Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

I dont read.

Like a good read? You're not the only one! Talk about it here!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

I don't read fiction. I like to read articles on the Net about various subjects.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 120404
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

I've noticed that there are more and more books being published on teh Net now as well. Isn't it Google that's doing a deal to make a whole new load of works available? Or is it Microsoft? I forget now. :oops:

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 120404
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

smeggypants wrote:I've noticed that there are more and more books being published on teh Net now as well. Isn't it Google that's doing a deal to make a whole new load of works available? Or is it Microsoft? I forget now. :oops:

:cool1:

It's amazing this internet thingy innit.



Sit on my Facebook!
Posts: 11555
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:01 pm

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Whirliegig wrote:because of the babes GIR?

Thats it for me anyway - always on call, no time to settle down and indulge.

tbh though, Im somewhat bemused now as to the point of fiction anyway . Seems like such a waste of precious time


I think that's a shame. It's exactly what stopped me reading for years though. i was at Uni doing a Masters and a PhD and when I had any time to be reading I felt I should be reading stuff for my theses and that fiction was so pointless and a waste of precious time.

I'm so glad i can read now. I love escaping into a good book. I would make reading a big part of my children's lives if I'd had any. I can picture myself in my kids bedrooms at night which would be very fantasy-like and safe with their very own little libraries, settling down to read at night, doing all the voices and accents, which I'm good at...and just hopefully, creating for them a rich fantasy life which they'll draw comfort from later in life. I know I have great memories of the books I read as a child (I wasn't read to, needless to say) and still have very vivid images in my mind of the scenes I generated to go along with many of the stories. i often wish I could still disappear into a fantasy world like that now.

Do your kids read a lot, whirls?




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

I used to read a lot but am a bit of an intermittent reader now. I didn't go to uni until I was in my 30s and spent several years reading books linked to my degree and general professional development - this seemed to get my out of the habit of reading for enjoyment and escapism.

I find I am very busy these days so if I start a book, unless it grabs me and really pulls me in, I'm unlikely to get round to finishing it. When I do find a good book, I wonder why I don't give reading higher priority in my life?!



User avatar
Loves Smeggy's
Posts: 1028
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:39 pm
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

I’ve read about a book a week ever since I can remember. I forget some and get them muddled, but I remember the best ones. I like reading in the bath.

I saw the Da Vinci Code mentioned on here. I think that’s a heap of shite and full of errors. I seem to remembered that Versailles was north of Paris in that book.



User avatar
Loves Smeggy's
Posts: 1115
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:16 pm

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

I just adore reading but have stopped for sometime, i am slowly getting back to reading. I did read a huge amount and have a love for the classics and travel writing. I adore writing and have even been known to make money from it, the problem was i started being over critical with everything i was reading. I was ripping it to shreds and not enjoying it for what it was. So my reading sort of dried up. I found as my reading dried up so did my writing. After several months i have been able to pick a book again and start reading without picking holes in it, so hopefully my writing will follow again.

Can you see a vicious circle here?




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

staroffurby wrote:I just adore reading but have stopped for sometime, i am slowly getting back to reading. I did read a huge amount and have a love for the classics and travel writing. I adore writing and have even been known to make money from it, the problem was i started being over critical with everything i was reading. I was ripping it to shreds and not enjoying it for what it was. So my reading sort of dried up. I found as my reading dried up so did my writing. After several months i have been able to pick a book again and start reading without picking holes in it, so hopefully my writing will follow again.

Can you see a vicious circle here?


Have you read Mark Twain’s travel books. I found them an absolute delight.



User avatar
Loves Smeggy's
Posts: 1115
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:16 pm

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

stinkymouse wrote:I havent read a book since i left school 15 years ago,i dont have the patience to read a book,even when we did "of mice and men" in english class i cheated and watched the movie...did read "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" to my kids once(he turns into a butterfly,how cool is that?)


I love that book. In Dutch it's called Rupsje Nooit-genoeg, which means Little caterpillar Not Enough, and that makes me laugh every time. I was given as gifts, for a laugh and it worked, these books and I absolutely love them....Now all I need are some children to read them to! The ones I have are in Dutch. great for learning the language :rofl:


Image

Image




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Gemo52 wrote:Have you read Mark Twain’s travel books. I found them an absolute delight.


i loved The Innocents Abroad, should read more of his writings. Sure i haven't read them all, something very engrossing about his style too.




