Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Enid Blyton *Fives Books*

Like a good read? You're not the only one! Talk about it here!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

My favourites were Mallory Towers & St Claires, I could never understand why anyone would want to stay in a boarding school though! Odd idea. I read lots of the 'adventure' ones, I remember 'The Mountain of Adventure' best for some reason..... and also the ones with (IIRC) Fatty & Bets, who were child detectives - can't remember the name of the series though! Were they the five books? I seem to recall it was a different gang..... :confused:

Be yourself - everyone else is already taken.

Really Loves Smeggy's
How Hot Are You?: Sahara
Current Mood: Sad

Posted on

Those dreadful Children...( they were called Taggerty, not Heggarty)

Three Carltons - John, Margery and Annette - well-brought-up, prim and proper: next door, four Taggertys - Pat, Maureen, Biddy and baby Michael, with a dog called Dopey-noisy, careless, selfish, not very truthful. What happens when the Carltons meet 'Those Dreadful Children'?

Of course, the irony of the title is that the Taggertys refer to the Carltons as "those dreadful children" too....

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

MILF

Posted on

Whirliegig wrote:Those dreadful Children...( they were called Taggerty, not Heggarty)

Three Carltons - John, Margery and Annette - well-brought-up, prim and proper: next door, four Taggertys - Pat, Maureen, Biddy and baby Michael, with a dog called Dopey-noisy, careless, selfish, not very truthful. What happens when the Carltons meet 'Those Dreadful Children'?

Of course, the irony of the title is that the Taggertys refer to the Carltons as "those dreadful children" too....

Oh Dear Methinks I will have to go the library! :oops: :oops: :)

Forum Slapper Lush
How Hot Are You?: Centre Of The Sun
Current Mood: Eff it.

Posted on

haha!

and the Children of Mistletoe Farm..that was another goodie!

wasnt that about cousins - one branch being from the city, but the dad yearns for the farm life again, and he moves his townie wife and children to the farm next door to his brother..

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

MILF

Posted on

In the same type of thing Anybody remember Lynda Lee Potter (Daily Mail) She used to go on about picnics in the forest/wherever made it sound so magical.! Hmm yes Go in the forest and be surrounded by filthy discarded (you know whats) litter.!

Forum Slapper Lush

Posted on

I used to like the Famous Five, Secret Seven, and the Adventure ones (Island of Adventure, Castle of Adventure, Ship of Adventure, Sea of Adventure....)
And the Faraway Tree as well :D

"Who does the washing? Who does the drying? No one, with this washer dryer" - Jim Bowen

I still need you there beside me
No matter what I do
For I know
I'll never find another you
- The Seekers

"Life is what happens to you when you're away making other plans" - John Lennon

"Names Gene Hunt, your DCI and its 1973. Almost dinner time. I'm havin' hoops!"

Complete Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: What a shitload of fuck

Posted on

Deb Arkle wrote:My favourites were Mallory Towers & St Claires, I could never understand why anyone would want to stay in a boarding school though! Odd idea. I read lots of the 'adventure' ones, I remember 'The Mountain of Adventure' best for some reason.....

I went to a school that had boarders and I was desperate to be one! I begged my Mother to let me live at school but she was having none of it. My favourite book as a child was The Mountain Of Adventure, although I've seen the book as an adult and don't seem to be the same book I recall....the story just isn't right.....so now I'm not sure.

I gobbled up books as a child, much as I do now...and have very fond memories of the worlds I used to escape into . I can still see the pictures I attached to the words in so many books as clearly as if they places were real and I'd been to them! I loved the Famous Five but I never much liked The Secret Seven as there were too many of them for me to relate to.

Posted on

Whirliegig wrote:Those dreadful Children...
with a dog called Dopey-noisy, careless, selfish, not very truthful.

What an odd name for a dog.

Posted on

I once met a woman who had a dog called Colin.

The best name for a Dog I heard in a long time.

My two dogs are called 'Horse' and 'Little Dog Syndrome' - I don't go in for this Fido and Rex nonsense :)

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:I once met a woman who had a dog called Colin.

My two dogs are called 'Horse' and 'Little Dog Syndrome' - I don't go in for this Fido and Rex nonsense :)

:) :) Awwwwww

A friend of mine had a dog called Eric. :rofl: Brilliant.

Forum Slapper Lush

Posted on

Deb Arkle wrote:My favourites were Mallory Towers & St Claires, I could never understand why anyone would want to stay in a boarding school though! Odd idea. I read lots of the 'adventure' ones, I remember 'The Mountain of Adventure' best for some reason..... and also the ones with (IIRC) Fatty & Bets, who were child detectives - can't remember the name of the series though! Were they the five books? I seem to recall it was a different gang..... :confused:

The books with Fatty, etc. were all called "The Adventure of the... Whatever" and I think the gang were called something like The Five Finder-Outers or something. Memory's a bit hazy on this!

This has been a ThinBoy quality post

Loves The place!

Posted on

ThinBoy wrote:
Deb Arkle wrote:My favourites were Mallory Towers & St Claires, I could never understand why anyone would want to stay in a boarding school though! Odd idea. I read lots of the 'adventure' ones, I remember 'The Mountain of Adventure' best for some reason..... and also the ones with (IIRC) Fatty & Bets, who were child detectives - can't remember the name of the series though! Were they the five books? I seem to recall it was a different gang..... :confused:

The books with Fatty, etc. were all called "The Adventure of the Whatever" or maybe they were called "The Mystery of the Whatever" and I think the gang were called something like The Five Finder-Outers or something. Memory's a bit hazy on this!

(Sorry - I clicked the quote button instead of the Edit button. This is what comes of typing in the dark while eating breakfast without spectacles.)

Loves The place!

Posted on

Here we go - They were called the Mystery series:

http://www.enidblyton.net/mystery-series/

Loves The place!

Posted on

ThinBoy wrote:Here we go - They were called the Mystery series:

http://www.enidblyton.net/mystery-series/

Fantastic! Thanks ThinBoy! :thumb:

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

my cat was just called Puss. I quite liked the old fashioned unoriginality of it. A cat doesnt really need a name.

MILF

Posted on

:rofl: Which one is the Morsel Police? Horse perhaps, because (s)he eats like one?

An acquaintance recently introduced her big, daft-looking boxer to me and I thought she said his name was Derek...which is a perfect name for a dog, IMO, but I had simply misheard. I still insist on calling him Derek though. As you do....

Posted on

We saw a film a couple of weeks ago which briefly featured a dog called syndrome - it kept jumping up, so the owner said 'Down Syndrome'! :rofl:

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

Deb Arkle wrote:We saw a film a couple of weeks ago which briefly featured a dog called syndrome - it kept jumping up, so the owner said 'Down Syndrome'! :rofl:

:howl:

Posted on

my EB faves were shadow the sheepdog ,the three golliwogs and the treasure hunters i used to read them over and over again :D

Trying is the first step towards failure...Homer Simpson
"Ahhhhhh bollox.... whats the point "... Me :D
I would like to thank the MOD for all of their support over the years ...thanks for fuck all :fingers:
do whaaaaaa ? :tizzles:

It's all bollocks!
Location: Sunny, scintillating Blackpool . Riiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhtttttt
Current Mood: FUCKIN' FUCKITTY BOLLOCKS !!!

Posted on

^^^^^I think with EB books you can read them over again and never get bored with them..

Forum Slapper Lush

PreviousNext

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Books