Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Classic or favourite books you return to...old friends

Like a good read? You're not the only one! Talk about it here!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

books you read again and again...

for me its anything by the Brontes, especially Wuthering Heights and the Tenant of Wildfell Hall.

Im a mad Bronte maniac actually - although I also love Pride and Prejudice and have re-read it often ( but only in the summer, its definitely a happy, fair weather book for me) and others by Jane Austen Ive never felt the need to live her life, visit her places or devour every biography .

I rememebr the first time I visited Haworth, we were in the pub here, and Id been talking about Brighton, what a great place it is, and then suddenly we were in the car heading down the motorway in a mad wild ride for a weekend there.

A few hundred miles and some hours later though , somewhere in the north of England we realised perhaps Brighton was actually rather optimistic and pulled over and spent rest of the night in a service station car park - and in the morning ( well, it was kind of morning by then anyway) worked out we were about level with Haworth, and so headed over there.

And its such an atmospheric place, completely enthralling - Ive been back since, but that first trip was so magical because its somewhere Id wanted to go since i was a kid.

So yes, Wuthering Heights, the Tenant of Wildfell Hall and Agnes Grey, books I return to

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

MILF

Posted on

I've done most of George Orwell's books a few times, and Sherlock Holmes. I've read The Quincunx and The Unburied by Charles Pallister twice, about time for a third reading.

Posted on

Harry Harrison- The Stainless Steel Rat series and other titles.
Ursula Le Guin- The Wisard of Earthsea trilogy.
C.S. Lewis- The Chronicles of Narnia
J.R.R. Tolkien- The lord of the Rings.
Aldous Huxley- Brave New World.

Last but, all time favourite;
Richard Sapir- The Far Arena

Sadly, I lent my copy to someone who absconded with it and I think it's now out of print.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Far_Arena

Pictures of me naked viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10495

Super Smegsterwegsta
Current Mood: Down, down, deeper and down.

Posted on

Like Whirlie i do love Bronte, but i do find myself returning to various modern works too. Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy by the late great Douglas Adams is one i return too, plus John Irving World According to Garp.

Posted on

I practically never read a book more than once, yet I'll watch a film over and over again.

Really Hooked!

Posted on

My favourite fiction book of all time is The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien.
http://www.bookslut.com/fiction/2003_12_001145.php

My favourite non-fiction is The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson.
http://www.DevilInTheWhiteCity.com

Other authors I'm a big fan of are Philip K Dick, John Dickson Carr/Carter Dickson (he writes just the best murder mysteries - locked room mysteries being his speciality), & Stephen Leacock.
I used to like Tom Robbins (Even Cowgirls Get the Blues, etc.) very much but I find his style a bit tedious now. H2G2 is a favourite as well.

Edit.
Ooo! And Edgar Allan Poe. Brilliant. I also like H. G. Wells but his writing is less literary and more in the style of reporting.

This has been a ThinBoy quality post

Loves The place!
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

I read The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett when I was about 11. There is something really magical about that book and I have read it several times since. It was first published in 1909 so will soon be 100 years old.

Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

ThinBoy wrote:My favourite fiction book of all time is The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien.
http://www.bookslut.com/fiction/2003_12_001145.php

My favourite non-fiction is The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson.

Other authors I'm a big fan of are Philip K Dick, John Dickson Carr/Carter Dickson (he writes just the best murder mysteries - locked room mysteries being his speciality), & Stephen Leacock.
I used to like Tom Robbins (Even Cowgirls Get the Blues, etc.) very much but I find his style a bit tedious now. H2G2 is a favourite as well.

Edit.
Ooo! And Edgar Allan Poe. Brilliant. I also like H. G. Wells but his writing is less literary and more in the style of reporting.

I used to love Tom Robbins too - but I found eventually it was all too samey. But suddenly I have a hankering again!

Still life With Woodpecker

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

MILF

Posted on

Ms Honey wrote:I read The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett when I was about 11. There is something really magical about that book and I have read it several times since. It was first published in 1909 so will soon be 100 years old.

And when a book has a cover like that one, you just have to keep returning to it...

Kids books I re-read often were Tom Sawyer and Little Women, and one called the Cuckoo Clock ( by Mrs Molesworth), and I still have my childhood copy, which had originally been my mothers.

MILF

Posted on

When I saw this thread title, the book that immediately sprang to mind was "The Complete Reginald Perrin" by David Nobbs.

I've read it over & over again, and it still makes me laugh out loud. Even if I'm reading it on the train :D

Loves The place!
How Hot Are You?: Scorchio!
Current Mood: Tired but happy

Posted on

Whirliegig wrote:
I used to love Tom Robbins too - but I found eventually it was all too samey. But suddenly I have a hankering again!

Still life With Woodpecker

I liked Even Cowgirls & Still Life with Woodpecker. I could only get half way through Jitterbug Perfume. I've got Skinny Legs (the book I mean!) but haven't tried it yet.

Another classic that I love is (are?) Alice's Adventures Underground & Through the Looking Glass.
Richmal Crompton is another fave - the William Books are just great.

Loves The place!

Posted on

Its so long ago now that I read them Ive forgotten the details . Still Life With Woodpecker was my first and i loved it - and I remember Cowgirls - Im a bit hazier on the others- although i do rememeber struggling with one towards the end. But now that youve reminded me , Im going to have another look. I just loved his way with words, so funny and clever.

MILF

Posted on

ThinBoy wrote:My favourite non-fiction is The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson.

An absolutely classic book. I've reccommend at every opportunity.

Posted on

... But don't read the bit of the website about The Fair - it contains spoilers!

Loves The place!

Posted on

It is gripping and you get right into the mind of Anna - but more than that - you get an understanding of an entire society on the brink of change.

Smeggy's only D23 Member

Really Loves Smeggy's
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: In lurve

Posted on

Wide Sargasso Sea - Jean Rhys, and yes there's the added allure of the Bronte connection but its a wonderful stand alone book and needs no Bronte spin off tag to make it worthwhile reading.

Had a look in the local bookshop today...but absolutely no Tom Robbins books in stock.

MILF

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Books