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

ariane wrote:
Whirliegig wrote:because of the babes GIR?

Thats it for me anyway - always on call, no time to settle down and indulge.

tbh though, Im somewhat bemused now as to the point of fiction anyway . Seems like such a waste of precious time


I think that's a shame. It's exactly what stopped me reading for years though. i was at Uni doing a Masters and a PhD and when I had any time to be reading I felt I should be reading stuff for my theses and that fiction was so pointless and a waste of precious time.

I'm so glad i can read now. I love escaping into a good book. I would make reading a big part of my children's lives if I'd had any. I can picture myself in my kids bedrooms at night which would be very fantasy-like and safe with their very own little libraries, settling down to read at night, doing all the voices and accents, which I'm good at...and just hopefully, creating for them a rich fantasy life which they'll draw comfort from later in life. I know I have great memories of the books I read as a child (I wasn't read to, needless to say) and still have very vivid images in my mind of the scenes I generated to go along with many of the stories. i often wish I could still disappear into a fantasy world like that now.

Do your kids read a lot, whirls?


yeah my kids read a lot - so although I dont manage much reading myself now, Ive managed to create a culture of books in the house.

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

User avatar
MILF
Posts: 11299
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:01 pm
Location: Always Argyll

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

[quote="Stanley Tweedle"][/quote]

Just noticed your signature..... :)

It just has to be THE best UK-series ever... so many wonderful quotes...

'an angel has no memory'

User avatar
Loves The place!
Posts: 621
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:43 pm
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: unknown

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Socha wrote:
Stanley Tweedle wrote:


Just noticed your signature..... :)

It just has to be THE best UK-series ever... so many wonderful quotes...

My favourite Red Dwarf quote is when Kryten visits Earth for the first time and he looks at the tall trees all around him and says
"I've never been to Earth before - I've only seen it on photographs. It's exactly like I always imagined, only much shorter."
:D

This has been a ThinBoy quality post

User avatar
Loves The place!
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:18 pm
Location: Another fine mess
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

I do try to read when I can but I rarely get the time now and when I do I'm often far too tired to take anything in and keep reading the same line/page over and over again and still it doesn't sink in. :o I've got a great pile of books I'm yet to get round to reading.



Misanthropic Trucker
Posts: 8164
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:07 pm
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

No Chance wrote:I do try to read when I can but I rarely get the time now and when I do I'm often far too tired to take anything in and keep reading the same line/page over and over again and still it doesn't sink in. :o I've got a great pile of books I'm yet to get round to reading.


Could you safely listen to audiobooks in your cab, No Chance? I've got into them in a big way now, although I never thought I would.




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

ariane wrote:Could you safely listen to audiobooks in your cab, No Chance? I've got into them in a big way now, although I never thought I would.

Funnily enough, I was looking at some the other day and was considering it seriously. Knowing me I'd get so immersed in it I'd lose track of what I was doing and plough into someone's prized gnome collection. :o

"HGV Driver In Gnome Wreckage Horror; Andy McNab Audio Book Blamed For Distraction. Ninety Prized Gnomes Crushed; Owner Horrified."

The papers would have a field day. :x

It is a good idea though, Ariane, providing I can keep my concentration whilst driving. :o



Misanthropic Trucker
Posts: 8164
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:07 pm
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Socha wrote:
Stanley Tweedle wrote:


Just noticed your signature..... :)

It just has to be THE best UK-series ever... so many wonderful quotes...


Isn't it just Socha. :wave:



Sit on my Facebook!
Posts: 11555
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:01 pm

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

No Chance wrote:
ariane wrote:Could you safely listen to audiobooks in your cab, No Chance? I've got into them in a big way now, although I never thought I would.

Funnily enough, I was looking at some the other day and was considering it seriously. Knowing me I'd get so immersed in it I'd lose track of what I was doing and plough into someone's prized gnome collection. :o

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:




Previous

Return to Books

Similar topics

  • Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
    Top of Page

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests