)

MILF

Posted on

Whirliegig wrote:yes, i know...but it was a bit depressing finding out that the ones they "recommend" are paid for ( not just the ones displayed prominently)

There's something rather more deceitful about that somehow...specially with such a personal, individual purchase as a book.

Or am I just being too fanciful and romantic that literature should somehow be aloof from such marketing practices ( well I know the answer to that really)

Your not be too romantic, at all so don't worry.

Look at it this way you walk into a gallery to buy a painting, are they arranged any old how on the wall or floor? No a great deal of attention has been put into it to hang those painting just right, so they look there best. I have even seen personal reviews and artist interviews with paintings to try and make them sell. I just see this as the same as a supermarket sadly.

This could turn into a what more important food or art debate. We have all become obsessed with money that the problem.

Posted on

I bought Addition and The Private Lives Of Pippa Lee yesterday, I'm looking forward to reading them.

Getting into it now!
How Hot Are You?: Scorchio!

Posted on

hi Mooey! :wave:

Did you buy them after seeing they were on the R&J recommended list? or is it coincidence that you bought them, and now see that they are both included?

Do report back with your thought s on them - hope they are good reads!

MILF

Posted on

Whirliegig wrote:hi Mooey! :wave:

Did you buy them after seeing they were on the R&J recommended list? or is it coincidence that you bought them, and now see that they are both included?

Do report back with your thought s on them - hope they are good reads!

I had seen Addition in the bookshop before but didn't buy it as I brought four other books at the time. :oops:

I saw that they were both included in the R&J list and checked the reviews out on amazon. They both got good reviews so when I went to the bookshop the other day I got them.

I quite often use heat magazine as a guide for books - I have come across a few good books though it. :thumb:

Getting into it now!

Posted on

Mooey wrote:I bought Addition and The Private Lives Of Pippa Lee yesterday, I'm looking forward to reading them.

Watcha Mooey! Nice to see you back :thumb:

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:
Mooey wrote:I bought Addition and The Private Lives Of Pippa Lee yesterday, I'm looking forward to reading them.

Watcha Mooey! Nice to see you back :thumb:

Cheers Smeggypants! :D

Getting into it now!

Posted on

Mooey wrote:I had seen Addition in the bookshop before but didn't buy it as I brought four other books at the time. :oops:

I saw that they were both included in the R&J list and checked the reviews out on amazon. They both got good reviews so when I went to the bookshop the other day I got them.

I quite often use heat magazine as a guide for books - I have come across a few good books though it. :thumb:

Heat magazine! :D ( good for them! :thumb: - recommending decent books)

starrofurby posted a good book finding website the other day

http://www.whatshouldireadnext.com

http://www.smeggys.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=5404#p108039

MILF

Posted on

Did the The Resurrectionist - James Bradley while I was on holiday. it was OK but nothing to get over excited about.

Return to Books