Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Moorcock - Pyat Quartet

Like a good read? You're not the only one! Talk about it here!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Just finished the quartet. Maxim Arturovitch Pyat must be one of the best anti-heroes ever to grace fiction. Born on 01/01/00 the self-delusional, bisexual, cocaine snorting ,engineer, inventor, spy, anti-Semite fascist is the narrator of his version of 20th Century history up to the 1970s. Brilliant books.

The Quartet -

Byzantium Endures
The Laughter of Carthage
Jerusalem Commands
The Vengeance of Rome

Posted on

I have been tempted so many times to read these, but find Moorcock's style not to engrossing or easy to follow for some reason. I am seriously thinking if its worth putting some effort in as so many not only love the books but love the hero, or as you put it BC anti-hero.

As far as anti-heroes go it will take something to beat my fav, "Dude" Lebowski.

Posted on

staroffurby wrote:I have been tempted so many times to read these, but find Moorcock's style not to engrossing or easy to follow for some reason. I am seriously thinking if its worth putting some effort in as so many not only love the books but love the hero, or as you put it BC anti-hero.

As far as anti-heroes go it will take something to beat my fav, "Dude" Lebowski.

Yeah but this bloke is totally nasty as well.

One of the nice things about the books is that Moorcock is well down with the historical detail, so it tends to act as a distraction with Pyat bungling his way through it. His meeting with the likes of Rohm and Hitler are hilarious and basically completely rips the piss out of Hitler. Well worth the read.

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Books