Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Enid Blyton *Fives Books*

Like a good read? You're not the only one! Talk about it here!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Did you read them as a kiddie! I did and I loved them.....Couldnt get enough of them....... :thumb: What amazed me was the *hampers* of grub they had...... :hmmm: I never had that as a kid. Mind you I think they (the kids) were from a *middle Class* family!

Not being funny but it was the language in the book......*Jolly Jumpers what* ?! PMSL but I still loved em. :oops:

Forum Slapper Lush
How Hot Are You?: Centre Of The Sun
Current Mood: Eff it.

Posted on

Wasn't it all a bit politically correct and moralistic

Spawned a few schoolboy jokes...

"Five go anal fisting in the woods"

"Five go a suicide bombing"

etc, etc

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

My sisters read them ... an bunty an Jackie an got the xmas annuals every year at Xmas

12 cans of Stella
Current Mood: hopeful

Posted on

I read loads of them as a kid. :oops:

Whether long range weapon or suicide bomber a wicked mind is a weapon of mass destruction whether you're soar away sun or BBC 1 misinformation is a weapon of mass destruc you could a Caucasian or a poor Asian racism is a weapon of mass destruction whether inflation or globalization fear is a weapon of mass destruction whether Halliburton or Enron or anyone greed is a weapon of mass destruction we need to find courage, overcome inaction is a weapon of mass destruction

Bra Burning Hippy
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: waiting

Posted on

yeah I used to buy them - would save up my pocket money and cycle down to the shop . I think they cost 20p.

this was my era of covers

Image Image Image Image

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

MILF

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:Wasn't it all a bit politically correct and moralistic

etc, etc

:rofl: :rofl: I suppose you could look at them now like that but when your a kid you like to read *adventure*stories and they were great for any kid..It's not until you get that bit older and look back! Edith Blyton was a *lady* :hmmm: I think personally her stories were for the *upper classes* We (lower classes) just got the books out of the library..... :rofl:

Forum Slapper Lush

Posted on

Far happier days back then ..

12 cans of Stella

Posted on

I loved everything Enid Blyton wrote - from Mr Pinkwhistle to Mallory Towers, I read and re-read them dozens of times. I still have them all somewhere, I'll read them again one day no doubt. :D

Be yourself - everyone else is already taken.

Really Loves Smeggy's
How Hot Are You?: Sahara
Current Mood: Sad

Posted on

I used to come home with the new *Fives* book rush home..gobble me tea down and go to bed just so I could read the book! Until mum or dad turned the light out in the bedroom. :mad1:

Forum Slapper Lush

Posted on

Deb Arkle wrote:I loved everything Enid Blyton wrote - from Mr Pinkwhistle to Mallory Towers, I read and re-read them dozens of times. I still have them all somewhere, I'll read them again one day no doubt. :D

Awww I'd love to read them all but I worry that the fantasy I had back then will all go away! :thumbdown: I loved a book by EB Called *Smuggler Ben* I read and re-read that book :oops:

Forum Slapper Lush

Posted on

Dolls wrote:Did you read them as a kiddie! I did and I loved them.....Couldnt get enough of them....... :thumb: What amazed me was the *hampers* of grub they had...... :hmmm: I never had that as a kid. Mind you I think they (the kids) were from a *middle Class* family!

Not being funny but it was the language in the book......*Jolly Jumpers what* ?! PMSL but I still loved em. :oops:

I loved 'em too Dolls. Christ knows why they made such a song and dance about EB's stuff. I prefer her to JKR.

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”

I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.

Really Loves Smeggy's
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

Joe's Girl wrote:
Dolls wrote:Did you read them as a kiddie! I did and I loved them.....Couldnt get enough of them....... :thumb: What amazed me was the *hampers* of grub they had...... :hmmm: I never had that as a kid. Mind you I think they (the kids) were from a *middle Class* family!

I loved 'em too Dolls. Christ knows why they made such a song and dance about EB's stuff. I prefer her to JKR.

Awww Anytime! One story.....* All go off to Kirrin Island* :) I loved it ! It was adventure for a kid. somethings we could never dream of doing......ie using our uncles boat to visit an island* :rofl: The kids always had loads of grub! When I was a kid me marf used to water at the grub they had...... :rofl: :yippee:

Grub was always in a basket with a *linen cloth* :roll: PMSL Yeah stories were definatly middle class not for the likes of mwah but I loved em........ I could only *dream* :)

Forum Slapper Lush

Posted on

Deb Arkle wrote:I loved everything Enid Blyton wrote - from Mr Pinkwhistle to Mallory Towers, I read and re-read them dozens of times. I still have them all somewhere, I'll read them again one day no doubt. :D

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Is that on a similar vibe to Seamen Staines and Master Bates from Capt Pugwash

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

Dolls wrote:
Joe's Girl wrote:

Awww Anytime! One story.....* All go off to Kirrin Island* :) I loved it ! It was adventure for a kid. somethings we could never dream of doing......ie using our uncles boat to visit an island* :rofl: The kids always had loads of grub! When I was a kid me marf used to water at the grub they had...... :rofl: :yippee:

Grub was always in a basket with a *linen cloth* :roll: PMSL Yeah stories were definatly middle class not for the likes of mwah but I loved em........ I could only *dream* :)

In the summer, my kids are lucky enough to have a somewhat Enid Blyton type life - they go out in boats, there's an island to land on, "hidden" coves, a ruined farmhouse - cycle rides and picnic. They have loads of independence and just disappear for hours - doing old fashioned kid things - building dens, crab fishing, making bows and arrows.

No linen wrapped picnics though - the local co-op plastic bags for them!

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

MILF

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:

:rofl: :rofl: Smeggy You do have to lower the tone dont you.? :spank: :spank: :spank: :spank: :howl: :howl:

Forum Slapper Lush

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:

Ha ha probably! He was magical, and was often to be seen muttering under his breath..... and then he'd vanish! Sounds a bit odd when you think about it!

Be yourself - everyone else is already taken.

Really Loves Smeggy's
How Hot Are You?: Sahara
Current Mood: Sad

Posted on

etc, etc

it was very un pc - thats why her books fell out of favour with schools and libraries

all the baddies were wild gypsies, or swarthy foreigners.

MILF

Posted on

Whirliegig wrote:

etc, etc

it was very un pc - thats why her books fell out of favour with schools and libraries

all the baddies were wild gypsies, or swarthy foreigners.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Oh dear I love it....... :oops: Like the old sayings ages ago *He's a darkie* :eek: Good grief :hmmm:

Forum Slapper Lush

Posted on

I loved the stories but they were all very *Jolly Hocky sticks what?* I suppose we'd never have that type of life.... Who knows...... :chin:

Forum Slapper Lush

Posted on

they were usually boarding school kids - the famous fives adventures always took place when they were home from school during the "hols"

I rememebr one book called Those Dreadful Children - about a very noisy rowdy family called Hegarty ( wild foreign celtic types) who move in next door to a rather polite, restrained family, and how the children make friends against their better judgement... and how initiallythey rub each other up the wrong way and then become mutually intrigued

and I often think my neigbours must mutter "those dreadful children" about my four wild boys....

MILF

Next

Return to Books